Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Facial Fuzz

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 8:03 am
How do I get rid of the peach fuzz on my face? If I shave it off will there be any ramifications? Will it grow back darker etc? I hate the fuzzy look so what's a women to do?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:40 am
Don't shave!!! It grows back fast and dark and thick.
Things that work are electrolysis, as a long term solution; and waxing, which you'll have to do it every few weeks.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
Things that work are electrolysis, as a long term solution; and waxing, which you'll have to do it every few weeks.

It's short skin coloured hair. Doubt I would do electrolysis for that as it's not that bad, but would electrolysis work or does it only work for dark hairs?
Would shaving really make it darker?

gr8 mom

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 10:13 am
I shave with https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....sc=1# ... I never liked the fuzz I had by the sideburns and down along the jaw line it grew longer so I started shaving it and I do my upper lip... From what ive read its just a myth that it grows back thicker... Cant promise but maybe if ur hair is very dark it may seem like its growing thick by me its pretty light colored..

2cents

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:51 am
amother wrote:

This is a myth. Shaving can't affect your genetics--nothing you do on the surface can change the color or quality of hair that has yet to grow. It also can't affect the rate of growth.

Think logically-how could cutting off hairs change your body's genetic makeup of how fast, how thick, and how dark your hairs grow?

When you shave, your hairs might appear slightly thicker, because you've cut off the tapered edge, and the new hair tip is blunt. The growth will also be more noticeable for the same reason.

Waxing and laser both attack the hair root, causing actual change.

I've been shaving parts of my face for year with no adverse affects. I'm middle eastern so I have lots of facial hair. Laser didn't work (did it as a teen, all came back with first pregnancy). Threading and waxing caused horrible breakouts and scarring.

The dermatologist I spoke to told me that I can shave any hair that isn't coarse, and it will grow back appearing basically the same (slightly more thick-looking due to blunt tips). Any hair that is already coarse or hormonal will look like stubble as it grows back. For example, I don't shave around my eyebrows or upper lip, because that gives me a stubble look. The rest of my face looks fine, even in a few weeks after I shave (I only do it every couple of months, whenever I feel like the peach fuzz is noticeable).

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 11:52 am
gr8 mom wrote:
I shave with https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....sc=1# ... I never liked the fuzz I had by the sideburns and down along the jaw line it grew longer so I started shaving it and I do my upper lip... From what ive read its just a myth that it grows back thicker... Cant promise but maybe if ur hair is very dark it may seem like its growing thick by me its pretty light colored..

Thanks. How long have you been doing it? Have you noticed that it grew back differently?

Do you think something like this would work? https://www.amazon.com/Norelco.....haver

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 3:07 pm
2cents wrote:
This is a myth. Shaving can't affect your genetics--nothing you do on the surface can change the color or quality of hair that has yet to grow. It also can't affect the rate of growth.

Think logically-how could cutting off hairs change your body's genetic makeup of how fast, how thick, and how dark your hairs grow?

When you shave, your hairs might appear slightly thicker, because you've cut off the tapered edge, and the new hair tip is blunt. The growth will also be more noticeable for the same reason.

Waxing and laser both attack the hair root, causing actual change.

I've been shaving parts of my face for year with no adverse affects. I'm middle eastern so I have lots of facial hair. Laser didn't work (did it as a teen, all came back with first pregnancy). Threading and waxing caused horrible breakouts and scarring.

The dermatologist I spoke to told me that I can shave any hair that isn't coarse, and it will grow back appearing basically the same (slightly more thick-looking due to blunt tips). Any hair that is already coarse or hormonal will look like stubble as it grows back. For example, I don't shave around my eyebrows or upper lip, because that gives me a stubble look. The rest of my face looks fine, even in a few weeks after I shave (I only do it every couple of months, whenever I feel like the peach fuzz is noticeable).

Waxing is a much safer option.
It's great that shaving worked for you. You're the minority. I also know the facts (it doesn't *actually* grow back thicker) but please look at cleanshaven men's jawline as a reference for how shaved hair appears when it grows back.
I think it's a really bad idea for someone to try something that could result in dark looking stubble on her face.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
It's great that shaving worked for you. You're the minority. I also know the facts (it doesn't *actually* grow back thicker) but please look at cleanshaven men's jawline as a reference for how shaved hair appears when it grows back.
I think it's a really bad idea for someone to try something that could result in dark looking stubble on her face.

Men's hair is dark, that's a big difference.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
Men's hair is dark, that's a big difference.

Not all men have dark hair but all cleanshaven men have thick stubble, get it?
Anyway if you're willing to try it, let us know what happens! I hope it does work for you as it would be much more convenient and less painful than waxing. Best of luck!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 7:30 pm
I shave my entire face once a week and my hormonal thick hair on my chin every morning. I also tweeze whenever I get a chance. The peach fuzz doesn't change at all over time, and the hormonal hair does look like stubble but it is a small area and for me, a little stubble is better than a beard.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 10 2016, 9:23 pm
I am an electrologist and I would highly recommend electrolysis. It is the only permanent hair removal solution. Let me know if you have any questions .

2cents

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:14 am
amother wrote:

Men have thick, hormonal-based facial hair. If the hair on your face is thick, it will also have stubble. That's why I wouldn't shave my upper lip area or eyebrows--the hairs there are naturally thicker.

There's no real harm in trying, and much to be gained. Op can try shaving, and if it grows back as stubble, she'll get it waxed or threaded post-haste. If she decides to go the laser/electrolysis route, she anyways has to shave in preparation for each session. So no harm done.

Eta: dermaplaning is a dermalogical exfoliation treatment where a scalpel is used regularly to remove a layer of dead skin (and by extension, hair!). If stubble was a problem, this treatment wouldn't be so popular. (If you use youtube, there are several makeup artists/beauty guru types who discuss this)

Last edited by 2cents on Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

2cents

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 12:15 am
amother wrote:
Thanks. How long have you been doing it? Have you noticed that it grew back differently?

Do you think something like this would work? https://www.amazon.com/Norelco.....haver

Just read the reviews on this product. It seems to function more as a trimmer, rather than as a product that gives a clean smooth shave. Some users also reported scratches. I would not recommend this for your face. A sharp straight razor is best.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:11 am
2cents wrote:
Just read the reviews on this product. It seems to function more as a trimmer, rather than as a product that gives a clean smooth shave. Some users also reported scratches. I would not recommend this for your face. A sharp straight razor is best.

Thanks 2cents. The reason I asked is because I use a similar shaver on my legs and occasionally my sideburns and it gives a beautiful smooth shave.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 5:12 am
amother wrote:
I am an electrologist and I would highly recommend electrolysis. It is the only permanent hair removal solution. Let me know if you have any questions .

Thanks. Does it work well on light hairs?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 9:24 am
Yes it works on light hairs and dark hairs just the same. It's not laser where it works only on dark.
Electrolysis works on moisture which every hair has.
Your electrologist can use different things such as mascara to see the pores or she can create a shade... Go for electrolysis.

MrsEsther

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 12:09 am
2cents wrote:
Men have thick, hormonal-based facial hair. If the hair on your face is thick, it will also have stubble. That's why I wouldn't shave my upper lip area or eyebrows--the hairs there are naturally thicker.

There's no real harm in trying, and much to be gained. Op can try shaving, and if it grows back as stubble, she'll get it waxed or threaded post-haste. If she decides to go the laser/electrolysis route, she anyways has to shave in preparation for each session. So no harm done.

Eta: dermaplaning is a dermalogical exfoliation treatment where a scalpel is used regularly to remove a layer of dead skin (and by extension, hair!). If stubble was a problem, this treatment wouldn't be so popular. (If you use youtube, there are several makeup artists/beauty guru types who discuss this)

I am looking to do Dermaplaning professionally done in NYC. Do you know anyone you can recommend
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics