Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children's Books You Would Like to See
1  2  3  4  Next

BasMelech120

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 2:27 pm
So, I am in the process of developing several manuscripts for children's books, and was interested in learning more about the needs and wants for children's' books within the community.

What would you like to see more of?
What type of characters/story-lines would you/your children find most attractive in a book?
Do you prefer fiction or non/fiction? Why?

For special situations (e.g. siblings of a child who is sick, child with an illness, hospitalization, etc.):
Would you find a medically themed line of books interesting for children? Why or why not?

These are only a few questions, but I would love to hear any comments, thoughts, and ideas on this topic... Thank you so much!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 2:57 pm
I like the "what would you do?" format.

I'd like to see books on good choices, and developing resilience.

Books on tolerance of others, and on getting to know your own strengths and growth potential.

I would also like more fun yiddish simple picture or eveb board books, like "I love you because you are you" and "the invisible string".

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:39 pm
Before anything else, please, I beg of you: DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING IN RHYME.

Please.

--

I'm not really up-to-date on all the latest Jewish books, so I don't know what's popular or has already been done, so I don't know if my suggestions are helpful/feasible?

Well-researched non-fiction about frum figures are a niche that can't be filled by secular books about science, history, etc.

Like the way that there are children's biographies about Amelia Earhart and Louis Pasteur and George Washington... they could be straightforward biography-style informational books following their life or discoveries, etc. Or books like "Beethoven Lives Upstairs" which is written from the fictional point of view of a little boy whose parents sublet their attic to the famous composer. But since it's from a child's perspective it's less dry and school-book-ish and you get a sense of the humanity of a famous person.

I'm blanking right now on specific Jewish figures to write about, but I wouldn't want it all be roshei yeshiva or something... girls need role models too, and boys need examples of Torah LIVING not just Torah learning.

I personally love science, so a kid's-eye-view of the Rambam's medical practice, or the Ralbag's astronomical expertise (they even named a crater on the moon for him!) would make me really excited.

yomomf

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:49 pm
My kids like books that rhyme. They like to guess/remember and fill in the blanks.

I like the idea of books that give social skills/ how to deal with different situations but also just fun ones that aren't so heavy.

My kids love yossi and laibel and once upon a time etc

they are 6 and under

Maryann

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:22 pm
Books that are not too long, like I love reading book to my kids but sometimes they are so long I hate it

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:30 pm
Manners Rolling Eyes

Teach kids how to act like a Frum Jew by using What's app to make up lies about people and spread these rumors far and wide.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:41 pm
please no rhyming! There are plenty of Jewish books that rhyme no need for more.

Please keep in mind American concept of safety (don't know about other countries, how much freedom kids are given)- like don't have the six year old going to the store by himself. I feel like so many times I have to point out that what the kids in the book are doing are NOT things we consider safe, may be in Israel it's different but I read these stories about the 8 yr old who is supposed to be watching his two year old brother at the playground and totally forgets about him and then the 2 yr old gets lost and someone else finds him, I mean it definitely illustrates why we have the safety rules we do but still!

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:42 pm
I'd love a toilet-training book for my toddler
a getting a new sibling book for all ages specifically the youngest right before the baby

I also hate books that are restricted by rhyme.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 4:45 pm
I agree with the no rhyming! It's ridiculously overdone in frum books, and most of the time it's done poorly in a way that detracts from the story and seriously compromises the writing.

What I would like to see in frum books is some subtlety. Not every book has to bash us in a face with a message. It doesn't even need to be stated outright.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
I'd love a toilet-training book for my toddler
a getting a new sibling book for all ages specifically the youngest right before the baby

I also hate books that are restricted by rhyme.

If you're actually looking for those books, we got this one https://theseforimsale.com/pro.....r-own as a baby present. My kids love it.

I've never read this, but: https://mekorjudaica.com/I-can......html

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 5:27 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I agree with the no rhyming! It's ridiculously overdone in frum books, and most of the time it's done poorly in a way that detracts from the story and seriously compromises the writing.

What I would like to see in frum books is some subtlety. Not every book has to bash us in a face with a message. It doesn't even need to be stated outright.

Actually, rhyming done right is fantastic and great for reading readiness.
I know what you mean about the messages. Last year, in Hamodia's first week in July Binyan (children's magazine) there was a great, FUN story about kids who had to spend their summer family vacation with their grandparents at a seniors' village, instead of going on their normal wilderness adventure. It was so refreshing.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:12 pm
I wish there was a children's book about parents remarrying after a divorce.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:

In general more divorce books.

There is only one out there, "I live with my mommy", and going by the Amazon comments section, it seems to cut the father out of their lives when what kids really need is to be reassured of both their parents' love.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:

How would that go?

"Mommys getting married,
I'm so screwed.
My life will never be the same again,
How long till I turn 18 and can move out?"

Snickers18

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:27 pm
Good editing, diversity of characters, and mentschlichkeit are 3 things that come to mind.

tf

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:28 pm
Books on emotions and how to deal with it for 2-3 year old children, bombaloo type stories, Rainbow fish.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
In general more divorce books.

There is only one out there, "I live with my mommy", and going by the Amazon comments section, it seems to cut the father out of their lives when what kids really need is to be reassured of both their parents' love.
My six year old actually loves that book. It is true that it doesn't include anything about visitation though. It definitely does talk about both parents loving the children, and is a great springboard for conversations about divorce. I wish there was something similar about remarriage.

tf

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:34 pm
Tragic, but actual. A book about losing a loved one for young children. As a teacher for pre-k, I had to make kids aware of what they're going through, and a good childish book would absolutely help.

BasMelech120

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:53 pm
I love the influx of ideas! Hearing from other amothers is an amazing way for me to scope out the 'good stuff' on my idea board and working from there. Keep the ideas coming!... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BasMelech120

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 9:56 pm
tf wrote:
Tragic, but actual. A book about losing a loved one for young children. As a teacher for pre-k, I had to make kids aware of what they're going through, and a good childish book would absolutely help.

Thank you for bringing that up. I am actually working on a series of books for children within the medical line, e.g. losing a loved one; living with a chronic illness; living with sudden illness; the hospital world; grief and other emotions surrounding a medical ordeal; etc. I wish there was no need for it, but sadly I know that there is...

Are there any specific pointers that you would ensure in such a book, given your personal experience with children in that situation?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics