Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interview During Work Hours

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 6:38 am
I worked at a small business in a high level position. My boss told me one day that due to financial issues that I was aware of, he couldn't cover my salary anymore. He gave me one week's notice. This is not a large company with policies and procedures.

I immediately started looking for a new position. One morning one of my freelance clients who he knew about asked that I come in for a meeting. I responded that I never do freelance work during working hours, but that I was currently looking for new employment. They said why don't you come in for the meeting and we can talk about it. I notified my boss that I had an interview that morning so I would be coming in late and making up the hours later. ( I always had flexible hours.)

Turns out my boss knows someone at the company where I freelance, who told him that I came in for freelance work during work hours. He was furious.

The story is over, I've left the job and am Bh on to a new one. What would you have done? Did I do something wrong here?

sunspot

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 6:42 am
I am not sure why your former boss was furious. He should understand that 1. He gave you short notice 2. You need find another job 3. You had told him you would make up the hours, so I do not know why it was his business if you went for a freelance meeting or for a doctors appointment

Ahuvah2

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 6:48 am
I would do the same; that's the norm. Your former boss was probably only furious, because of the business situation.It was just a way to release anger.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 7:17 am
Your former boss had no place or standing to be furious. He gave you one week notice when the accepted norm is minimum 2 weeks.
What did he think you were going to do?!

leah233

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 9:27 am
I'm baffled. He told you good bye, start looking for a new job not the other way around.You anyway work flexible hours so you don't really have a concept of committed work time.Unless I'm missing something, what is the issue here?

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 9:56 am
Thanks everyone for the validation! I was feeling so bad, trying to figure out if I could have done anything differently.

He was really angry because his source at the company told him that I came for freelance work, which officially I only do at night. He said he felt like I stole from him. My view was that 1) I made up the hours so I didn't steal a minute 2) I was going both for freelance work and to discuss future employment, I can't argue if he received misinformation from whoever his source was.

debsey

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone for the validation! I was feeling so bad, trying to figure out if I could have done anything differently.

He was really angry because his source at the company told him that I came for freelance work, which officially I only do at night. He said he felt like I stole from him. My view was that 1) I made up the hours so I didn't steal a minute 2) I was going both for freelance work and to discuss future employment, I can't argue if he received misinformation from whoever his source was.
well, if his people skills are anything to go by, we have some indication why his business failed! Seriously, I don't think you did anything wrong.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
Turns out my boss knows someone at the company where I freelance, who told him that I came in for freelance work during work hours. He was furious.
... What would you have done?

I would clear up the issue with the freelance company ...

quite rude of the guy that fired you ... I might have quit on the spot once I heard this

hotmom

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 3:46 pm
1 week job loss notice is very short time. Your boss should understand you need to find a new job as soon as you lose this one and high chances are for interviews during work hours. Unless he offered you compensation money till you find a job he can't be furious with you. He has to learn to deal with it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 3:51 pm
Thank you everyone! I felt the same, I'll go into Shabbos feeling better about myself knowing I didn't do anything wrong.
I agree that 1 week is very short. He originally said 1 week, I asked for 3, and he said okay. After this story he said forget it, finish the week and that's it.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jul 23 2016, 2:43 pm
Actually I find it highly unprofessional for your boss's mate /informer to tell your boss about your interview. Any job application should be treated with confidentiality until the new company needs to get reference (even that needs to be done with your knowledge /consent).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics