Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Menu for Shabbos during a Heatwave with NO air Conditioner

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:46 am
Yes.

Our air conditioner has been out of commission for nearly 4 weeks but the weather has been fairly decent. This weekend will be super hot and I the replacement piece will arrive on Saturday for the repair to be done on Monday.

WHAT CAN I SERVE THAT WILL NOT HEAT UP MY KITCHEN.

Last week I cooked in the middle of the night on Thursday but just heating up the food Friday left our home at 87.

I need food suggestions/recipes for shabbos that can be served cold- I can heat food up for Friday night but leaving the oven on all shabbos would be insane.

PLEASE offer suggestions- I simply cannot think.
Last night our bedroom was 90 when I attempted to get some sleep UGH!!!

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:50 am
Someone requested a way of serving civiche on shabbos, see if she got any responses.
Fruit soup, chicken salad sandwiches, cold cuts, Cole slaw.
Any ready made food you can pick up?

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:53 am
Cold soup, meal salads, pasta with a tehina or peanut butter sauce, grilled chicken, I find the crockpot to be my best tool in this weather as it emits very little heat.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:55 am
there is some kind of stand alone air conditioner that you can rent. its worth looking into. if not get box fans.
eat ice cubes and salmon or chicken salad.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 10:56 am
Salatim and deli!

Potato salad, Israeli salad, cole slaw, tuna salad, pasta salad.
Dips like hummus, techina, babaghanoush.
Cut up veggies and parve ranch dip.
Cold poached salmon.
DIY sandwiches.
Fruit salad and sorbet for dessert.

This works especially well if you have people who are picky eaters, or have little appetite because of the heat. Everyone can take a bit of what they want, and the rest is great for leftovers during the week.

Look in the recipe section for my post "Salads!" Lots of great ideas there.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:55 am
pastrami sandwiches with coleslaw & potatoe salad & ice cold beer herbal tea, watermelon

deviled eggs, tuna salad, bagels with cream cheese & lox, and spinach salad, lemon aide, watermelon

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:12 pm
first thing on my menu would be ...a window unit air conditioner for about $99!!!

I have central air but own one window unit. You never know when the system stops working ..... some rooms have bad ducts and need more air if used for a long time in the middle of the day.... you wont be wasting money ...really!!! over the years you will see that you will use your window unit from time to time. I beg you to please go out and buy one today.

Sure you can have shabbos food cold ...why not??

cold schnitzel
deli -or deli rolls (I have served turkey roll slices on fri. night!)
potato salad
corn salad (w/pickles)
eggs/liver
deli salad
cole slaw
sweet kugel is good cold - lukshen or apple/cranberry crisp - (take out of fridge and leave room temp.)
you could have chulent in a crock pot - I doubt it makes the house much warmer

I think the oven is a killer .....that heats up the house for a long time. Use your stove a little, toaster over, microwave for simple food prep.

buy lots of ices!!!!!

Last summer I met a woman in the bungalow colony who used to buy her entire shabbos. They ate only cold since they did not bring up pots or use the questionable bungalow oven. She did bring up her george forman grill which she used during the week.

Totally possible to prepare a cold menu.

Liebs

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:51 pm
Slushy grape juice! (freeze before shabbos and take out early bec. don't think can freeze it on shabbos)
Challah roll and dips
Eggs/liver/coleslaw
(or salmon salad because it's lighter)
Main I'd do grilled shnitzel platter with cold cuts and London broil salad (all can be done outdoors on a grill and not even get your kitchen hot ever!!)
If you want more can do sesame noodle salad/apple crips...
Ice cream/fruit salad/sorbet

[If you feel you need cholent-either put by neighbor or I put my crockpot on a shabbos clock. According to our rav we can extend it to stay on once on or extend it to stay off once off-so I set the clock to shut at 12 (and I have it off until the time shabbos started day before) so extend it to stay off until 9 pm....so off whole afternoon.]
Enjoy Smile

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:59 pm
Challah, hummus, fake crab salad ( with avacado, cucumber, sesame oil and soy sauce or with tomatoes, lime, jalapeƱo, and lime juice) salad with smoked turkey ( add fresh corn kernels cut off the cob and chopped raw veggies and a mustardy dressing , Popsicles or pareve ice cream.

abound

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:00 pm
put in lemon sorbet (in the peels) as a entree or something it will cool everyone off

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:08 pm
I would also use the crockpot for the Friday night main course and keep it on a timer so it shuts off after the meal and doesn't keep going all shabbos.

Friday Night
-store bought challah
-no cook dips like tomato dip, guacamole, tehina, spinach dip (from frozen spinach), humus (from canned chickpeas)
-pan seared tilapia (takes 7 minutes stovetop) made fresh and served at room temperature
-skip the soup or serve a chilled gazpacho
-fresh cool salads
-whole rotisserie style chicken in the crockpot made with baby potatoes underneath
-ices for dessert

Shabbos Day
-challah
-dips
-lots of refreshing salads
-egg salad (once water starts to boil, turn off heat and leave covered for 12 minutes, then rinse and chill the eggs in ice water)
-chopped liver (kosher liver is available already broiled so no cooking)
-grilled chicken, sliced on the diagonal
-deli slices
-cold pasta salad or potato salad (minimal cooking time, though you may want to boil the water in a hot water urn before transferring to a pot as it emits much less heat than keeping the flame on until the water starts to boil)

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:26 pm
Thanks everyone!!!
Really wonderful suggestions.
This was super helpful.
THANK YOU!!!

jflower

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
first thing on my menu would be ...a window unit air conditioner for about $99!!!

I have central air but own one window unit. You never know when the system stops working ..... some rooms have bad ducts and need more air if used for a long time in the middle of the day.... you wont be wasting money ...really!!! over the years you will see that you will use your window unit from time to time. I beg you to please go out and buy one today.

Sure you can have shabbos food cold ...why not??

cold schnitzel
deli -or deli rolls (I have served turkey roll slices on fri. night!)
potato salad
corn salad (w/pickles)
eggs/liver
deli salad
cole slaw
sweet kugel is good cold - lukshen or apple/cranberry crisp - (take out of fridge and leave room temp.)
you could have chulent in a crock pot - I doubt it makes the house much warmer

I think the oven is a killer .....that heats up the house for a long time. Use your stove a little, toaster over, microwave for simple food prep.

buy lots of ices!!!!!

Last summer I met a woman in the bungalow colony who used to buy her entire shabbos. They ate only cold since they did not bring up pots or use the questionable bungalow oven. She did bring up her george forman grill which she used during the week.

Totally possible to prepare a cold menu.

Valleymom, where do you live? I recently saw inexpensive air conditioners for sale at Shoprite & Home Depot. Any chance you have either of these stores near your home?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics