Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Getting my boys to bed

Hudigug

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:22 pm
Hi yall. Im having a very hard time getting my 6 and 8 yr old to bed at night. All the neighbors play outside and my boys hate coming in hate bathing hate doing homework and hate going to bed....they were up till 10 last night and I dont consider that functional....please send me positive encouragement and advice. Thank you

LisaS

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:59 am
At around 6 I call my kids in to eat supper, take baths, and get into tomorrow's clothes. Then they can go back outside and play until it gets dark and everyone else goes in. They still go to sleep later than in the winter but it helps a bit. I also make sure they have the fan on - the white noise helps.

Hudigug

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:42 pm
Ylthanx for the response. They sleep in there clothes?

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:50 pm
My is is three. It's a challenge.

I remind her of the day before when she was sooo tired and cranky. Helps sometimes.

Dinner is at 4:30-5:00. Then play. Bath and bed at 6:30-7:00 white noise helps a lot. And slow relaxing music from when they come in till before bed so they don't hear the outside noise as much.

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:55 pm
it's very tempting for kids to be out all hours in the summer months. especially when they know their friends are out. (where are their parents??? shock )

if your kids have a set bedtime during the winter you can sit down with them LISTEN and COMISSERATE with their side, explain your side and then together come up with more appropriate bedtime for the next 2-3 months. one that you are okay with but they don't feel punished or deprived.

also, maybe a treat like a music CD or a bedtime story by you every night will help sweeten the deal for them.

Hudigug

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:06 pm
Ye I shud do that! Ty

sky

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:00 pm
My boys are 8 and 10. Officially they have to be inside by 7:00, especially on school nights. A lot of the boys in the neighborhood are out much later but they know that is when they have to come in. In the summer I plan on extending it to 7:30. I am flexible so if an exciting game is in action I'll give an additional 15 minutes.
They just have to come in then. If not they aren't going out the next day. It hasn't been an issue. They just know the schedule and have watches, they know I'm not calling them in or looking for them. They are very responsible about checking what time they have to come in. coming back exactly on time and asking if they can stay out xtra depending on the situation.

Once they come in - its homework, showers, sometimes a game with me and reading in bed until about 8:30\9:00 ish.

My 6 year old is a girl and we start the routine at 6:00. When my boys were 6 and 8 it was harder because I had my 6 year old going to sleep earlier so they had different schedules.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:25 pm
LisaS wrote:
At around 6 I call my kids in to eat supper, take baths, and get into tomorrow's clothes. Then they can go back outside and play until it gets dark and everyone else goes in. They still go to sleep later than in the winter but it helps a bit. I also make sure they have the fan on - the white noise helps.

sorry but I am having trouble comprehending how this helps ... they get cleaned and relaxed to run amok again & get tomorrows clothing dirty before tomorrow - [I hope they don't sleep in their clothing]

my kids would have been hyper if I did this ...

Maya

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:30 pm
My boys are 10 and 5. I try to get them into bed by 7:30, but the older one can read until 8:30. Lots of the other kids are out until it's dark, which now can be close to 9:00.

If you make it a rule, matter of fact and with no arguing or dramatics, and always enforce it (except for very special circumstances) it will become a habit after a short while and they will stop complaining about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics