Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
RIP Garry Marshall

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:12 am
Garry Marshall, the writer/producer/director of a number of sitcoms and films, died at the age of 81.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Marshall on a couple of occasions while I was in college, and he really set the bar for humility and trying to do solid work that people would enjoy. He was a huge presence in Northwestern University's School of Speech. It was well known that an alumnus/a with a little moxie and the ability to write a line of dialogue could show up at his office, and Mr. Marshall would make phone call after phone call on his/her behalf to secure a few interviews.

A lot of people up and down the entertainment food chain owe him their careers, and he always acted as if he were the one benefiting from the relationship.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:25 am
Not BDE? Either way, yes, from the bottom of the entertainment food chain, I benefited (maybe? Wink ) from hours of fairly clean entertainment. I heard that Richard Gere said something like he had a heart full of gold and a soul full of mischief.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:27 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Not BDE?

Nope -- he wasn't Jewish, though a lot of people assumed he was.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:09 am
Just bc a man isn't Jewish doesn't mean we shouldn't bless the true judge fit deciding to take him from our world And being him to His

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:22 am
singleagain wrote:
Just bc a man isn't Jewish doesn't mean we shouldn't bless the true judge fit deciding to take him from our world And being him to His

You know, I thought of that when I wrote the above post. I agree 100 percent with you. My first impulse had been "BDE," but when I did a search, it seemed like the Imamother minhag is to use "RIP" when the person isn't Jewish.

If I followed my gut, I'd use "BDE" per your comment. On the other hand, I'm such a troublemaker already. Do I want to take on a helige Imamother minhag? Maybe I'll save it for a day when I'm spoiling for a fight but no one wants to discuss Regents or whether "Mrs." should be combined with a woman's first name.

Very Happy

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:27 am
I don't know who he is - but from your description a lot of people could stand to emulate his way of doing chasadim - as if he's the one benefiting

rest in peace

I guess I benefited from many a show/movie

pointyshoes

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:30 am
RIP for a wonderful man who lived a wonderful, full life.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:22 pm
Fox wrote:
Nope -- he wasn't Jewish, though a lot of people assumed he was.

Penny Marshall mentioned that she went to a Jewish summer camp. I always thought they were Jewish until I saw an interview with her saying they weren't but many people thought they were.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:46 pm
IMO a well-intentioned RIP is as meaningful. Possibly even more so to the departed or the loved ones in such a case.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:50 pm
now we know why adam sandler wrote his song ...

penguin

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:58 pm
Forward calls him "The Jewiest non-Jew in Hollywood"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics