Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing tzizis without damaging them

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:11 pm
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice on the best way to wash tzizis without ruining the strings. I find that after about six months or so (sometimes less) the strings get all tangled and frayed and then I have to buy new pairs.

I've tried machine washing but letting them hang dry (seems to help but not always practical), tzizis mesh bags, tying the strings into a loose knot before washing, and tucking the strings into the little "pockets" that some of the manufacturers have.

If it effects your answer, I'm dealing with the "t-shirt" tzizis, and since it's being worn against the skin, they're being washed nearly daily.

Thanks

sped

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:15 pm
I tie them up in old socks or knee-hi's.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:25 pm
sped wrote:
I tie them up in old socks or knee-hi's.

The strings only, or the whole shirt part, too?

asd3

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:54 pm
I have 3 boys in tshirt tzitzis I found in bed bath and beyond a mesh bag that has 3 compartments and each section is the perfect size for one pair. I fold the tzitzis in half then roll it up then wrap the strings around the roll. Works perfectly! Then unroll and hang to dry

Liebs

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 3:59 pm
I stick the whole t-shirt with strings in stocking or knee high and put that in sock bag. Or if it's a knee high just tie the knee high closed.
I hang them to dry and if in rush I stick it on hanger in front of fan.
It works beautifully!
I also found you get what you pay for and some brands the strings are just junkier. I have 3 pairs per son and wash them after each wear or 2.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:12 pm
Wrap the strings in foil and then coil like a snail. Put the tzitzis in a mesh bag. White tzitzis get washed with our whites and do great even with bleach. Remove foil and hang dry.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 4:17 pm
I put just the strings into old stockings that I cut (same effect as knee highs) and then knot them around themselves while in the stocking. It's a bit time consuming, but they come out really well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry