Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Book recommendations for ten year old dd

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 2:52 pm
What clean secular books, and Jewish books would you recommend? Thank you so much.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 2:55 pm
Harry Potter series

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 2:58 pm
My dd likes the whatever after series. I think the author's last name is mlynowski. all of us love wonder by rj palacio.

if she hasn't already read them, old classics like caddie woodlawn and Rebecca of sunnybrook farm are sweet.

she enjoys re-reading the besty tacy stories although they are really for readers a bit younger. She went through all the rainbow magic series a while back, I got that recommendation here on imamother.

I suggest u do a search. I have gotten great ideas from threads like these.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:28 pm
gold21 wrote:
Harry Potter series

A lot of parents aren't comfortable with them after a certain point.
As for secular books, check out the secular book list on chinuch.org for more ideas.

Jewish books (and while I want to support our bookstores, I hope you can get them cheap or from a library):
Libby Lazewnik - the Shira books, story anthologies, Forever and a Day, some others I can't remember. You'll know which ones are for middle and h.s. and adult
Mrs. Elias's books
The Invisible Twins - a series of 3
She may be too old for these but fun reading - the Miriam Walfish Girls Around the World (is that what they're called?) series. Miriam Walfish has stand alone books but your daughter might enjoy them more in another year or two.
Baker's Dozen series, Operation Firestorm and The Little Black Box series
B.Y. Times and the Kids Sisters series
Other story anthologies by Rachel Stein, M. Schonzeit, Reva Rubinstein
Devora Doresh (and Gemarakup) series
3 or 4 books by M. Zirkind about triplets, forgot the series name

Has she read all of these already?

cbg

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:35 pm
A Single Shard
My Side Of The Mountain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Anne of Green Gables

All the classics.

You can ask the librarian for some suggestions

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:37 pm
All the Andrew Clements books (Frindle, The Janitor's Boy, No Talking, A Week in the Woods, etc.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:40 pm
Little Women, A Little Princess, Black Beauty, The Secret Garden, the Little House books... this is just off the top of my head, some of them may be a little young for a ten-year-old. YA historical fiction is good - the Dear America books come to mind. But take my suggestions with a grain of salt because I didn't grow up frum.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:50 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
Little Women, A Little Princess, Black Beauty, The Secret Garden, the Little House books... this is just off the top of my head, some of them may be a little young for a ten-year-old. YA historical fiction is good - the Dear America books come to mind. But take my suggestions with a grain of salt because I didn't grow up frum.

Why should that make a difference?
One thing though: YA may have changed since your days.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 5:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Why should that make a difference?
One thing though: YA may have changed since your days.

OP asks for "clean" secular fiction. I was allowed to read pretty much anything and everything growing up and may not be the best to ask what's clean by frum standards.

And, true, YA has totally changed since my days, so I guess I meant YA historical fiction that was published in the 90s Smile

perquacky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 5:47 pm
The Penderwicks series is a favorite in our house. There are four books with a fifth to come soon. Modern with an old-fashioned feel.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 6:25 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
OP asks for "clean" secular fiction. I was allowed to read pretty much anything and everything growing up and may not be the best to ask what's clean by frum standards.

Maybe, but your suggestions were so squeaky clean I'm still squinting from the gleam Wink

12rivkyk34

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:32 pm
Agreed with Andrew Clements. My kids love that.
Also my weird school series, geronimo Stilton series, box car kids and dear America (read backs as some have romantic innuendo)
Jewish bools there's a series Jewish girls around the world that is very cute and well written. My kids also like cherry bim band and regards from camp. I like hello Hedy levy and adventures of Jeremy levy when I was a kid and I see they still sell it.
Have fun!

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:47 pm
12rivkyk34 wrote:
Agreed with Andrew Clements. My kids love that.
Also my weird school series, geronimo Stilton series, box car kids and dear America (read backs as some have romantic innuendo)
Jewish bools there's a series Jewish girls around the world that is very cute and well written. My kids also like cherry bim band and regards from camp. I like hello Hedy levy and adventures of Jeremy levy when I was a kid and I see they still sell it.
Have fun!

Oh I used to love Regards From Camp! Havent read it in forever. Loved that series.

Busy as a bee

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 10:49 am
Is there a specific Genre she likes?
Fantasy?
Historical?
Humor?

just some ideas
http://www.warriorcats.com/books
http://www.scholastic.com/teac.....eanup
http://www.goodreads.com/autho.....otson
I have lots more if u wanna PM me

funmother

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:10 am
My favorite Bina Gold mysteries

wif

Post Sat, Jul 02 2016, 2:31 pm
Toot!

That was the sound of me tooting my own horn, but Walled Secrets by Dina Neuman is perfect for that age. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children