Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Does this capon recipe need any sauce?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 4:45 pm
I found a capon stuffed with rice recipe on kosher scoop.
It's rice with mushrooms inside a capon, and the capon is seasoned with salt pepper paprika and onion flavor. (I added garlic).
Then I'm supposed to cook it at 350 (or 375, don't remember) covered and then uncovered.
Do I need to put any water/oil/sauce on top to keep the chicken moist, or is the recipe best left as is?
There are no reviews on the website.
Thanks!

laykee

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 4:52 pm
I would suggest either a sweet sauce -duck sauce, some mustard and soy/hosin sauce OR savory like BBQ sauce or oil mixed with spices.

mommish613

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:00 pm
No sauce or oil. Before you put in the oven uncovered you glaze with a drop of duck sauce. The capons give off a lot of liquid- I make a similar recipe all the time. It's from Dining In.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:26 pm
mommish613 wrote:
No sauce or oil. Before you put in the oven uncovered you glaze with a drop of duck sauce. The capons give off a lot of liquid- I make a similar recipe all the time. It's from Dining In.

Can put on literally a drop? I'm trying to cook healthy so I don't want too much duck sauce.

joss3

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 5:44 pm
I make dark chicken (skin on) Capons stuffed with quinoa all the time, they don't need sauce on top. After halfway baking covered I baste the chicken and then bake the rest of time uncovered.
Tip: spice the underside of the chicken before putting stuffing on, then also spice the top after rolling.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:26 pm
joss3 wrote:
I make dark chicken (skin on) Capons stuffed with quinoa all the time, they don't need sauce on top. After halfway baking covered I baste the chicken and then bake the rest of time uncovered.
Tip: spice the underside of the chicken before putting stuffing on, then also spice the top after rolling.

What do you baste it with?
And can you share your recipe? Quinoa stuffed capon sounds delicious!

sky

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:31 pm
I made a capon recipe stuffed with rice, lots of sauteed onions and just spices.
It was missing something. I had originally tasted it at someones house and it was out of this world. But when I made it based on their very basic instructions it just wasn't the same. I think it needed TONS of spices and I just under spiced it
In the end I added some duck sauce on top to give it some more flavor when I reheated.
But I think if you start out with enough flavor it should be fine. Taste the rice first.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:47 pm
No need for sauce. It's like a roast chicken as it produces its own flavor and sauce. You can use pan drippings defatted if yu want something moist for people but I might just serve with a savory fruit relish like cranberry sauce on the side.

No need for duck sauce. Rub the outside with salt, pepper, whatever herbs you like like garlic or paprika and a bit of olive oil.

Some people recommend cooking with breast down so breast is moister but that's u to you. Some people flip.

You should baste frequently with the pan juices to keep the capon moist while cooking. You can tent legs r breast with foil if they are browning too much. The an juices will accumulate at the bottom just like a roast chicken.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:50 pm
Amarante wrote:
No need for sauce. It's like a roast chicken as it produces its own flavor and sauce. You can use pan drippings decreased if yu want something moist for people but I might just serve with a savory fruit relish like cranberry sauce on the side.

No need for duck sauce. Rub the outside with salt, pepper, whatever herbs you like like garlic or paprika and a bit of olive oil.

Some people recommend cooking with breast down so breast is moister but that's u to you. Some people flip.

You should baste frequently with the pan juices to keep the capon moist while cooking. You can tent legs r breast with foil if they are browning too much. The an juices will accumulate at the bottom just like a roast chicken.

Thanks amarante. Actually, I'm not talking about a real capon. What I'm talking about is a boneless chicken bottom that Jewish stores refer to as "capon" for some strange reason.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:54 pm
So you are describing dark meat chicken.

Again, I don't think you need a sauce if you cook with skin because it's pretty fatty. I would rub with olive oil and baste. My mother made plain chicken pieces like that and they were fine since dark meat is so moist. The juices will produce enough at the bottom to baste and keep moist.

The stuffed part had me thinking it was a whole bird.

mommish613

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:59 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can put on literally a drop? I'm trying to cook healthy so I don't want too much duck sauce.

Yes think 1/4 tsp or less per capon

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 7:02 pm
Here's a nice healthy recipe for chicken bottoms. Also very easy. The tomatoes and basil and garlic with the chicken juices create a delicious sauce.

Oven temp is centigrade.

Roast Chicken Legs with Tomatoes
(partially adapted from “Jamie’s Dinners” by Jamie Oliver)

INGREDIENTS
(serves 4)

4 large chicken legs
300g cherry tomatoes
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
2 carrots, cut into thick strips
3 medium leeks, use only the white to light green parts, divide in half and cut in 4cm lengths strips
1 whole bulb of garlic, broken up into cloves
1 big bunch of fresh basil
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper for seasoning

METHOD

Preheat oven to 170C.

1. Season chicken pieces all over with salt and pepper and put into the pan in one layer. Tuck the tomatoes, carrots and leeks under the chicken until everything is snug and tight. Scatter the basil leaves and garlic cloves on top. Drizzle over some olive oil. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the vegetables. That’s it!

2. Place the pan in the oven for 1 hour, flipping the chicken and big tomato chunks once after 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 230C and bake for another 20 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes, until the chicken is brown and crispy on the outside, but juicy and tender on the inside, with the meat easily falling off the bone if you push with a knife.

3. Serve with mashed potatoes and salad on the side. Squeeze out the garlic out of the skins before serving.

joss3

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 7:51 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
What do you baste it with?
And can you share your recipe? Quinoa stuffed capon sounds delicious!

I baste it with pan drippings.
I don't have a specific recipe, I just make quinoa, season with salt and pepper. I sometimes add sautéed onions, sometimes sautéed onions and veggies. If I don't want to sautée I add in a beaten egg to keep quinoa moist.
Spice the underside, plop on a spoonful of quinoa, roll and spice the tops (skin side) Spice is mix of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and chili powder.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered, baste with drippings, bake another 45 minutes uncovered.
Enjoy!

sky

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 8:57 pm
I made this recipe from ra_mom with no added sauce and it was fantastic (and healthier because stuffed with vegetables)

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....00079
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey