Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ketogenic diet

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 8:19 pm
has anyone tried this for their children with seizures?
Looking for someone jewish to speak to - that has done this diet with kosher food.
do you know of someone?
thank you!

marina

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 9:44 pm
I know someone who did this. There is a cookbook that she used and adapted the recipes. I think she was successful but it was difficult bc of how strict she had to be

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 04 2015, 11:19 pm
It is certainly possible to do while keeping kosher. Stick to as many unprocessed items as you can, and that way you can avoid hidden starches and sugars.

Be aware that your child's breath will probably be bad, because of the ketones that are released into the lungs. All the tooth brushing, gum, and breath mints in the world won't fix it. It can also make body odor stronger and more unpleasant, so bathe regularly to remove ketones and toxins.

Make sure that your child gets lots of healthy fats, because you can lose a LOT of weight on a ketogenic diet.

chani8

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 4:31 am
We've been on and off keto for a few years and the breath thing is so mild. Probably because we don't eat much processed foods.

It's a very simple diet plan. Though it may feel restrictive to a child. What age is your child? Are you doing this on your own or with supervision from a doctor or clinic?

nylon

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 9:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It is certainly possible to do while keeping kosher. Stick to as many unprocessed items as you can, and that way you can avoid hidden starches and sugars.

Be aware that your child's breath will probably be bad, because of the ketones that are released into the lungs. All the tooth brushing, gum, and breath mints in the world won't fix it. It can also make body odor stronger and more unpleasant, so bathe regularly to remove ketones and toxins.

Make sure that your child gets lots of healthy fats, because you can lose a LOT of weight on a ketogenic diet.

I don't think you understand the seizure version of the keto diet. It is not the same as the one that has been popularized for weight loss. EVERY food this child eats will be planned by a dietitian and weighed to the gram--so the fat balance will be set by the dietitian, there will be NO starches, even medications will be modified to remove starches and sugars. The classic version of the diet is a 4:1 ratio with most of the calories coming from fat. A modified version has nearly half the calories coming from an MCT oil preparation called Liquigen.

OP, I am sure a dietitian can plan a kosher suitable version of the diet. Mixing milk and meat is an issue because heavy cream and butter are utilized a great deal. (The non-Jewish person I knew who did this diet also used quite a bit of bacon.) Everything will be prepared from scratch so it is a question of planning each individual meal.

small bean

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 10:48 am
There was an article in the mishpacha chanukah time with someone who a child with seizures and did the diet. You can probably contact the magazine to be put in contact with the writer.

chani8

Post Tue, May 05 2015, 11:54 am
Our kosher keto menu looks like this: Eggs and high fat cheese for breakfast. We drink coffee with high fat cream, but you could make a creamy drink with a sprinkle of cinnamon for example. Then lunch would be burger or chicken with low starch veggies. Dinner would be fish with veggies and butter or cheese sauce. Snacks were generally nuts or cheese sticks. Zucchini with cheese and oregano tastes like pizza. Anyway, my point in sharing this was, no bacon needed. lol. The childrens program probably has supplemental shakes and processed snacks, too, to make it easier for kids.

githen03

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:01 pm
Hi OP,

I know of someone whose child is on the ketogenic diet due to seizures (and as far as I know it is BH working well for them) and she has no problem speaking with you about it. If you PM me I can give you her number, unless you would rather contact me in a different way.

imamothernj

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 6:44 pm
amother wrote:
has anyone tried this for their children with seizures?
Looking for someone jewish to speak to - that has done this diet with kosher food.
do you know of someone?
thank you!

Did you decide to do this? We are considering it for one of our kids

imamothernj

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:08 pm
Bump

marina

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 11:17 pm
http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=41618

The second video in that link is about a frum child with a keto diet

Here's the link for the video directly https://vimeo.com/159006014#at=319

imamothernj

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 6:02 am
marina wrote:
http://www.collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=41618

The second video in that link is about a frum child with a keto diet

Here's the link for the video directly https://vimeo.com/159006014#at=319

Thanks!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:17 pm
Has anyone done this?

imamothernj

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:33 pm
Yes, we have. Feel free to PM me

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:48 pm
Ketogenic meals for kids are not the same as weightloss keto. I do know of a couple of people that have done this but have to think about who they were. Both religious families though.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:57 pm
EVERY food this child eats will be planned by a dietitian and weighed to the gram--so the fat balance will be set by the dietitian, there will be NO starches, even medications will be modified to remove starches and sugars. n.

THIS

there’s no messing around. This is serious. Not weightloss. It’s therapeutic. That said, if it works, it’s miraculous and worth the effort.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics