Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminar vs Ateres

ettilou

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 9:45 pm
My daughter is considering both of these and I want to hear from other Imamothers who perhaps currently have a daughter in one, considered them for this year and which did you choose and why.....any info. She's a solid BY girl doesn't want to go to an academic sem. We are solid yeshivish but my husband is a professional who learns in boker kollel. I want to find a place she will connect to get teachers where the admin cares about the girls. TIA for any help.

wife2

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 9:52 pm
I went to Seminar abt 5 years ago. It is very big, 100+ girls. There is not so much individual attention from the teachers, the dorm rooms are very crowded (6 girls in most rooms), but it is for a fun, yeshivish, normal girl and is a normal amount of work. Some people may complain that there is a lot of homework and reports but most yeshivish seminaries have that. I personally think a smaller place is better but if your daughter is the type to find her place in a large class and try to get to know teachers anyway then it may be good.

I do not know about Ateres.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 2:07 am
I went to Ateres quite a number of years ago but the programs I'm about to reference were kind of their "pet" ideas and it's still run by the same people so I imagine these components haven't changed, though I'm sure other things change just because that's what time does.

They have many opportunities to connect to teachers on a personal/caring level: Besides for regular classes, they also have small cozy group classes in the teachers' homes, this was a real bonding opportunity (actually since they changed locations to a place farther from most homes I'm not sure if they do this anymore, but hope so.) They also have each student meet with a "mentor" teacher weekly, which is not nebby at all - if a girl is not so much interested in a weekly teacher DMC then they can pick something to learn together, great opportunity to build relationships. I am SO not the getting close and keeping in touch with teachers type but I actually did come to see my mentor-teacher as a big sister of sorts and am still in touch with her somewhat (we only talk maybe once in a couple of years but it's always nice) ten years later.

Regarding academics they have a tracked program, with classes on different academic levels. However I do think they expect each girl to do her best. So if you're just not that good at academics, you won't feel pressured by being in the same class with the same expectations as the smartest girls, but at whatever level you are, you are expected to apply yourself to the studies. I took the highest level because I favor intellectual stimulation even though I wasn't the best student; I found it challenging and engaging but not crushing pressure or insane workloads. Of course it got intense around test time... and they were totally willing to let me take a couple of the classes "lishma" when I felt that it would be too hard for me to actually pass all the tests in all the classes. But that was because they saw that I was sincere, wanted to be in the classes to learn, was participating appropriately, and just kind of stank at tests and stuff. I doubt they would look as kindly on someone who is looking to get away with less because they want seminary to be fun and not work. So when you say your daughter doesn't want an academic seminary, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, this might fit your bill or might not.

You should definitely talk to someone who went more recently though. A lot could change in 10 years. All I'm saying is that the admin is brilliant in the way they structured their program, and even if the program has changed the brilliant admin hasn't so I imagine it is still something very special.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 4:56 am
Another vote for Ateres because of warmth there. It also became way more BY type over the years. I felt that my friend in Seminar was trying to "keep up" both w/ the girls and the learning (can b just this friend's personality). Ateres in general is a warm place from the hanhala, teachers, aim bayits all the way to the girls. There is no clicks bec it's girls from ALL over the world! There are Baltimore, Monsey, Brooklyn, Far Rockaway, (very few Lakewood), Chicago, Miami, LA, Detroit, England....and more! Some years had Australian, South African...
It has a nice out of town feel in terms of warmth. It's about 70 girls devided to 3 classes. Even the lower track has stimulating teachers. I think all teachers actually were the same just lower track tests more modified, a little less HW....
The dorms are very nice. Some rooms have 2 girls, some 3/4/5..depends on size of room. There is central AC and amazing aim bayits who are really just present w/ girls. It is easy to have kesher w/ staff. Everybody finds s/o to connect to. There are 2 staff there for guidance (I think they both are certified life coaches). There is one clas in teacher's house that was optional. They have mechaneches program w/ young married teachers. It's sorta like chabura. Any topics....not a textual class. They make melave malkas/bake by them...they do invite girls over.
They have amazing yemai iyun, shabatons, tiyulim. Also always take care of girls will always have option of being placed and very often have optional in which is nice a staff member always joins so makes it nice atmosphere.
There is very straight approach, no shtick at all. If you have any issues very easy to talk to hanhala.
Good luck w/ decision

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:02 am
Wow! Three cheers for the Ateres alumnus. I am so proud to hear how you described our sem Smile. So thorough and honest. Another Thumbs Up from me Smile

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:38 am
amother wrote:
Another vote for Ateres because of warmth there. It also became way more BT type over the years. I felt that my friend in Seminar was trying to "keep up" both w/ the girls and the learning (can b just this friend's personality). Ateres in general is a warm place from the hanhala, teachers, aim bayits all the way to the girls. There is no clicks bec it's girls from ALL over the world! There are Baltimore, Monsey, Brooklyn, Far Rockaway, (very few Lakewood), Chicago, Miami, LA, Detroit, England....and more! Some years had Australian, South African...
It has a nice out of town feel in terms of warmth. It's about 70 girls devided to 3 classes. Even the lower track has stimulating teachers. I think all teachers actually were the same just lower track tests more modified, a little less HW....
The dorms are very nice. Some rooms have 2 girls, some 3/4/5..depends on size of room. There is central AC and amazing aim bayits who are really just present w/ girls. It is easy to have kesher w/ staff. Everybody finds s/o to connect to. There are 2 staff there for guidance (I think they both are certified life coaches). There is one clas in teacher's house that was optional. They have mechaneches program w/ young married teachers. It's sorta like chabura. Any topics....not a textual class. They make melave malkas/bake by them...they do invite girls over.
They have amazing yemai iyun, shabatons, tiyulim. Also always take care of girls will always have option of being placed and very often have optional in which is nice a staff member always joins so makes it nice atmosphere.
There is very straight approach, no shtick at all. If you have any issues very easy to talk to hanhala.
Good luck w/ decision

TYPO---------NOT BT meant to write BY=Bais Yakov type!!
cant edit bec amother.

You can report your post or pm a mod and ask to have your post corrected. I happened to see this so I did that, but mods don't read every post. -merelyme, as mod

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 7:50 am
If this were posted in Feb. I could see having this discussion now. But are you only applying to one seminary? Or are you trying to decide between these two as the alternates?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 9:18 am
One of my sisters went to Seminar and one went to Ateres. It's been more than 5 years for each. The one who went to Ateres connected to the staff much, much more.

ettilou

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 4:57 pm
Bump

ettilou

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 11:27 pm
Bump

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 12:27 am
I went to Ateres 6 years ago and I agree with all those Ateres amothers who posted here!
I am a B/C student and they really worked with me. When I was in shidduchim (2 years after sem) I kept calling 2 of the teachers for advice and I am still in touch with them today.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 1:21 am
I have 2 nieces who attended Seminar and both said it was excellent. I don't have any more detailed info though.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:07 am
Current Seminar mother. Very happy daughter. Ask me specifics.

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:53 pm
Anyone have more current info about Ateres?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
I went to Ateres quite a number of years ago but the programs I'm about to reference were kind of their "pet" ideas and it's still run by the same people so I imagine these components haven't changed, though I'm sure other things change just because that's what time does.

They have many opportunities to connect to teachers on a personal/caring level: Besides for regular classes, they also have small cozy group classes in the teachers' homes, this was a real bonding opportunity (actually since they changed locations to a place farther from most homes I'm not sure if they do this anymore, but hope so.) They also have each student meet with a "mentor" teacher weekly, which is not nebby at all - if a girl is not so much interested in a weekly teacher DMC then they can pick something to learn together, great opportunity to build relationships. I am SO not the getting close and keeping in touch with teachers type but I actually did come to see my mentor-teacher as a big sister of sorts and am still in touch with her somewhat (we only talk maybe once in a couple of years but it's always nice) ten years later.

Regarding academics they have a tracked program, with classes on different academic levels. However I do think they expect each girl to do her best. So if you're just not that good at academics, you won't feel pressured by being in the same class with the same expectations as the smartest girls, but at whatever level you are, you are expected to apply yourself to the studies. I took the highest level because I favor intellectual stimulation even though I wasn't the best student; I found it challenging and engaging but not crushing pressure or insane workloads. Of course it got intense around test time... and they were totally willing to let me take a couple of the classes "lishma" when I felt that it would be too hard for me to actually pass all the tests in all the classes. But that was because they saw that I was sincere, wanted to be in the classes to learn, was participating appropriately, and just kind of stank at tests and stuff. I doubt they would look as kindly on someone who is looking to get away with less because they want seminary to be fun and not work. So when you say your daughter doesn't want an academic seminary, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, this might fit your bill or might not.

You should definitely talk to someone who went more recently though. A lot could change in 10 years. All I'm saying is that the admin is brilliant in the way they structured their program, and even if the program has changed the brilliant admin hasn't so I imagine it is still something very special.

this post was mine. Update: A bunch of teachers that I loved have moved on (some moved to different locations, at least one got involved in the leadership level of another seminary) but again, it is still run by the same people and the ones running it in my opinion are the seminary's greatest strength.
The location changed since my day which is a shame. I think they did it on purpose because they didn't want to be so close to potentially risky action (like for kids who are looking for trouble) but it was really nice to be walking distance from the Old City, Geulah, and if you're a really good walker then just about anywhere you'd want to go for Shabbos. But maybe the new dorm is nicer, the dorm wasn't especially a strength in my day... passable.
I was talking to a girl in the seminary parsha (going into 12th grade) a few days ago, she already started looking and she reported that Ateres still or again is very mixed and not type-ish, which is one of the reasons I chose it too. Girls from all different backgrounds and very chilled out about that - I mean obviously you need to be ready to toe the line there but not so busy with superficial "frumness" indicators or the like. A majority OOT contingent. I don't know about currently but in my day IIRC was about 1/3 from "in town" areas which when you think about frum world demographics is really not all that much.

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:16 am
Thank you so much for your post! Really clarified things for me.

digitalema

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 6:25 am
I actually heard recently that Seminar is changing its name to Bais Yaakov Seminar and putting emphasis on new programs that teach girls how to lead a Bais Yaakov lifestyle once they set up their own homes. And there's a trip to Poland to see pre-war communities as well as Holocaust sites.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics