Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Toms River... HELP!

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 4:30 pm
This is all happening so fast! At 1st, DH and I just decided to go check out the Lakewood housing scene (Boro Parkers here) just for fun. One thing led to another, and 3 days later we have a house that looks perfect for us and we made an offer! Now we're waiting for an answer and if the seller agrees we might move out for the upcoming school year! It's all so overwhelming!
Does anyone know what type of families live in Toms River, bordering Lakewood (next to the new Belz developments)? Any shuls in the area? We're chassidish, so community life is very important for DH. And, whoever understands the nuances of a chassidish family, it doesnt work to just daven in Belz when we're not Belz chassidim. And what mosdos would be an option? I'm not looking for too chassidish (Skver, Rachmistrivka) but more Chassidish than Toras Emes..
All helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(Posting anon because people know my current sitch)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 4:52 pm
Since shuls and community are so important to you, you should investigate more intensively IRL before you proceed with the sale. This seems to have been a pretty impulsive decision. Wishing you all the best.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
Since shuls and community are so important to you, you should investigate more intensively IRL before you proceed with the sale. This seems to have been a pretty impulsive decision. Wishing you all the best.

ITA. Also, getting into schools here can be very difficult, and you're not giving yourselves a lot of time. You should do more research before you jump in and buy a house.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 5:33 pm
I know the area. Many non Belz people daven in Belz. The Dayan is extremely welcoming. Even I was skeptical. And I can vouch that your dh will feel very welcome. There was a yeshivish family that lost their mother recently and they had just moved into toms river. The Dayan went personally a Shabbis after he got up from shiva to his house to comfort him. And he took along a few men from Belz including non belzer. It was so heartwarming. He definitely is making everyone very comfortable. Even the yishivish people are commenting how warm it is there. And many are coming. And many live in harmony.

There is also a Belz minyan in toms river and a yeshivish minyan in hunters ct.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 5:55 pm
Please make sure you drive or it will be very difficult otherwise. Groceries deliver but nothing is walking distance as of now. There is a shuttle that comes to Belz but it's not often. It takes time to get used to this place coming from Brooklyn Hatzalacha on your move.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 5:59 pm
There is Bais Avrohom, Masoras Avos, Satmer.

But keep in mind, its very hard to get into schools here in Lakewood

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:10 pm
Try to get into skver or. Rachmistrivke bec Darchei avoiseini is not established well. The other two are very good and forget about Beis Avrohom. They don't take anyone. They are hard to get in even. For long time lakewooders

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
This is all happening so fast! At 1st, DH and I just decided to go check out the Lakewood housing scene (Boro Parkers here) just for fun. One thing led to another, and 3 days later we have a house that looks perfect for us and we made an offer! Now we're waiting for an answer and if the seller agrees we might move out for the upcoming school year! It's all so overwhelming!
Does anyone know what type of families live in Toms River, bordering Lakewood (next to the new Belz developments)? Any shuls in the area? We're chassidish, so community life is very important for DH. And, whoever understands the nuances of a chassidish family, it doesnt work to just daven in Belz when we're not Belz chassidim. And what mosdos would be an option? I'm not looking for too chassidish (Skver, Rachmistrivka) but more Chassidish than Toras Emes..
All helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(Posting anon because people know my current sitch)

First of all much hatslacha and bracha and hopefully it will all work out.
Now.....I don't know if your adding drama here but you made an offer on a house 100 miles from where you live and your asking questions like, what type of people live there? Are there any shuls in the neighborhood? What mosdos are there?....these are questions your asking AFTER you made an offer??? What research did you actually do?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:23 pm
It does sound like its a little impulsive but I can tell you that within the last 2.5 years about 200 chasidishe people move to the surrounding area. I include toms river and harmony and the areas around harmony. Don't think it's a midbar. But I find the not driving and the schools situation tough. Even though my kids are in Mosdos. If your child is in skvere or rachmistrivke then it's good all other chasidishe ones are new and not the greatest.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:42 pm
I can appreciate OP. She probably can't be masig that you can get such incredible bang for the buck and being close to Belz figures that will be enough. But OP, please step back and breathe. Or let us know more about the house hunting thinking you've been doing prior to this.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 6:46 pm
Not meaning to scare u but needed to tell you that lakewood board of education will not do bussing for toma river. Which means that as of now you would not get any bussing for kids in school. In addition if your child needs any services or a special ed school he will nit be able to as lakewood bd of ed will not do it as u need to show many proofs of residency showing u reside in lakewood. I know this firathand as I llive near the toms river border however I am still consisered lakewood

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 7:32 pm
I live in toms river. I get bussing for my kids. If you have girls good luck with the schools. I found the boys were easier.

Yes you need to drive here otherwise you're the prisoner of your home.
But the area is totally beautiful!!!
And the quality of life is not to COMPARE!!
Lots of mazel!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 8:54 pm
Please make sure you have schools before you buy. I have heard (don't know if there's truth to it) that the more chassidisch schools are very reluctant to accept children who live in toms river (related to what type of crowd is moving there).

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
I live in toms river. I get bussing for my kids. If you have girls good luck with the schools. I found the boys were easier.

Yes you need to drive here otherwise you're the prisoner of your home.
But the area is totally beautiful!!!
And the quality of life is not to COMPARE!!
Lots of mazel!

Can you tell me how to get bussing? We are probably moving to Tom's River and I want to know what I have to do to get the bussing.
Thanks

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 12 2016, 11:30 pm
Good luck on busing. All of us dont know what will be next year because of it. The school gives you a form to fill out usually but bec of what happened last year we don't know what the schools are doing. I heard someone from toms river. She sent her ds with car service bec Boe wasn't giving her much.
Also the command of English is far higher then chasidish in Bp. So you might need tutoring to bring your kids up to par. Depending on your child if it will be enough.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 7:53 am
The schools help you with the bussing. Last year it wasn't arranged yet but in Daycamp they all have bussing and I'm told that the following year won't be a problem....

sky

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 8:03 am
amother wrote:
The schools help you with the bussing. Last year it wasn't arranged yet but in Daycamp they all have bussing and I'm told that the following year won't be a problem....

daycamp bussing for boy's schools and camps are paid for by you. BOE doesn't pay for any of that, so that is why it is taken care of.

the school takes care of busing and the paperwork. I've had kids with mandatory busing (and we live in Lakewood) not receive it until well into the school year - the past 2 years - so nothing is guaranteed. If you don't drive it can be tough.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 8:13 am
sky wrote:
daycamp bussing for boy's schools and camps are paid for by you. BOE doesn't pay for any of that, so that is why it is taken care of.

the school takes care of busing and the paperwork. I've had kids with mandatory busing (and we live in Lakewood) not receive it until well into the school year - the past 2 years - so nothing is guaranteed. If you don't drive it can be tough.

If you don't drive almost everything is tough!

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 8:30 am
Op perhaps breathe and look more into the area.
Maybe even wait a year and rent the house out in the mean time.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 9:23 am
If you want to rent first you can email me at vste101@gmail.com with contact info
I have a house near me available to rent
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating