Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation in Vancouver area

saramalka

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:07 am
I am looking for info on vacationing in British Columbia, with base in vancouver. I would like a minyan and access to kosher food. I have heard about buchart gardens, whistler,etc. Any advice about best ways to navigate this. Have people enjoyed this type of vacation?

ima bima

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:41 am
There's a yeshiva in Vancouver called PTI. Try to reach out to then and see if they can help you.
Have fun!

Amarante

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:46 am
My brother lived in Vancouver but that was many years ago so I can't be helpful in specifics.

However it is a wonderful place to visit especially in summer when the weather is good. There is much for every taste. I enjoyed the Gardens, I rented bikes and ride along the beautiful sea wall, visited Granville island a lot because my brother lived very close. I remember an art museum as well. My mother and I visited whistler on a train which was okay because it gav us a chance to talk but whistler was not all that exciting unless you are going for winter sports. My brother also took us to a hanging bridge which was fun for everyone else but I was terrified as I am a little scared of heights. He also took us to a bird sanctuary which was nice but a longish drive.

He als took us to a beautiful spot where we picnicked. Can't remember the name although it was memorable as there were a lot of ducks so the kids had fun feeding them until one aggressive one stole a sandwich which my niece as dangling too low. The picture of her howling gave us a lot of laughs in future years. Not that we are sadists but it was half a sandwich and there were plenty more for her to have on the table :-)

We also just had fun walking around the city and going into shops.

My parents rented an apartment from people my brother knew or found out about so we were able to eat at home a lot when I visited. My parents would stay for a longish time to be close to my brother especially in the summer since they both hated hot weather and Vancouver summer was perfect for them

Granville had such amazing produce as it is a large food market as well as having art and artisan shops.

It is a very nice destination.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:00 am
I can tell you about beautiful places south of the border. Deception Pass comes to mind first.
Are you looking for tourist stuff like Victoria, or hiking?

doctorima

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:06 am
I think Vancouver may be the only city in the area with minyan, so if that's a requirement for you (as you said), you may be limited to whatever can be done as a day trip. You could check GoDaven to see about a temporary minyan in Whistler.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:40 pm
As people said, Vancouver has a yeshiva/minyan. You can drive to Seattle for Shabbos which is a bit less than 3 hours. You can see Mt. Ranier and lots of other beautiful places.

PassionFruit

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:41 pm
There's a restaurant called sabra there

Marion

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
As people said, Vancouver has a yeshiva/minyan. You can drive to Seattle for Shabbos which is a bit less than 3 hours. You can see Mt. Ranier and lots of other beautiful places.

Why would you want to do that? What's wrong with Vancouver on Shabbat? We did a boat ride + overnight (then boat back) to Vancouver, but my uncle was selling boats at the time and we took one of the floor (sea?) models...tracked the whales...it was loads of fun. This was way back when you had to order your challah on Monday at the kosher bakery and be there at the exact time slot they gave you to pick it up or it might be given to someone else!

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:52 am
If you haven't gone yet, check out these links for some info:
http://thekollel.com/resources-links
https://www.maplegrill.com

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 3:53 am
duplicate post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics