Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me plan a week in NY State for me and DH in August

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 3:16 am
So DH and I are planning of flying to the US for the last week of August (24-30-full days).

We've been to Manhattan several times (most recently in November), we we're looking to see different things this time, more nature, hikes, water, less city (however we will be spending at least a day in Manhattan maybe go see a show on Broadway or something) one day of good shopping.

I was thinking Upstate NY - we've passed through Lake George in the fall once years ago and said we should return in the summer - is it worth the trip as a couple in late August. But am open to other suggestions.

Tell me what you think about this itinerary:

Wed. Arrive early morning, drive to Upstate NY stock up with food for the trip in a supermarket on the way. Stay at a motel with a microwave and fridge. Now I am looking for a good hiking spot - water/bikes a plus, I'm not super fit - so nothing too difficult. I am looking for scenery that is very different from Israel - because we will be coming straight from three days tiyul in the north of Israel.

Thurs. hike/bike/kayak/raft - whatever all day.

So now is the dilemma - do I stay Upstate for Shabbat - and then spend Friday tiyul/sightseeing but where would it be best to stay for Shabbat? I was thinking of renting an Airbnb - Albany? Saratoga? Is it worth it? Is there anything to see there by walking around on Shabbat?
Or drive down to NYC on Friday maybe stooping once or twice and spending Shabbat - either in Brooklyn with friends, Manhattan alone, or NJ with family.

Sunday - NY - Manhattan - where else? What may I have missed on previous trips?
Monday - shopping - Tues. is open - maybe NY again? I would be flying out of JFK late Tuesday night. I'm looking to take it easy. Is there anything fun to do in the Lakewood [/b]area maybe we will go there.

Please help me (also if you have any info about kosher food Upstate that would be great).

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 7:36 am
I'm a city (NY that is) so not an expert but you have several options 'upstate' for Shabbos.

tannersville has shuls
So does the Catskills

If you'll be upstate at the end of the month I highly recommend the NY State Fair in Syracuse. It's as American as apple pie and really fun

sky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:49 am
there is a tannersvile thread recently with pretty sites in the area and on the way.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:39 am
Just FYI, lakewood is quite far from jfk. Not sure why you'd travel down to lakewood and then back to jfk....

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 11:28 am
studying_torah wrote:
Just FYI, lakewood is quite far from jfk. Not sure why you'd travel down to lakewood and then back to jfk....
I might make the trip to visit family. I would probably do it Monday and combine the day with shopping in nj.

Runner18

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 11:40 am
I went with my husband to Hunter Mountain- they have a Ziplining Course there down the whole mountain and it was really exhilirating. We stayed at Hotel Vienna (saw a few other frum people there) and it was really nice, quiet, peaceful. room had a fridge (I can't remember if it had a microwave too). The hotel staff was really sweet and our balcony overlooked a nice view of nature.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 11:49 am
There are hotels in Albany within the eruv that are walkable to shul (but not very close). There's a Price Chopper where you can get kosher food for shabbos, but you need to order a few days ahead.

It sounds like you're planning on doing a lot of driving. You'll end up spending half your vacation in a car. You can get beautiful views and hikes along the Hudson River without going so far upstate. Check out some of the historic mansions while you're at it.

http://www.travelhudsonvalley......tory/

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:41 am
Rutabaga wrote:
There are hotels in Albany within the eruv that are walkable to shul (but not very close). There's a Price Chopper where you can get kosher food for shabbos, but you need to order a few days ahead.

It sounds like you're planning on doing a lot of driving. You'll end up spending half your vacation in a car. You can get beautiful views and hikes along the Hudson River without going so far upstate. Check out some of the historic mansions while you're at it.

http://www.travelhudsonvalley......tory/

The unfortunate truth is the DH is happy to spend half his vacation in the car driving through beautiful scenery - he was trying to convince me to fit in a trip to Toronto for Shabbat to visit family (we've done it in the past during a week's stay - that's why I would never do it again, and he would love to do it again).
I'm thinking Hunter Mountain and Hudson River area is probably a better choice too.
I guess we'll keep the northern option for another trip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics