Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
English-language nerds needed- Duolingo

water_bear88

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 3:12 pm
The placement test put me at level 12. I'll be the first to admit my English is not what it used to be, but I'm sure half the "mistakes" I got marked down for were legitimate translations. In what way is "The musicians get ready for the yearly concert" different from "The musicians prepare for the annual concert"? The latter is my translation, the former is the correction I was given.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 3:27 pm
May I ask which language you're translating from?
I actually think yours sounds better. It's not necessarily wrong, it could just be that the program doesn't have your response in the system as a correct response.
There's usually an option to Report a Problem, and then submit "My translation should be accepted".

water_bear88

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 3:29 pm
Thanks- I guess because it's so new I may be the first one reporting a lot of these issues, so I'm starting to second-guess myself.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 3:34 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Thanks- I guess because it's so new I may be the first one reporting a lot of these issues, so I'm starting to second-guess myself.

Oh is this related to the other thread? Yeah, it seems like it's new so I would expect that there are some issues. I also checked it out and was reporting some stuff. Not sure if accepted but I think that it's good that we do that.

Actually, just reread and per the other thread, it seems like it's still in the beta (testing) stage, so I think they actually want feedback to improve it before it's officially released in final. If our changes are accepted, then one day we can be like, "Yeah, duolingo Hebrew? I helped out with that." Smile Smile

m in Israel

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:46 am
I just got an email from them that they got my report and are now accepting my answer as well (I had translated "מעל" in a sentence as "on top of"). So they clearly are responding to reports -- I guess this is what it means to be in the "beta" stages.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 5:01 am
I'm finding it a lot less annoying now that I've finished a couple of subjects. When you do a lesson for the first time, you have to get every. Single. Word. the way they typed it in in a few of the lessons (Music comes to mind), correct English be darned. Once you're strengthening skills, though, they stop-force-feeding you the same sentences over and over.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics