Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Can you recommend Clean secular Books for 4th grade girl
Previous  1  2  3

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:31 pm
sequoia wrote:
Rebecca goes OTD? At nine? Really?

More like, her grandparents are frum and her parents aren't.

I wouldn't call it OTD. She learns to compromise between her parents' and grandparents' values.

Gerbera

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:22 pm
Many of my suggestions have been mentioned. Bobbsey Twins, Boxcar Children, All of a Kind Family, Gordon Korman are all great. Gordon Korman ones such as No Coins Please and I Want to Go Home I have just re read!

Enid Blyton, Beverly Cleary, Carolyn Haywood.

Judy Blumes books featuring Fudge...not the ones meant for teens or preteens. Specifically Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, Fudgeamania, Double Fudge. Also Freckle Juice.

Ivy and Bean books

Amber Brown books

Harriet the Spy

clementine books by Sarah Pennypacker

Geronimo Stilton

Judy Moody books

Little House books

Jewishmofm

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 11:35 pm
The melendy quartet. Another vote for carefully selected Andrew clements. Milly molly mandy. My naughty little sister. Carefully selected Louis sachar. Black beauty, animal farm (yes, the nimshal may be lost, but a superficial reading can work at that age), trumpeter of the swan. Stuart little (if you're okay with a very tame boy-girl interaction between a mouse and bird or mouse and girl). other side of the mountain. Julie of the wolves. Another vote for Mrs piggle wiggle and Pippi longtockings. Mary Poppins series. The great brain series. Out of my mind. Carry on Mr bowditch (it's not exactly fiction, nor infallibly history..). Heart of a samurai (also borderline nonfiction).
We enjoy nonfiction around here a lot. But that takes screening of your own-we all approach that so differently.

ohmygosh

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 11:57 pm
I don't remember exactly what age I was when I read these, but I loved them and haven't seen them mentioned yet:

James and the Giant Peach
The BFG
Matilda

Also another vote for The Boxcar Children series, All of a Kind Family series and Charlottes Web.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 9:16 am
Gerbera wrote:
Many of my suggestions have been mentioned. Bobbsey Twins, Boxcar Children, All of a Kind Family, Gordon Korman are all great. Gordon Korman ones such as No Coins Please and I Want to Go Home I have just re read!

Gordon Korman is not all great. He's a fun read but you've got to tread carefully. Not just his YA books which wouldn't be in the running for a 4th grader but even as early as No More Dead Dogs he started writing for a different tekufah than he started for. (Compare No More Dead Dogs, which is for middle school, with A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag, which was YA at the time.)
But Radio Fifth Grade is great!

anon for this

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 9:33 am
As a kid, I liked Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, which is completely "clean".

My daughter likes the Little House series too. Please note, though, that nearly every book mentions x-mas. Also, These Happy Golden Years is about Laura and Almanzo's chaste courtship, and contains a disturbing/ somewhat violent scene.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:11 pm
Charlie Bones series a little similar to Harry Potter but milder. I don't remember anything too objectionable, but take a read through yourself. I also use the site www.commonsensemedia.org for insight into different books. The site rates different objectionable categories (e.g. violence, language, & sez)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
Charlie Bones series a little similar to Harry Potter but milder. I don't remember anything too objectionable, but take a read through yourself. I also use the site www.commonsensemedia.org for insight into different books. The site rates different objectionable categories (e.g. violence, language, & sez)

I haven't checked out that link but for that alone I suspect it was worth reviving an old thread. Have you seen the secular booklist on chinuch.org?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children