Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Stealing and lying

malky800

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 11:47 am
My ADHD son is 8 yrs old and has been on meds for 6 months now.
I am having alot of problems with taking food without permission, lying and now even stealing.

I put my nosh in a locked cabinet and he keeps finding the key in my different hiding places, and I am constantly finding wrappers all over his room and bottom of the garbage can.
At the begining I was punishing with he would lose his nosh priveledge on shabbos.
That didn't work, so I made him pay for the candy
then I just ignored it.

The bigger problem is that he outrights lies, no I wasn't the one who took it, even though I can find the wrappers.

But now I am catching him coming home from a store with something in his pocket. they went on a candy tour with camp and he came home with a candy. He said they gave it out, and we asked the counselor and they said no.

And now I just found a container I bought for shabbos of cake frosting, empty.
I am so at my wits end!!!

Since I wasn't getting anywhere with all these punishments, my husband we should stop negative punishments, but try to work positive whenever we think he didn't take anything that day. But I think it's a total joke, becuase he lies all about it. I have no idea how bad the situation is

It drives me crazy that with the meds he isn't hungry for real meals, but now I know he is really eating candy the rest of the day.
With his condition I wonder if he really is ADHD or just constantly on a sugar high.

Has anyone had a little kid like this and has practical solutions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)