Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Cute Stories
Wildlife Sightings!

Volunteer

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 11:25 am
Last Friday night, my toddler and I saw 3 fledgling barred owls together in a pine tree near my house. They were adorable, with big dark eyes, pointy little beaks, round bodies, and speckled feathers. One was rummaging around in the ornamental grass near the tree, presumably hunting for mice or some other small animal. They were looking right at us, bobbing their heads. Toddler said, "Hooo." We watched each other for a while until some more people came along, and they flew away.

I am still very excited! You hardly ever see owls.

Please share some of your most fascinating, cute, funny, or exciting wildlife sightings!

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 1:39 pm
Wow! That's exciting. We have groundhogs, chipmunks, squirrels, birds (orioles and robins mostly, sometimes bluejays), and a couple of bunny nests currently in our yard with tiny babies inside. So cute!

Volunteer

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:01 pm
Aww baby rabbits...

anotherima

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:03 pm
I saw a red fox in my back yard recently.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:04 pm
One time we were walking in a park with some friends. Someone pointed to two bald eagles saying, "look, a pair of eagles!"
Our friends' uncle looked around confused, "a paralegal???"

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:08 pm
The other day at bedtime, we saw a fox with a couple of pups running and tumbling around a pile of sand behind out building. They did not respond when my two year old called out to them.

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:25 pm
Volunteer wrote:
Aww baby rabbits...

They are SO cute. My kids are crazy about them. I think the chipmunks have a nest somewhere too.

Volunteer

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 3:08 pm
Iymnok wrote:
One time we were walking in a park with some friends. Someone pointed to two bald eagles saying, "look, a pair of eagles!"
Our friends' uncle looked around confused, "a paralegal???"

Wow, bald eagles!
I once saw a bald eagle in a state park. It swooped down to catch a chipmunk or something. Majestically

Volunteer

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 3:09 pm
Iymnok wrote:
The other day at bedtime, we saw a fox with a couple of pups running and tumbling around a pile of sand behind out building. They did not respond when my two year old called out to them.

Sweet

studying_torah

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 3:10 pm
A few deer ran across our lawn when we lived in South Jersey. Was so beautiful to see them up close, not just alongside the highway

Volunteer

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:21 pm
We saw a Luna moth last night. It was the size of my hand, light green, and it had fuzzy antennae. Cool

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:26 pm
We have deer, foxes, groundhogs, chipmunks... no more rabbits 'cuz the foxes ate them for dinner. I live in Baltimore City. Who needs a bungalow colony? Wink

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 8:00 am
My sisters colony had a black bear. So scary!!

myself

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 8:48 am
Do foxes in our backyard count? Honestly, I hope not to see one in the city ever again. Wildlife belong in the wild!

Last year on vacation we saw a number of rabbits scurrying around. So adorable!

Volunteer

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 10:23 am
Many animals have adapted to city and suburban environments. They live wherever they can. It's their planet to inhabit too.

myself

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 10:55 am
Volunteer wrote:
Many animals have adapted to city and suburban environments. They live wherever they can. It's their planet to inhabit too.

Whilst I agree, some animals can pose a danger. Foxes are generally okay however children have been attacked in the past and that has me very nervous. One also sneaked into my friends open door at one point.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 11:44 am
Dh saw a red velvet ant yesterday at work.
Not actually an ant at all, but a type of wasp! They run very fast, and the males can fly. They lay their eggs in beehives and eat bee larvae.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 12:48 pm
We have tree frog tadpoles in our pond. Proud parents are shepping nachas in in the dogwood trees a few yards away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics