Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Spinoff- I ebf but want to supplement, help!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:21 pm
gold21 wrote:
I breastfeed about 75-80 percent of the time
(Ive always done it this way, as thats how much milk im able to produce- without various La-Leche-approved extreme methods)
And bottle feed the rest
Has not impacted bonding
Part of being bonded with your child is being attuned to their needs
I gave my baby 2 oz of formula just a couple of minutes ago. I nursed 2 hours ago. Tongue Out

(I also give formula in hospital, as my colostrum does not seem to be very filling. Does not affect nursing at all, my babies have all taken to nursing like pros. BH.)

OT, but I have the opposite problem of the op. I would love to do what you do gold, but my current baby only goes for the boob. I would love to supplement sometimes but she cries when I try. I've tried different bottles and formulas. I starting giving solids at 5 months too just to help her not want to nurse non stop. Any advice??

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:26 pm
Honestly im not sure why it works well for me.
Do you think its maybe because I mix breast and bottle from Day 1? Like, the baby gets used to both from the get-go? (Even though every time the nurses in the hospital warn me that if I supplement with a bottle its gonna cause issues with nursing- it hasnt, thankfully. B"H)

Basically, I supplement with a bottle in the hospital for about 50 percent of the feeds, until my milk comes in. (I think my colostrum must be defective or something lol cuz it doesnt satisfy at all)

Once my milk comes in I nurse nearly 100 percent of the time, and only give a small bottle once a day to keep the baby accustomed to it.

Then, when the baby is about a month old and eating more, I simply cannot keep up with the demand for breastmilk, and end up supplementing about 20-25 percent of the time.

Hope that helps somewhat..... Good Luck Tongue Out

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:40 pm
I had to supplement that first week too because my baby was dehydrated from colostrum. Just since I've been successful giving a bottle 2-3 times she usually refuses Sad

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:32 pm
Bump

ohmygosh

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 10:45 pm
You can't be the one to give it to her. She will smell your milk and refuse. When she's hungry, go out of the room and have your DH try.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:36 am
Nope she won't even take bottles from my babysitter while I'm not home Sad

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
Nope she won't even take bottles from my babysitter while I'm not home Sad

No advice it's hard. And all I ended up doing was spilling out the milk I wasted my timing pumping.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 12:45 am
Have you tried a sippy cup instead of a bottle?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:51 am
nicole81 wrote:
Have you tried a sippy cup instead of a bottle?

Interesting she just turned 6 months though?

otsrock

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 3:34 pm
If she's refusing formula from your babysitter, she's not as hungry as you think. It could be her "nursing all the time" is just for comfort. You might want to try a pacifier, if you haven't already.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting she just turned 6 months though?

I have a child who was EBF and refused to take any sort of artificial nipple but was able to drink from a sippy cup by 2-3 months old (I think the first years brand). It's worth a try!

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 8:40 pm
You can also try giving a little formula on a baby spoon, to get her used to the taste.

It can be a battle of wills.

In situations where there is no choice (mother is hospitalized, for instance), a baby may scream and protest at first, but will ultimately accept the bottle.

Decide how important this issue is to you.

Pretty much guaranteed, it will not be the last time in your life that you and your child clash over limits.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 10:33 pm
Thanks. It's important because I am mostly with her but sometimes can't be and I want her to be able to eat then too! Maybe I could try a sippy cup.

libbas

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 10:43 pm
My baby didnt take any bottles either, and I wasnt able to leaver her anywhere. I tried the sippy cup, and had other people feeding her the bottle but she refused everything. At about 6 months, and at my wits end, I mixed some formula with baby cereal and fed it to her with a medicine dropper. Then I slowly diminished the baby cereal until it was only formula. I mixed in the cereal to give a sweeter taste.
After a week or two I started the bottle and BH she took it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics