Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Valuable movie about marriage

freedomseek

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 7:09 pm
What's the most valuable movie you watched about marriage?

asmileaday

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 7:11 pm
The vow.
What are you looking for? Please explain a bit more.

freedomseek

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 8:11 pm
Something with a strong real message.
I don't mind romance but not only romantic nonsense only if it serves the purpose of enhancing a marriage.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 8:29 pm
The notebook has a heartwarming message about commitment and loyalty.

Totally romantic though. Not sure what you mean by nonsense.

PassionFruit

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 8:57 pm
honestly, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I have seen a lot of movies in my life, and not a single one comes to mind that portrays a healthy committed, imperfect marriage. Hollywood is looking to sell movies, not teach ethics. What sells? Scandals, affairs, violence, abuse, immorality, and such.

To improve your marriage you see a therapist, read books, make regular dates and commitments to your spouse, give to your spouse in their love language, etc.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 9:00 pm
I haven't watched movies in years so don't take this as a recommendation but I thought mr. hollands opus had a poignant message

asmileaday

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 10:27 pm
funnyface wrote:
honestly, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I have seen a lot of movies in my life, and not a single one comes to mind that portrays a healthy committed, imperfect marriage. Hollywood is looking to sell movies, not teach ethics. What sells? Scandals, affairs, violence, abuse, immorality, and such.

To improve your marriage you see a therapist, read books, make regular dates and commitments to your spouse, give to your spouse in their love language, etc.

Yes this is what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure how to write it.

I don't think you need a therapist though. To me it seems like you just want to take the guilt out of watching by feeling that it left you a better person.
But Hollywood movies? Uh uh ain't gonna give you that.

sunshine5

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 11:12 pm
The Story of us, Bruce Willis, very old, if I remember correctly its a really powerful message about loyally.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 12:42 am
A beautiful mind (true story)

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 1:06 am
Ditto to A Beautiful Mind. So glad I watched it before meeting DH (diagnosed with a mental illness)

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 9:18 am
Fireproof if you ignore all the Christian parts and mentally replace crying to yushka to crying to hashem. (It wasnt to much imo only a few scenes) its not a Hollywood movie but a Christian one and very clean with modestly dressed actors. They aren't amazing actors but do a pretty decent job.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 9:26 am
So interesting OP. I davka watch movies to get away from real life, not to gain valuable lessons on life.
I dont think movies is really the correct place to take something away from about the value of marriage.Maybe Im wrong, but to me movies, no matter what, are never going to show anything that is real real life like and therefore will not really be able to show the true value of a good marriage. Its all fake.

Ill even go so far as to say that fireproof, the christian movie the previous poster was talking about still makes things seem like everything always works out in the end. you just need gd. when in fact that is not always the truth either.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 04 2016, 9:47 am
Kramer vs Kramer

My mom made us all watch it. We are all the type to get a bit carried away with our "feelings" so she wanted us to see that sometimes a person can mess things when they get carried away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics