Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Are cholent bags safe??

soproud

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:36 pm
I'm a bit wary of using the plastic crock pot liners because of the chemicals etc. Is this a valid concern or really no big deal?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:39 pm
I would never cook in a plastic bag. I don't microwave in a plastic container, either. it's certainly not healthy.

supermama2

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:48 pm
hahahaa I read are cholent beans safe Rolling Eyes

I've used the bags for rice in cholent but not to line the crock pot. I've cooked roast in them too..DH doesn't like me to use them anymore b/c of op's concerns. I find that if I soak the crockpot in hot soapy water right after Shabbos then after melavah malkah I can clean it w/ a little scrubbing.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 10:54 pm
Only if you use Reynold's brand. I've tried all the others and the plastic disintegrates after a time going straight into the food. This brand had too little water, that brand needs less water, this one had too high temp...etc. Reynold's does the trick Shabbos after Shabbos and I love it. Line, cook, eat, throw out. Rinse pot.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 11:28 pm
I have no idea whether they are safe, but prefer to err on the side of caution and don't use them... except the week before Pesach.

Tova

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 11:32 pm
I also don't use them for this reason. We also try not to put plastic containers/bags of food in the microwave.

mandksima

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 1:08 am
I don't use them for this reason because I am also unsure. I can't imagine that toxins don't leach into the food. It was recommended here to use parchment paper to line the pot but it hasn't been the best either for me as I still have to scrub after Shabbat, not as much but still enough to be a hassle.

lst

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 2:30 am
We don't use any liners and I've never had a problem cleaning the crockpot. I think it has to do with how the cholent is made. My husband makes it and he first pours in some oil and spreads it all around the bottom and the sides of the crockpot. I don't think he does it to make the clean up easier,he has a specific way he likes to make the cholent. But I think it does help make things not stick to the sides.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 3:27 am
lst wrote:
We don't use any liners and I've never had a problem cleaning the crockpot. I think it has to do with how the cholent is made. My husband makes it and he first pours in some oil and spreads it all around the bottom and the sides of the crockpot. I don't think he does it to make the clean up easier,he has a specific way he likes to make the cholent. But I think it does help make things not stick to the sides.
I read that tip here on Imamother (maybe you posted it?) about shmearing oil around the crockpot. I find it helps a lot.

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 5:53 pm
I have friends who spray the chulent pot with pam (or the equivalent) to make cleanup easier.

am-yisrael-chai

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:38 pm
No, they are definitely NOT safe for Cholent. This week I spoke with the leading manufacturers of "plastic" / "nylon" bags. They do not want their bags in the oven for longer than 5 hours at the most. After 5 hours leaching will occur, the chemicals whether from plastic or nylon will leach into your food. Same applies to liners for slow cookers and crock pots.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:09 pm
This thread is 4 years old, am-yisrael-chai.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking