Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
People that weren't organized and now are
Previous  1  2

trixx

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
trix- just wondering did you really throw out a lot of old photos, old school papers... I'm seriously considering doing that...

To begin with I was always very selective about whay school stuff I kept (and I did keep most of it) only if I thought I would use it to teach one day or as a resource. Now I am going through, scanning and trashing. About halfway thru my high school stuff.

Pics yes, absolutely. (for reference I am a 90s child so I have real photos of myself as a kid and then digital as upper elementary when I was super cool and got a camera at bas mitzva)

I was a bit surprised actually but as I went thru the photos of me as a child and kid, even though part of me felt like this is my personal history, there were a lot of photos that meant nothing more to me than that. Like I was only keeping them bc it was a pic of me. And the pics of me in 8th-9th grade trust me I don't even want to see. Threw out a whole stack of real photos but didn't get to digital ones yet

Assume the pics (beyond say one for each year of your life) aren't for your kids. I know I maybe looked thru my mother's albums of sem and single girl once. They're for you, so if you don't like it, don't keep it.

And for your kids - esp with the amount of pics taken daily - they will thank you if you only keep a select few. Who wants to ever go thru thousands of pics. Curate the memories.

I wish I could go through my parents house and empty it all out. There are seforim in boxes bc there's no room on the shelves, and there are shelves filled with photo albums that no one looks at. First of all, the bulk - tons if duplicate photos, plus the fact that they're real photos instead of thin photo books. We all have tje same favorite pics of each kid that were used in bat mitzvah, uosherin videos etc - no need to keep uncute pics! Or 5 takes of the same pose but someone is blinking, looking away... Trash it and keep the good one.

Caveat if you are making a photo book then put in however many you want, they're so thin.

I'm part of some konmari groups on Facebook with thousands of members worldwide that I sometimes look at for chizuk. A recurring theme I see is - I wish my parent had cleaned their stuff before their death as its taking me months just to sift thru old and useless papers / part of my motivation is to not leave my children with the mess my elderly parents left me.

Something to think about.

esther malka

Post Thu, Jul 07 2016, 10:18 pm
The book " organizing from inside out " by Julie Morgenstern changed my life. It taught me how to organize my house, there is a chochma to it for those of us not naturally inclined. Mazel tov on your new home! Good luck!

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 10:07 am
choco1 wrote:
Good luck with the move!

Get someone to help you! Hire someone if you have to who will TEACH you the tricks. That is what I'm doing right now and so far has been life changing! She taught me everything from where to put what, how to wash toys in the best easiest way, even better way to fold clothes... Also helped me get rid of things (when you have someone else there it's easier Smile the bottom line is someone that will teach you the art... (Without making you feel stupid...) I hope it all works out for you.. (Also know that being neat and organized is hard work.. But feels amazing!)
Good Luck!

Who? Where? I need this! The teaching the art part. I got the throwing away down, except when the kids interfere. But I can never stay on top of things. It feels so futile.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics