Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Fiddler on the roof Appropriate for young boys?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

leah233

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 1:31 pm
DrMom wrote:
True the main character is not learned, and perhaps he cannot separate minhag from halacha (which wouldn't make him much different from many people on these boards...), but he has reverence for yahadut, and tries to keep to the correct path, even when his ways are being challenged.

He may not understand all the halachic ins and out (he laments not having the time to learn -- his fondest wish is to have the wealth necessary to have the luxury to sit and learn all day), but he knows that halacha and minhag are what has kept Jews alive throughout the millenia, and he strives to preserve these important lifelines to the past and the future even during a period of tremendous upheaval.

No, the film is not perfect, but I am quite surprised by the strong negative reactions here. It's not an idealized biography of a godol -- it's the story of a simple but good Jew.

That is the point of the film. They take straw men ignoramuses to represent Orthodox Judaism but only have intelligent imposing characters representing the anti frum view.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 1:32 pm
I don't think anyone is taking it out of proportions. It's an amazing movie with great lessons for adults. but for young chasidish boys with a father that's has a spiritual challenge (that the kids very possibly picked up on) it's not very appropriate, IMO.

perquacky

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 1:53 pm
leah233 wrote:
That is the point of the film. They take straw men ignoramuses to represent Orthodox Judaism but only have intelligent imposing characters representing the anti frum view.

The main character is not educated, but really, how many men in those days were? Tevye was a "simple" man. He could read and daven. He didn't learn because he had to work. He even sings about how he wishes he could sit and learn all day in the song "If I Were a Rich Man."

I don't think you can describe Perchik as being "anti-frum." He is a man with a secular education, which was rare at that time, but no one says that he isn't religious.

The movie/Broadway play is based on the stories of Shalom Aleichem about Tevye der Milkhiker. If you don't think your sons should see a musical, fine. But if you want them to know the story, have them watch the Yiddish movie "Tevye." No singing, no dancing, and depressing as heck.

Thanks for reminding me to check my TDF account to see what the going price of Broadway tickets is. I think I'm going to take the whole family.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:42 am
Op here.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I see its a story which can start conversation with my kids about tradition and change. Didn't decide yet if they'll go or not, but I can see if not now, then it's going to be a discussion again in a short while. Any advice on how I can give the best message to my kids? How can I explain to them what my issues are about them seeing this show, and if they do see it, how can I best bring across a positive message about the storyline? I know DH will have his own view to open them to.

Id rather they shouldn't go at all, but if dh will not give up then, I'm thinking maybe at least let it be something with hashkafa that I agree to. Any suggestions of a more suitable show for kids, with a positive message?

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 8:59 am
What about blue Man Group?
I've never seen it, only read about it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:10 am
Iymnok wrote:
I don't like the hashkafa of it. Skip the song when their half dressed.
There are much better clean films out there.
half dressed? In fiddler on the roof? I dont know, I saw fiddler on the roof about 25 years ago and there were no half dressed people. Its portraying shtetl life. Why would anyone not be completely covered? When I saw it, I dont think there were half dressed people. Maybe the play has changed since then.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
half dressed? In fiddler on the roof? I dont know, I saw fiddler on the roof about 25 years ago and there were no half dressed people. Its portraying shtetl life. Why would anyone not be completely covered? When I saw it, I dont think there were half dressed people. Maybe the play has changed since then.

I saw it very recently and I'm almost sure everyone was dressed completely tznius.

Maya

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:23 am
If he doesn't want them missing out on Broadway shows, there are so many kid oriented shows they would enjoy way more than Fiddler.

Besides the fact that it is way above their level of comprehension, especially given their background.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:22 am
The Lion King is amazing
The Finding Neverland movie was a beautiful and clean- I don't know much about the show.

Besides for the hashkafic issues I don't think its age appropriate....

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:41 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I'm remembering them getting dressed for Shabbos and singing something. Then again it's been over 10 years.

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:51 am
Fiddler on the Roof....Fiddler on the Roof...how do I love thee!!!!?!??

I grew up obsessed with the movie and even "starred" (LOL) as Hodel away at Jewish overnight camp in my youth when we did that play.

Disclaimer - I am MO and I know some reading this are of various Jewish cultures. For me, there is no problem with the show. I saw it on Broadway a few months ago, in fact, and loved it more than ever.

It is a thought provoking storyline - about the effects of assimilation, about persecution, about community values and challenges.

The costumes are not immodest at all. Yes, there is the issue of Kol Isha (not an issue for me personally, but I could see how many more right winged Orthodox wouldn't like that).

And now, I am singing Fiddler songs in my head!! : )))

glamourmom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:57 am
BB, I agree with you and I'm not MO. it's thought provoking, entertaining and has great messages. I love the songs and sing them all the time. and yenta. everybody loves a yenta.

most people on here don't have a problem with the movie either. but for impressionable young chasidish boys I can see this being problematic.

no nudity but lots of dancing between sexes, some making out - not extreme, many mixed messages. none of this is a problem for an adult but a young kid....

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 2:35 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I'm remembering them getting dressed for Shabbos and singing something. Then again it's been over 10 years.
No, definitely no undressed women at all. They were probably changing their aprons or putting on kerchiefs. It was a kosher play in terms of dress.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:04 pm
Double post

Last edited by pointyshoes on Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:05 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No, definitely no undressed women at all. They were probably changing their aprons or putting on kerchiefs. It was a kosher play in terms of dress.

There's a singing scene of the girls in their underwear. Which is a lot more covered than today's underwear but its clearly underwear and I dont know if that's appropriate for 12 yo chassidish boys.

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:11 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
There's a singing scene of the girls in their underwear. Which is a lot more covered than today's underwear but its clearly underwear and I dont know if that's appropriate for 12 yo chassidish boys.

This was definitely not how it was on Broadway. Maybe in the movie.
On Broadway they were completely dressed by that scene.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:15 pm
cnc wrote:
This was definitely not how it was on Broadway. Maybe in the movie.
On Broadway they were completely dressed by that scene.

Well in that case, I dont see why it shouldn't be appropriate. But they may find it boring. I'm sure there's better stuff more geared to their age group.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:16 pm
pointyshoes wrote:
I never saw the movie. I saw the play. No undressing there.
I also think this play is not appropriate for chassidish boys, but I was just pointing out that in the play there was no undressing.

rzab

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:19 am
I'm not sure if it's appropriate for your children or not. The movie and play are very similar- maybe you could watch the movie and decide if it would be right for your kids. I think its on youtube.

I find it a surprising that everyone felt that that message was so inappropriate. The whole premise of the story is that tradition is what holds us up. It does not glorify assimilation at all. In fact if you are paying close attention the story line, every time someone does something to become more modern or assimilated, it is immediately followed by a scene where troubles find them. The more assimilation, the more trouble.

Just as a few examples:
-after tevya goes to meet with the butcher and they dance with the russians in the bar, the next scene, the russian official comes to warn tevya that trouble will be brewing for the Jewish community.

-immediately after the mixed dancing scene, there is a pogrom at the wedding

-after chava goes and marries the russian, they are expelled from Anatevka

like someone posted previously, this is very true to what happened to many shtetls and it can lead to a lot of great eye opening conversations about Jewish history and assimilation and modernity

chavs

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:25 am
I would think the general concepts would be a bit beyond them from what I remember of it. I'd suggest taking them to something like Wicked or the lion king or mattilda instead, they might get more out of that.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics