Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Pine/Oak Staircase vs Full Oak

shopdrop

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 9:58 am
Anyone with pine/oak staircase? Do you have the risers painted white? It seems pretty on pictures, maybe a more modern look but how unpractical is it? Would you rather upgrade to full oak? Is full oak too traditional and too much wood? I need help deciding, there is a difference in price too... Thanks for any info!

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 11:25 am
Personally I think full oak is a classic look that will never be out of style. It might not be trendy, but it's a classic. I don't like the look of white risers.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 1:45 pm
full oak without the white. Are you using someone in NY? Can you list his name and number because I am also looking for someone.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:06 pm
probably done because oak is expensive & people save by putting pine on the risers - you don't have to paint the pine you can have two-toned wood ...

shopdrop

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:20 pm
Thank you all for your opinions. Not in NY, it's in New Jersey. It is probably done bec. it's cheaper. Online the pictures seem nice and airy the white with dark look see the links, but I have never seen it in real life. I have only seen full oak, so was wondering if anyone personally has oak/pine, and likes it. But I would love to hear all opinions!

http://static1.squarespace.com.....1000w

http://www.homebunch.com/wp-co.....3.jpg

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:29 pm
another reason people might paint the risers white is because it was either already painted or they used plywood and neither pine nor oak

mommyla

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 2:38 pm
I love the two-tone, but it's definitely less classic and more trendy. It's really a matter of taste!

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 8:38 pm
Doesn't the white need to be repainted constantly? I just imagine those white risers turning black from scuff marks. I have never seen this look in a lived in home-but I think that would be good to find out.

joyce01

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 8:51 pm
I recently did my stairs and did alot of research. I have yet to find someone tell me that the white risers are practical. I opted to do the full oak traditional look in a pretty modern setting. No regrets

sky

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 8:59 pm
I would think the white risers would get dirty and scuffed quickly and be a pain to keep clean.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 26 2016, 11:27 pm
joyce01 wrote:
I recently did my stairs and did alot of research. I have yet to find someone tell me that the white risers are practical. I opted to do the full oak traditional look in a pretty modern setting. No regrets

Are you in NY? who did you use?

shopdrop

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 7:38 am
joyce01 wrote:

Did you actually see the two toned look in real life? I would definitely think they are unpractical! The pictures online are just so pretty.

Thanks for everyone's opinions!

joyce01

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:02 am
Yes I did see it in real life. And although I thought it looked really nice (and trendy), I decided that practicality and classy is a better bet. I'm really glad with what I did.

sprayonlove

Post Mon, Jun 27 2016, 9:08 am
My parents have pine/oak with white risers and they are constantly having to repaint because it gets so scuffed. But it looks great when it's freshly painted and perfectly white. You could also do pine/oak with white risers with a carpet tread to keep scuffs at bay.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 11:01 am
joyce01 wrote:
Yes I did see it in real life. And although I thought it looked really nice (and trendy), I decided that practicality and classy is a better bet. I'm really glad with what I did.

Were you the one in NJ- who did you use?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics