Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Growing Perennials

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:15 pm
I am trying to plant flowers for the first time , ones that will grow back year to year outdoors. I planted seeds in seed starters and they have sprouted. I want to plant them outdoors. For the time being I have two kinds of flowers. Is there a rule of how to place flowers or can I just plant them one next to the other?

I have planted and grew veggies last year with success so this time I want to add the flowers to my garden. I am keeping the veggies and flowers separately though.

Any tips would be great...just want to see the flowers flourish and grow.

Kfar

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:21 pm
you should google this to see when they are really ready to be planted outdoors depending on where you live, how deep to plant and spacing between plants. I think there are usually many articles on these questions. Good luck!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:52 pm
Please update on how your gardening went. I will be following. I would like to plant perennials too but have zero experience. I plan to draw a landscape map (google it) so that I know where to put what even if I don't to everything in one year. Which I won't because our property is huge.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
Please update on how your gardening went. I will be following. I would like to plant perennials too but have zero experience. I plan to draw a landscape map (google it) so that I know where to put what even if I don't to everything in one year. Which I won't because our property is huge.

So far I planted two types , I just figured I'll give it a try. But the next day some animal decided it liked one the types of flowers (it was an assortment of colorful wild flowers) and dug them up and ate them. I was left with one type , I think they are called Zinnia...so far they are growing nicely, I'm not expecting them to bloom with flowers this season. Hopefully next year they will be nice and established so that they'll bloom. If I have success with those, I'm going to plant others. It's trial and error.

rgr

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 10:27 am
There are products you can put out that deter animals, they have the scent of predatory animals in it

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:27 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
So far I planted two types , I just figured I'll give it a try. But the next day some animal decided it liked one the types of flowers (it was an assortment of colorful wild flowers) and dug them up and ate them. I was left with one type , I think they are called Zinnia...so far they are growing nicely, I'm not expecting them to bloom with flowers this season. Hopefully next year they will be nice and established so that they'll bloom. If I have success with those, I'm going to plant others. It's trial and error.

Zinnia are an annual. They may naturally reseed but they are not considered perennials. You can free seed many annuals after the first frost directly in the ground. That still doesn't solve your critter problem though.

rgr

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 5:08 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Zinnia are an annual. They may naturally reseed but they are not considered perennials. You can free seed many annuals after the first frost directly in the ground. That still doesn't solve your critter problem though.

Thats it! Its called critter ridder
http://m.target.com/p/havahart.....aw.ds

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 6:48 pm
rgr wrote:
Thats it! Its called critter ridder
http://m.target.com/p/havahart.....aw.ds

Remember that this is made from hot peppers so be careful with human contact. Please don't use it where your kids may play.

Kfar

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:00 am
meanwhile, my perennials from last year are all coming up despite the chipmunks living under one plant! Rolling Eyes

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:13 am
Kfar wrote:
meanwhile, my perennials from last year are all coming up despite the chipmunks living under one plant! Rolling Eyes

I had bunnies nesting in the wood shavings at the base of my blue berries one year.

Mevater

Post Sat, May 28 2016, 11:50 pm
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/f.....rden/

I planted annuals in previous years but theyre for one season only.

What can anyone tell me about planting perennials, and which places in Brooklyn would have the biggest selection?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jul 17 2016, 10:30 pm
Is it too late in the summer to plant now? And.. How to water my grass so it gets greener?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening