Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What Can I Become An Expert In FAST, And How?
Previous  1  2

mom4many

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:49 am
What is your bachelors in? Do you want a masters?
First you need to figure out what you like. Take free online courses from edx or the like to see which areas speak to you.
Good luck!
No matter what your reasoning is, learning is ALWAYS a good thing!

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:28 pm
First thing I thought when I saw the title of your thread is that all the people out there who have higher degrees are going to put you down. In their minds they are thinking "what? how can you expect to become an expert in something fast? I worked to hard to get where I am and she just wants to become an expert quickly? Not fair! who does she think she is?"
...and I was right! They all told you that you can't do it! Well, I am here to tell you that you CAN do it! Here are some options for you. You can continue your studies and become a social worker, you can become a licensed real estate agent in no time .... a mortgage broker.

Some amazing people who I know do not even hold high degrees but are earning more than many others who went to school forever. One woman I know buys foreclosed properties and resells them for an incredible profit. She is "just" a real estate agent but she is also a millionaire. Another woman I know worked for a silk flower arrangement company where she was trained to create beautiful flowers and arrangements. After working for them for 6 years she opened her own silk florist company and is doing very well. A friend of my dh took a simple e- commerce course and opened his own online business and is quite successful. Another acquaintance was a sought after court stenographer and earned a high salary. After working for 20 years, she opened up her own licensed day care center and is well respected and doing a great job!

OP - it's not that PHD that impresses people. It's being successful at what you are doing and showing everyone that you have inner peace. Good luck!

bluebird

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:
Yes! I wasn't aware that you could study either online, or independently. Do you know how to research this?

I think the best resource is to look at the continuing education/extension programs at your local public universities. You will have a classroom, teacher, grades, etc. Some offer these programs online. But I want to stress that this is just gaining knowledge. You will not be an expert without extensive continued practice and experience after the class is over.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
First thing I thought when I saw the title of your thread is that all the people out there who have higher degrees are going to put you down. In their minds they are thinking "what? how can you expect to become an expert in something fast? I worked to hard to get where I am and she just wants to become an expert quickly? Not fair! who does she think she is?"
...and I was right! !

I think people are just amused at the the way the question was phrased, and the motivation behind it. It was not, "I'm really passionate about X, how can I become more expert in this field?" It was more like, I have no idea who I am or what I want to do, but I feel insecure so I need to become an expert in something. And fast.

I know I'm not an expert even though I spent years studying my subject matter. I don't resent people who are true experts. I appreciate the fact that they're willing to teach me and help me broaden my skills. I don't know a single person who became an expert in anything overnight. Business success notwithstanding.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics