Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Cheaper gear alternatives?

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:19 am
I am sending allergic DD to a regular day camp this summer and she's getting older and getting around more anyway, so I was thinking of buying her an allergy alert bracelet and a carrier for her epipens so they'll be more handy (previously she was in more of a classroom setup, and in a nut-free environment, and not yet allergic to soy...)

They are all so expensive, though! I tried a few different websites and my total keeps going OVER $30 for just an epipen case, bracelet, and shipping.

Anyone have clever solutions to these things, is there something else cheaper that can be repurposed for this?

The case needs to fit two epipens, have some kind of clip/strap, and be insulated. A clear pocket for ID/info would be nice too.

The bracelet needs to be comfortable for a small kid and needs to clearly display 3 different foods she's allergic to (one of which is not on any of the default pre-made ones, not that those are that much less expensive anyway.)

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:18 am
Are you a member at kidswithfoodallergies.org? That's the best place to get answers to such questions.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:40 am
Have you checked on Etsy? A lot of moms are starting to make products for special kids, since they haven't had any luck shopping for themselves, and they've found a niche.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 9:47 am
Thanks for that link.
I did check etsy and found some great carriers but the price range was the same or higher than the retail ones.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:26 am
Back when I was a kid with allergies and asthma in the 80s and 90s, there were almost no allergy related products. I carried around my epipen and inhalers in a fanny pack. I highly recommend them - they don't interfere in activities (even less than a clip on pouch) and stay on well and many are water resistant. I never had them insulated - no one really thought about it. They must make insulated fanny packs though (I know they have ones with insulated water bottle pockets). If not, you could always line the pockets with something yourself to insulate it. Or you could buy insulated sandwich bags and put the epipens inside the insulated sandwich bag inside the fanny pack. ($3-5 for a cheap fanny pack + $3-5 for insulted sandwich bag = $6-10. Not bad).

As for a medic-alert bracelet or similar. They are expensive. When I was little, they were like $70 or $80 - you're getting a good deal these days. Also, if you're going to get her something, a bracelet stays on better than a necklace. Regardless, I do think it is worth the expense.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:31 am
I never heard of insulated sandwich bags but that sounds perfect, will look into it!

My main issue for the bracelet first, before cost, is finding something comfortable for a skinny little kid to wear. Any suggestions? I found one cuff made out of fabric that snaps shut, which looks more comfortable than the silicone band type, but it is very wide.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:31 pm
My only issue with the fabric ones is how they feel when wet. Especially if your daughter is at camp and going swimming. And if she takes it off for swimming, she may not remember to put it back on etc. I personally find the metal ones with thin chains best for skinny little arms, but I think they are probably the most expensive.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 6:24 pm
Look what I found!

free basic case when register epipen (brand only)
https://www.epipen.com/en/my-e.....ofile
epipen.ca offers a fanny pack instead which could be more useful but I'm not sure if it would work for US customers.

Inexpensive engraved stainless steel bracelet
https://www.amazon.com/Medic-I.....6XB3X
Wonder if it's any good and if a little kid would feel comfortable wearing one all the time - I had been looking at the more sporty ones - but at that price I guess it's worth a try.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:50 pm
My daughter's been wearing a similar bracelet since she's around 3. She's never complained about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics