Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Secular music

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:34 pm
From a hashkafa perspective, is it OK to listen to secular music such as music by the singer Rachel platten? Why?

Is music by Jewish artist better? Does it matter which genre?

Please enlighten me with your thoughts.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 18 2016, 11:45 pm
I take it on a case by case basis. Including 'frum' music.

There are some deeply inspiring songs that are composed by secular people. There are songs sung by frum singers I wouldn't want to listen to. And vice versa.

Every song is different, and I base it on its own merit. I always look at the lyrics first to determine whether or not I want to listen to that song.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:14 am
I don't know the singer you mentioned, but there have been threads on this subject before. Music is neutral. If it inspires, great. If it's coarse, avoid it.

Much of contemporary Jewish music is derivative, even though it's marketed as Jewish.

Listen to whatever moves you, and enjoy.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:17 am
"...I don't really care
What nobody else believes...

'Cuz I've still got a lot of fight left in me..."

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 1:01 am
Everyone will have a different opinion. I listen to all music. I dont equate listening to music to having anything to do with my hashkafa.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 2:48 am
I have no idea who Rachel Platten is, but since the answer to your question is so hashkafa-dependent, nobody can answer for you.

I don't think the religion of the singer makes much difference (esp if the music is secular). The Beastie Boys are Jewish, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to claim their music is more neshama-enriching than the symphonies of Mozart, a Christian. Of course, music is very personal, so perhaps you would disagree.

little_mage

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 6:35 am
amother wrote:

Much of contemporary Jewish music is derivative, even though it's marketed as Jewish.

Listen to whatever moves you, and enjoy.

This. I can't listen to Uncle Moishy because I start trying to sing the English words that use that tune.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:48 am

Rachel sings her fight song with a cancer patient.
This was so moving.

I like Rachel Platten's songs. I think she's quite "eidel".

I think the answer to your question is, it's a personal feeling. (A 'gefeel' in yiddish.)
Some people avoid any secular music good or bad.
Some choose the good from the bad.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:59 am
asmileaday wrote:

Rachel sings her fight song with a cancer patient.
This was so moving.

I like Rachel Platten's songs. I think she's quite "eidel".

I think the answer to your question is, it's a personal feeling. (A 'gefeel' in yiddish.)
Some people avoid any secular music good or bad.
Some choose the good from the bad.

This song usually empowers me.

This clip made me cry.

Thank God for songs like that.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:43 pm
Op here.

I asked because my husband is against listening to anything non-jewish. He says that you are connecting with the non-jewish emotion involved in the song.

He seems to be basing it on tuuma vs tahara. I don't do kaballah. I follow halacha. That is it.
He couldn't provide a satisfying answer for me. That is why I asked here.

Now I am still confused. Speechless

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

I asked because my husband is against listening to anything non-jewish. He says that you are connecting with the non-jewish emotion involved in the song.

He seems to be basing it on tuuma vs tahara. I don't do kaballah. I follow halacha. That is it.
He couldn't provide a satisfying answer for me. That is why I asked here.

Now I am still confused. Speechless

You won't find a halacha saying not to listen to secular music. I think that a religious Jew ought to be sensitive and sensible. Meaning, vulgar ideas and coarse words are obviously not appropriate. But what is a non-Jewish emotion? If you prick us, do we not bleed?

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
He says that you are connecting with the non-jewish emotion involved in the song.

I'd ask him how non-Jewish emotions differ from Jewish ones.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
If you prick us, do we not bleed?

Thumbs Up

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 6:20 pm
My DH is Chassidish. He's also oddly obsessed with Xmas music! shock

He hums all the yoshke parts. LOL

He once had a bunch of Xmas carolers come to his door. He told them that he would donate double if they would pick songs that left yoshke out. There are plenty of beautiful hymns based on Tehillim, brotherly love, and the joy of winter.

"In the meadow we can build a snowman. We'll pretend that he is Rabbi Braun*! He'll say are you married? We'll say no, man. But you can do the job when you're in town!"

~ Walking in a Winter Wonderland.

*the snowman formerly known as "Parson Brown", LOL

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 7:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My DH is Chassidish. He's also oddly obsessed with Xmas music! shock

He hums all the yoshke parts. LOL

He once had a bunch of Xmas carolers come to his door. He told them that he would donate double if they would pick songs that left yoshke out. There are plenty of beautiful hymns based on Tehillim, brotherly love, and the joy of winter.

"In the meadow we can build a snowman. We'll pretend that he is Rabbi Braun*! He'll say are you married? We'll say no, man. But you can do the job when you're in town!"

~ Walking in a Winter Wonderland.

*the snowman formerly known as "Parson Brown", LOL

I like Wham's "Last Yoshkemas" - and I'm brave enough to post that non-anonymously. Wink

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

I asked because my husband is against listening to anything non-jewish. He says that you are connecting with the non-jewish emotion involved in the song.|

Well then, you're in luck. I'm pretty sure Rachel Platten is Jewish.

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 9:59 pm
clip made me cry, too.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:03 pm
I think it depends on the song. There are many songs by secular singers that are so beutiful & inspiring, while there are many songs by jewish singers that are not quite so & I wouldn't listen to them.

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
Well then, you're in luck. I'm pretty sure Rachel Platten is Jewish.

no such luck. her dad's jewish, though.

http://ethnicelebs.com/rachel-platten
Rachel Platten is an American singer and songwriter.

"Her father is of Russian Jewish descent. Her maternal grandfather was also of Russian Jewish heritage. Her maternal grandmother was Catholic, and had English, Irish, Scots-Irish (Northern Irish), Scottish, Welsh, remote Dutch, and remote French, ancestry. Rachel herself was raised Jewish."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics