Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
HELP! Per diem means???

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:54 pm
New in my field and was just granted an interview for a per diem position where every month could be a different number of shifts. Can someone please explain to me what that means? Can I say no if one interferes with chagim? Or for any other reason? Will I get notice if I am needed? Or is it a 6am call saying please come in at 9? I am new and wanted to know what I theoretically could be getting into...
Help please!!

JGold

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 9:03 pm
Per diem usually means that you are not gaurenteed any amount of work. You are not scheduled- they will call you when they have an opening and need. I'm not sure what type of industry you're working in but in health care it's usually a nurse on call. If they like your ability they will hire you and give you permanent days. That's my experience.....

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 9:17 pm
You get paid by project. So you'll only get paid when they have work for you and time can go by when there is no work and no pay.

SingALong

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:02 pm
In my field per diem means they call you when they need you. On the flip side you can say no I have prior commitments. I know therapists that work per diem and a few places have their number. So if 1 place calls first, the second place can't hire you for that day. clarify with whoever interviewed you to be sure. I can't imagine they expect you to sit by the phone waiting for them to call you. However if they give you the schedule in advance and there's conflicts in scheduling just tell them when they give you the schedule. Or black out yontiff days when they hire you so they know
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics