Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Mens' Short Sleeve Shirts

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 4:57 pm
Not sure whether to put this here, or under Halacha.

DH wears short sleeve shirts in the summer. I tell him it's not fair that I can't wear them too. I tell him that he's flashing his zexy, zexy elbows at every woman in the street. When we got married, those elbows became MINE, and I don't want to share them with the whole world!

I don't know how he can expect women to control themselves, with those manly elbows driving them wild. We all know that we weak women can't contain our urges, right?

I'm only half joking.

Does your DH wear short sleeves? If so, how does he justify not covering them?

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 5:34 pm
I don't know of anyone that considers mens' elbows ervah.

I do know some men that are makpid to wear long sleeves and I believe it's because if they touch their arms above the elbow, they need to wash their hands from the tumah...so it's more for convenience sake?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:14 am
My DH and his dad are the only men I know that wear short sleeve button down shirts. I am having a very hard time finding them in the stores. DH has a hard time finding shirts that fit him good. One store recently told me to get the long sleeves shortened.

I would prefer is he wears only long sleeves, its more classy. He can always wear a short sleeve tshirt.

When DH complains that his supply is dwindling, since I trash the ones I deem unwearable, I tell him that I have to wear long sleeves. He can survive like I do.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 3:37 am
DH switches to short sleeves as soon as the weather hits 65° or so, except on shabbos when he wears long sleeved white shirts. My father and brothers also wear short sleeves in warm weather.

It doesn't feel inequitable to me. I much prefer my lightweight summer clothing even with a shell to wearing an undershirt, tzitzis, and a shirt. Not to mention a suit jacket on top of all that on shabbos or when business casual is not sufficient. And don't get me started on ties!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 28 2016, 12:15 pm
it's always a wonder to me ... then again I roll my sleeves so high I opted to wear short sleeves

I know men who go both ways ... some only wear long - others change to short when hot - some whom will wear t-shirts or more sporty shirts on weekdays

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 6:04 pm
cnc wrote:
I don't know of anyone that considers mens' elbows ervah.

I do know some men that are makpid to wear long sleeves and I believe it's because if they touch their arms above the elbow, they need to wash their hands from the tumah...so it's more for convenience sake?

Why do you think there's tumah in the arms above the elbow? Because it's a part of the body that's usually covered. So while no one will call a man's upper arm ervah, it's definitely a hanhaga tova to cover it.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
My DH and his dad are the only men I know that wear short sleeve button down shirts. I am having a very hard time finding them in the stores. DH has a hard time finding shirts that fit him good. One store recently told me to get the long sleeves shortened.

I would prefer is he wears only long sleeves, its more classy. He can always wear a short sleeve tshirt.

When DH complains that his supply is dwindling, since I trash the ones I deem unwearable, I tell him that I have to wear long sleeves. He can survive like I do.

Does your husband dictate to you what kind of shirts you can wear?

I'm finding lots of beautifully fitting short sleeved button down shirts this season. My husband wears them all year round so I'm constantly looking out for them.

OP, I'm kinda surprised at your post. I never realized that short sleeves for men was an issue outside of the ultra-Chassidsh world. Even in the Satmar world I've come across men who wear them.

I also don't understand the "jealousy" of women wanting their men to wear long sleeves because they have to.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:23 pm
Maya wrote:
Does your husband dictate to you what kind of shirts you can wear?

I'm finding lots of beautifully fitting short sleeved button down shirts this season. My husband wears them all year round so I'm constantly looking out for them.

OP, I'm kinda surprised at your post. I never realized that short sleeves for men was an issue outside of the ultra-Chassidsh world. Even in the Satmar world I've come across men who wear them.

I also don't understand the "jealousy" of women wanting their men to wear long sleeves because they have to.

Honestly my DH looks great in a certain brands of shirts. He has a wide neck and needs a bigger size with a slim fit to close the button. He usually wears it open anyway, but the slim fit looks great on him. He purchased cheap short sleeve shirts that look horrible on him, He can gain 50 pound and it might still fit. He only wears white button down shirts to work.

I live in Monsey as well and would love to know where I can find nice white short sleeve shirts.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:35 pm
My husband wears short sleeved shirts year round.
Gets them at the shirt place in Monsey.

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 11:44 pm
amother wrote:
Honestly my DH looks great in a certain brands of shirts. He has a wide neck and needs a bigger size with a slim fit to close the button. He usually wears it open anyway, but the slim fit looks great on him. He purchased cheap short sleeve shirts that look horrible on him, He can gain 50 pound and it might still fit. He only wears white button down shirts to work.

I live in Monsey as well and would love to know where I can find nice white short sleeve shirts.

I saw at least one at the Perry Ellis outlet in Bergen outlets. Also at H&M. I would look in the stores at that mall, a few of the stores had them. Short sleeved linen shirts are pretty popular now, too.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
My husband wears short sleeved shirts year round.
Gets them at the shirt place in Monsey.

Ill ask them again. Last time I was there they didnt have short sleeve in slim fit.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 12:02 am
Maya wrote:
I saw at least one at the Perry Ellis outlet in Bergen outlets. Also at H&M. I would look in the stores at that mall, a few of the stores had them. Short sleeved linen shirts are pretty popular now, too.

Thank you. My budget only allows for washable shirts. There is no way I am ironing linen shirts. I have to do return at the mall soon, I will look out for shirts where I go

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:56 am
Land's End has non iron short sleeve shirts. You can do pretty well when they have sales.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics