Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
ISO ways to make up 11th grade English (NYC)

Goldie613

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:42 pm
Hi everyone, someone my family knows did not pass 11th grade English, and her school wants her to make up the work in summer school over the summer.

The problem is that her mom is nervous to have her take classes over the summer in public school. The family is finding their way back to yiddishkeit (long story, not really relevant), and the girl has only been in yeshiva for a year or so. The kid is happy about the idea of hanging out with kids in public school again, but the mom is not happy at the thought of her backtracking down that road.

To further complicate things, the girl was supposed to go to a kiruv camp over the summer, and this summer school requirement is making that seem impossible.

Does anyone know of any yeshivas that offer summer school classes? What about kiruv programs that offer end-of-summer programs (with financial assistance being available) to make up for the summer program that she may have to miss?

Alternately, anyone know of other options to make up classes that don't involve attending regular classes over the summer?

Tizku L'Mitzvot - thanks everyone

shoshiesavannah

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 6:07 pm
You should check if NYC has an online school option available for the summer. Many children take online classes through the school system for various reasons.

momX4

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:37 pm
If its a regent she needs to retake then she may be able to take it in the mountains. It may be in the local public school, but there may be plenty of jewish kids there as well.

I remember some kids in camp getting tutored by staff and then getting a ride to the testing site.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:39 pm
momX4 wrote:
If its a regent she needs to retake then she may be able to take it in the mountains. It may be in the local public school, but there may be plenty of jewish kids there as well.

I remember some kids in camp getting tutored by staff and then getting a ride to the testing site.

Regent is after 12th grade.
4 years of English are required for a diploma.

momX4

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 8:47 pm
cnc wrote:
Regent is after 12th grade.
4 years of English are required for a diploma.

Sorry, Im out of school to long to remember........
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics