Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Continue with OT for third year?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 2:55 pm
My child has an excellent OT for the past 2 years (including the summers). He has made tremendous progress with him bh.

I know that many agencies recommend that the child should not have the same SEIT/SETTS for more than 2 years in a row because it's good to get a fresh perspective and bring new methods in. They say that at a certain point the provider has used all his "tools " and it's time to continue on.

Do you think this holds true for occupational therapy as well?
In the meantime I requested to continue with him- but I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 3:03 pm
I think the agencies have a ton of politics and don't care about the kids. If you have a good therapist, keep her/him.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 3:46 pm
Never heard of such a thing. Now, when a child ages out of EI or CPSE they may need to change therapists if the current one only works with that age group, but I've never heard of needing to switch just because it's been a certain amount of time.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
Never heard of such a thing. Now, when a child ages out of EI or CPSE they may need to change therapists if the current one only works with that age group, but I've never heard of needing to switch just because it's been a certain amount of time.

Noone said you need to...it's a recommendation.
Therapists IRL told me that they agree with what the agencies say. After a certain amount of time usually you stop making progress...
I'm just interested in hearing other mothers' opinions.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 3:56 pm
I'm a mother who has needed various therapies for different kids and such a suggestion never came up. I've never heard of this need. The only reason we ever changed therapists we liked was because of aging out (if they didn't also work with the new age group). Never saw it affect any progress.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics