Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Dairy crockpot ideas

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 6:08 pm
Call me funny, but at this stage of pregnancy I can't even look at Fleshigs and can only eat dairy or pareve...what's can I make in a crockpot for Shabbos that won't burn?

yamz

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:42 pm
You can still make cholent, just keep it pareve. Sometimes I like to add a sweet potato to pareve cholent. Some people like to add eggs (clean, raw, still in the shell).People will tell you that you can make soup in the crockpot for Shabbos lunch. Technically that's true. You can make soup, like mushroom barley for example, and it won't burn. However, in my experience, it will taste ..... like cholent. Just about anything you leave in the crockpot for that amount of time is going to have that stewed (overcooked) flavor.

ETA -- Do you need hot food in the summer? If you are willing to try room temperature food, you will have many more options. Salads, quiches, frittatas, roasted vegetables and fish are all excellent at room temperature.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:48 pm
I make cholent for my gf, meat-free, picky-eater daughter. I put in sauteed onions, potatoes, rice, red lentils. Season with salt, garlic powder, and paprika.

SmileUrJewish

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 1:18 am
Lentil soup (pareve):

Ingredients:

3 boxes vegetable broth
1.5 tsp cumin
2 red bell peppers
1 medium white onion
1 can of carrots
2-3 stalks chopped celery
1.5 bags of lentils
A few bay leaves

Directions:

1. Rinse lentils until clean.
2. Pour into pot.
3. Add the broth and all the remaining ingredients.
4. Turn on low for Shabbat.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 10:07 am
You can do daal (lentil curry), also layered aubergine casserole.

Layered aubergine casserole

3 large aubergines
2-3 ripe tomatoes
2-3 onions
1 cup cooked chickpeas and/or vegetarian mince (optional)
1 tin tomato sauce
salt& pepper, vegetable oil

top & tail aubergines, then peel in stripes vertically (it would look a bit like zebra) and slice in 1-inch thickness. Slice tomatoes similarly. Slice onions in thinner slices (or chop coarsely). Salt & pepper aubergines and fry in small amount of oil for 3min each sides (they don't have to be soft). Set aside, and fry onions for 5min till softened (doesn't have to be caramelised).

In a large oven proof casserole, layer aubergine, tomatoes, onions and scatter around chickpeas. Dilute 1 tin tomato sauce with 1/2 tin water (optionally seasoned with 1 teasp parve soup mix) and pour over. Seal first with a piece of wax paper (cooking paper) then seal tightly with foil. You can either (1) bake 170c for 1.5 hours or (2) cook in a crockpot high for 45min then low overnight. Best served with rice. You can garnish with toasted pine nuts. I sometimes add vegetarian mince in addition to chickpeas.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 10:18 am
You can also do Orissa which is wheatberry casserole (more like cholent alternative)

2 cups wheatberry, rinsed and soaked either 6 hrs (cold water) or 1hr (hot water)
1 large heads or 2 small heads garlic, broken into cloves and peeled (don't worry it would mellow once cooked)
1 tbsp. paprika (this is NOT a typo)
1 tbsp. harissa (optional--you can skip it but it's not really Orissa without it at all!)
2-3 springs parsley, chopped
2 onions, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp. oil
salt & pepper
2 sweetpotatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 egg per person, in shells, rinsed

Sautee onions in oil for 5-10min till nearly browned. Drain water from wheatberry, add all ingredients except for eggs and combine. Make indentation and place eggs on top. Pour 2 cup water. Cook on high for 45min then slow overnight. I usually place a foil underneath the lid so it doesn't dry out, but vegetables provide enough moisture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals