Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Yapchik--what to do with meat?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:49 pm
A complete Yapchik novice here, I’ve never even tasted it before. (Otherwise I would have been able to reverse-engineer.) But I’m tempted to try something exotic (for us) and new this shabbat.

Various recipes here indicate flanken. I presume it’s the same as cholent meat, which comes in a large-ish piece or cubed at my local butcher. Do you keep the whole piece, or use the cubed one, or do you have to slice them before they go in the pan? Can I use mince instead?

Secondly, what do I do with the meat? Do I cook before or does it just go straight? Do I need to any seasoning or vegetable?

Does the meat goes on the bottom, or between 2 layers of potato kugel ?

sky

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:21 pm
I cube my meat into bite size pieces to make it easier to eat
I place between layer of kugel - in the middle
Put in kugel raw
no special seasoning for meat other than what is in the kugel (salt, pepper, egg, oil)

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:46 pm
Cut the meat in bite size pieces, sauté in onion & add to raw kugel.

mommyla

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:50 pm
I put it raw and whole in between two layers of potato mixture - it saves time and the meat falls apart anyway, so I don't bother cutting it. When I have more time, I like to caramelize the meat in a bit of sugar first - it adds some softness and flavor, but not that much that I feel like I have to get another pot dirty for it Very Happy

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:56 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
A complete Yapchik novice here, I’ve never even tasted it before. (Otherwise I would have been able to reverse-engineer.) But I’m tempted to try something exotic (for us) and new this shabbat.

Various recipes here indicate flanken. I presume it’s the same as cholent meat, which comes in a large-ish piece or cubed at my local butcher. Do you keep the whole piece, or use the cubed one, or do you have to slice them before they go in the pan? Can I use mince instead?

Secondly, what do I do with the meat? Do I cook before or does it just go straight? Do I need to any seasoning or vegetable?

Does the meat goes on the bottom, or between 2 layers of potato kugel ?

Mrs. Bissli - you've helped me with so many recipes, I'm thrilled to return the favor! Yapchik EXPERT here (lots of teenage sons.......) Here's how I make it. I make a recipe of potato kugel. Put in bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes, just enough so the surface of the kugel is dense enough to support the meat. While it's cooking, I take standard flanken (the kind you use for chulent) and cut it into bite-size pieces. (If it's flanken on the bone, I cut off the bones and save them for the chulent). Then I take the half-baked kugel out of the oven, put the flanken pieces on top of the kugel, trying to distribute them evenly. I put that back into the oven, so the flanken can brown a bit. Then I make a second recipe of potato kugel. As soon as the flanken browns (takes about 10 minutes at 425) I spread the second layer of potato kugel on top of the flanken pieces. Then I bake at 425 for an hour.

Just for reference - this is my standard potato kugel recipe (fits one 8in square pan) 6 potatoes. 1 onion. 4 eggs. Half cup oil. salt and pepper to taste. When I make it for yapchik, I sometimes use 2 onions, because my boys like the onion-ey flavor with the meat.

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:57 pm
And yes, you can use ground meat (mince) for yapchick, but it's less elegant and drier. My kids don't love it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:15 pm
Hi debsey and others,

I'm pleased to report the yapchik came out great! I followed most recommendation, cut the chulent meat into slices and put between the bottom and top potato kugel layers. I was afraid of it being too bland, so coated with 1tbsp BBQ sauce. The meat came out soft and flavourful. I covered the bottom of the baking pan with wax paper otherwise it would have stuck to the bottom of the pan. I didn't use a pan of water underneath, just double covered the foil pan before it went into the oven.

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:46 pm
I make mine according to balabustas choice cookbook
I use regular recipe for kugel 6 potatoes 5 eggs 1 onion salt and pepper and I spicifically use flanken ( it's fatty and it stays moist being in the oven so many hrs) and I just cut in bite size peices and mix into mixture I bake till its browned
I forgot that I do put oil as per the cookbook and cover and bake for the whole night on 200degree
Make sure you cover with heavy foil or it will dry out

sourstix

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 7:48 pm
The meat gets a yummy smokey taste it's heavenly

debsey

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 10:19 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Hi debsey and others,

I'm pleased to report the yapchik came out great! I followed most recommendation, cut the chulent meat into slices and put between the bottom and top potato kugel layers. I was afraid of it being too bland, so coated with 1tbsp BBQ sauce. The meat came out soft and flavourful. I covered the bottom of the baking pan with wax paper otherwise it would have stuck to the bottom of the pan. I didn't use a pan of water underneath, just double covered the foil pan before it went into the oven.
sounds yum! Glad it worked out.

tf

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 5:55 am
I make yapchik once in a while. I can't understand, why is it necessary to work so hard. One big batch of kugel divided in 2 or 3, depending on how much I make, no cutting meat because it becomes so soft, it literally disolves, leave bones on for great taste . Just make the kugel mixture, add into crock pot half, add plain whole pieces meat straight from butcher package, and top with rest of kugel mixture. Turn on dial to 250. THE END

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:15 am
tf wrote:
I make yapchik once in a while. I can't understand, why is it necessary to work so hard. One big batch of kugel divided in 2 or 3, depending on how much I make, no cutting meat because it becomes so soft, it literally disolves, leave bones on for great taste . Just make the kugel mixture, add into crock pot half, add plain whole pieces meat straight from butcher package, and top with rest of kugel mixture. Turn on dial to 250. THE END
crock pot yapchik is a whole different taste and texture. It's more of a "chulent kugel" it's also yummy but it's an entirely different dish.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:23 am
I'm trying to decide if teenage girls (and one 8 year old going on 21) will go for yapchik. I make a big potato kugel on Friday and that's pretty much when it gets eaten (yeah, Toameha and all that....). My kids are into it straight from the oven, why wait for Shabbos?

When do you serve your yapchik, is it for Friday?

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 11:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
I'm trying to decide if teenage girls (and one 8 year old going on 21) will go for yapchik. I make a big potato kugel on Friday and that's pretty much when it gets eaten (yeah, Toameha and all that....). My kids are into it straight from the oven, why wait for Shabbos?

When do you serve your yapchik, is it for Friday?
usually I turn it into an "overnight kugel" and serve it shabbos afternoon. I do it for shabbos rosh chodesh, or for shabbos/yom tov - I serve it alongside the chulent. Like I said - lots of big boys, so meat and potatoes + meat and potatoes is their idea of heaven. I also made it during the week for supper if a boy is making a mini-siyum.
I plan to try Mrs Bissli's idea of adding bbq sauce to a ground meat yapchick to see if that solves the dryness problem and maybe serve it as a special supper.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 12:08 pm
I serve it for shabbos or yom tov lunch whenever I leave my oven on.

I have had it served for Friday night meal when I was a guest, but for some reason just like it more for lunch. Not sure why.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 2:27 pm
With ground meat, it sounds almost like Shepherds Pie.

How do you keep it warm for Shabbos day?

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 2:31 pm
I make it in the crockpot. I don't like to leave my oven on over Shabbos. It took some adjusting but I figured it out, and it tastes the same as it does in the oven.

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 4:05 pm
Chayalle wrote:
With ground meat, it sounds almost like Shepherds Pie.

How do you keep it warm for Shabbos day?
in a 220 degree oven w a pan of water underneath like overnight kugel.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 4:07 pm
Thank you. Gotta run this by the kitchen staff here Smile.

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 7:18 pm
I've made it using cauliflower instead of potato for a low carb version.
It came out yum
I made it mini muffin size 1 per person
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus