Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dr shmuel Mandelman-pediatric neuropsychologist
1  2  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:51 am
Did anyone use him? For eval. We're u pleased? Did he guide u well?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:15 pm
Bump

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:33 pm
Yes! He's terrific! I recommend him highly. Very professional. He understands Yiddish. If that's what you want. He's spot on in diagnosis. He's an educational consultant. Will help you and guide you very well. I can't say enough words of praise about him. He's great.

He's gives you guidance and will speak to anyone in the school to help you figure out how to help your child. He gives you specific advice and guidance how to go after diagnosis. Explains things very clearly. A real mensch.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:42 pm
I googled him because I am also looking for a great pediatric neuropsychologist. It seems that he is an educational psychologist. I don't know if this makes a difference to you.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
I googled him because I am also looking for a great pediatric neuropsychologist. It seems that he is an educational psychologist. I don't know if this makes a difference to you.

Thank you wheat.
I actually had a phone consult with him and was very impressed.
Thank you for the feedback.
And he has actually got a dual phd in educational psychology and neuro psych

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:08 pm
He's highly recommended by relief, as a neuropsychologist

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:12 pm
Has anyone used him for add? Specifically in treating without meds?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:22 pm
Yes, he's great. He doesn't treat ADHD, he does full assessment.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:28 pm
why doesn't he treat if someone does have add? What does he say to do?

supermamma

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:56 pm
Right what does full assessment mean if not treat?

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 8:02 pm
supermamma wrote:
Right what does full assessment mean if not treat?

Assessment means testing and diagnosis, not treatment.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 3:30 am
Ok, it looks like some of you need explanation. When you need an evaluation or full assessment you go to one person. They are trained to do that only. Then he gives you recommendations as most of evaluators don't. And you go to the professional he recommends. He recommends what type to go to. Not specific names.

You can call relief in the USA. As they are up to date in who's competent. His extra specialty is he works with your school. And he does recommendation. And he is bilingual. In Yiddish. He's great at what he does.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 3:33 am
In my case it was ADHD. He told me to get medication for my dc. And see a therapist. What type. And where to read up and gain knowledge. What books to get. He holds your hand so to speak, when your clueless.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 7:45 am
amother wrote:
In my case it was ADHD. He told me to get medication for my dc. And see a therapist. What type. And where to read up and gain knowledge. What books to get. He holds your hand so to speak, when your clueless.

Thank you for sharing.
Im wondering if
Is he very pro meds. Or just a recommendation. Will he be ok with trying the no-meds path initially at least? Or is he be completely firm in his position on medication?
THANK YOU

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 10:32 am
You can call him and ask him. You can ask relief. They know him well. Every case is different so I don't know what he would tell someone else. But I do think he's flexible. He doesn't insist on anything. He just gives his recommendation. You can take or disregard. If you are not sure you trust him then call relief they have a lot of information.

If your child doesn't need medication necessarily I'm sure he would understand that. He's very approachable. As I mentioned he's a pleasure to deal with. I have yet to meet professionals in this area with such professionalism and menchlichkeit. I hope I'm clear about it.

It's really your decision what you want to do. No one can force you to do anything.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 4:53 pm
Only a psychiatrist or an MD can prescribe medication. Someone on the thread mentioned that he has a psychology degree. While a psychologist can diagnose ADD he cannot give the medication. This is the reason many, myself included, went straight to a psychiatrist for an evaluation, in case we wanted to go the medication route.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 25 2017, 4:58 pm
If your not sure if your child has ADHD that's what a full assessment is for. How does anyone diagnose their own child with ADHD? I wouldn't. That's what evaluators are for. I wouldn't go straight to a psychiatrist. It can be so many different things that don't necessarily need medication. Especially in children.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:35 am
Can those who used him please share how much the evaluation cost? Were there any options to make it more affordable like insurance coverage or sliding fee scale?
Thanks

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 7:56 am
Also can you please share contact information. Google is not being helpful.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Mar 15 2017, 8:05 am
You would need to call relief as I'm not sure if he's ok with giving his info online. 718-431-9501
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics