Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
"normal" 6 month old bedtime?
Previous  1  2

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 4:04 pm
DS #1 was a sleep disaster due to many different factors. Poor eater, one bedroom apartment etc. It took a lot of time, and moving to a bigger place plus some CIO after the age of 1 and he became a great sleeper. Too good, night training was horrible.

My second son slept better from the get go and was sleeping decent stretches in our room. I felt he was capable of sleeping longer so I tried it out in his brothers room with an actual crib and he took to it in a few days.

le cure

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:27 pm
whats the bedtime routine? could it be that the bedtime routine u are doing wakes him up? I find that if u keep the bedtime routine very short, and feeding him being the last thing u do, then put him to sleep. this is what I do:
bedtime routine:
start at about 7:15
change diaper
change to pjs
give bottle
sing shema
tuck in w a passy and bye bye! go to sleep!

at first, 6 months abt, he would cry and cryyyyyy, but then I learned to leave him. if he cried for 15 min I would get him, but he usually cried only for abt 10 and then he would fall asleep. after a handful of tries he got it and now he is 7m3w and sleeps at 7:30

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 9:43 pm
losingweight wrote:
Please let the baby decide her bedtime. You enjoy the time that she's awake without any other kids around. I find my baby the cutest in the evening. Eventually she'll cut back on her naps and the bedtime will get earlier and scheduled. My babies go to sleep between ten and eleven. If you try to be rigid about bedtime at this age, you will both become nervous.

I totally agree.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:40 pm
married wrote:
My baby is same age, he goes to sleep between 9 and 9:30
If I am lucky he sleeps till 4 and wakes up for bottle then wakes up at 8
Lately he has been getting up every 3 hours,

When you put him to sleep 7:30 what time does he wake up??

I feed him around 11. Then he wakes up a couple of times during the night and I give him his pacifier and he goes back to sleep. I take him out of bed anytime between 6:30-7:30 whenever he wakes up, but it's usually sometime around there. Going to sleep later now he's still waking up the same time.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:45 pm
losingweight wrote:
Please let the baby decide her bedtime. You enjoy the time that she's awake without any other kids around. I find my baby the cutest in the evening. Eventually she'll cut back on her naps and the bedtime will get earlier and scheduled. My babies go to sleep between ten and eleven. If you try to be rigid about bedtime at this age, you will both become nervous.

As a first time mom who's home with her baby all day I'm enjoying the time with him plenty :-p The time in the evening I had after he went to sleep was helpful in getting things done around the house. Of course it's not a reason to force a baby to sleep when they aren't ready though just for the convenience of being able to do my stuff. I just keep reading that it's recommended to put babies to bed early and they'll fall asleep easier. So I didn't know if it's something wrong I'm doing or if I should keep trying to put him to bed early (he was doing fine with it until this past week), or whatever. It sounds like the majority of people here are agreeing with what you said. Thanks.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:50 pm
le cure wrote:
whats the bedtime routine? could it be that the bedtime routine u are doing wakes him up? I find that if u keep the bedtime routine very short, and feeding him being the last thing u do, then put him to sleep. this is what I do:
bedtime routine:
start at about 7:15
change diaper
change to pjs
give bottle
sing shema
tuck in w a passy and bye bye! go to sleep!

at first, 6 months abt, he would cry and cryyyyyy, but then I learned to leave him. if he cried for 15 min I would get him, but he usually cried only for abt 10 and then he would fall asleep. after a handful of tries he got it and now he is 7m3w and sleeps at 7:30

I was doing a very very very loose interpretation of the baby whisperer method which included not feeding right before sleep. Our bedtime routine was feeding around 6:45 or 7, change diaper, put into pjs, read a book or two on the rocker, swaddle (arms out), put in bed with a pacifier and said shema and sang a couple of songs.

Now he's so awake! He like squeals and wiggles and fusses (which will turn into crying) if I try to put him into his bed. Tonight my husband took him outside for a bit after I fed him to calm him down/relax him. I'm thinking maybe of taking him outside every night and sitting with him and playing classical music to relax him. Is this like too much of a crutch if I do that though? Should I be "teaching" him to fall asleep on his own like some books/methods say to do?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:52 pm
I just want to say thanks everyone for all of the responses! It's comforting to know that not every baby (and it seems like quite a few) go to sleep before 8:00.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:55 pm
We're an "early to bed and early to rise household" and my babies just fall into the rhythm. My 7 month old goes to bed around 6:30 and wakes up at 6:30. In my experience, bedtime depends on when naps end. At this age, there should be about 3-4 hours between the end of afternoon nap and bedtime.

When my first couple were little though, they napped in the afternoon until about 4 and bedtime was around 7:30 or 8. It's not about the exact time so much as an appropriate amount of awake time.

le cure

Post Sun, Jul 03 2016, 1:05 am
amother wrote:
I was doing a very very very loose interpretation of the baby whisperer method which included not feeding right before sleep. Our bedtime routine was feeding around 6:45 or 7, change diaper, put into pjs, read a book or two on the rocker, swaddle (arms out), put in bed with a pacifier and said shema and sang a couple of songs.

Now he's so awake! He like squeals and wiggles and fusses (which will turn into crying) if I try to put him into his bed. Tonight my husband took him outside for a bit after I fed him to calm him down/relax him. I'm thinking maybe of taking him outside every night and sitting with him and playing classical music to relax him. Is this like too much of a crutch if I do that though? Should I be "teaching" him to fall asleep on his own like some books/methods say to do?

(he sounds ADORABLE!)
I used to think my baby was not the kind of baby that you could just "let cry" to go to sleep because he would thrash around his crib and push his head against it and it made me really nervous that he would get hurt, so I avoided doing this. but once I was a guest somewhere and I had him in a pack and play (soft walls) and decided to sit outside the door and just see how long he cried. if he NEVER fell asleep then I was proven right and its not for him. but I watched the clock, (it felt like forever) but just ten minutes! and he was out. after that I decided to keep it extremely consistent, and now he is completely comfortable with it. it took time, maybe a week or two, but he is a grt sleeper now. I find that when im singing him shema, once I get to hamalach hagoel he starts to get so hyper and smiley, so I do a very abridged version! and quickly, to get out of there and not get him excited. its literally diaper, change clothes, bottle, shema. its a very quick bed time routine otherwise he will get hyper and want to play, songs can make some babies calm but, in my case, and sounds like in ur case, a bit excited! I would stick to a very short shema w not alot of songs. do the same time every day, and let him cry himself to sleep. maybe try it for a few days to see how it goes? anyway I wish u so much hatzlocha!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 11:47 pm
le cure wrote:
(he sounds ADORABLE!)
I used to think my baby was not the kind of baby that you could just "let cry" to go to sleep because he would thrash around his crib and push his head against it and it made me really nervous that he would get hurt, so I avoided doing this. but once I was a guest somewhere and I had him in a pack and play (soft walls) and decided to sit outside the door and just see how long he cried. if he NEVER fell asleep then I was proven right and its not for him. but I watched the clock, (it felt like forever) but just ten minutes! and he was out. after that I decided to keep it extremely consistent, and now he is completely comfortable with it. it took time, maybe a week or two, but he is a grt sleeper now. I find that when im singing him shema, once I get to hamalach hagoel he starts to get so hyper and smiley, so I do a very abridged version! and quickly, to get out of there and not get him excited. its literally diaper, change clothes, bottle, shema. its a very quick bed time routine otherwise he will get hyper and want to play, songs can make some babies calm but, in my case, and sounds like in ur case, a bit excited! I would stick to a very short shema w not alot of songs. do the same time every day, and let him cry himself to sleep. maybe try it for a few days to see how it goes? anyway I wish u so much hatzlocha!

Thanks. I didn't read this until I got on here. I just came back to post an update: we decided to just let him cry it out. But since we swaddle I do go in to replace his paci to help him fall asleep if it falls out and he's crying (but that's it- no staying in the room and no picking him up).
I also started doing bedtime routine at 6, and putting him in his crib around 6:30.
Just like with your baby mine only cried for 10 minutes that first night and maybe 5 the next- and for the past couple of nights he's gone to sleep so easily! And when he's woken in the night sometimes I just give him a paci, but sometimes it's cuz he needs a diaper change and I'll change it and he smiles up at me and I'm thinking oh no he's never going to go back to sleep now... but he does! Wow. what a difference. I guess I just didn't realize that he would be OK. I hope things continue this well!

And you're right about the short short bedtime routine. That's what I do too.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 11 2016, 11:54 pm
mille wrote:
Dr. Weissbluth in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child talks a LOT about "sleep debt" and how babies need a lot of sleep, and we chronically keep them awake too long and this causes the most dysfunction.

My baby's doctor recommended this book as well, I've been reading it and it's been really helpful

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:09 am
Check with your pediatrician, but I don't think you're supposed to swaddle a 6 month old. It can be dangerous for belly sleeping.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 12:16 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Check with your pediatrician, but I don't think you're supposed to swaddle a 6 month old. It can be dangerous for belly sleeping.

We had an appointment today actually and I asked to make sure. My baby doesn't sleep on his stomach- he hates being on his stomach. He's never rolled over in his sleep. My pediatrician said it's fine as long as he needs it. If he starts rolling over in bed I'll stop immediately.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics