Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Question for Israeli Imamothers

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:27 am
I hope somebody can help me here. I just bought a box of dates and now realised it comes from Israel. Are Israeli dates currently a shmitta issue or would they be from this Hebrew calendar year?

If you don't know, do you know where I can find this out?

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
I hope somebody can help me here. I just bought a box of dates and now realised it comes from Israel. Are Israeli dates currently a shmitta issue or would they be from this Hebrew calendar year?

If you don't know, do you know where I can find this out?

My husband said he would assume they're from last year since it doesn't seem like new ones are in the stores yet this year. Does it have an Israeli hechsher or anything on the box?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:52 am
Besides shmittah, there are trumah and maaser issues.

Is there a good hechsher on the box?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
Besides shmittah, there are trumah and maaser issues.

Is there a good hechsher on the box?

This- and most importantly, it needs to be certified orlah-free. If it were only trumot and maasrot you'd take them without a bracha- orlah is just plain assur.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 12:13 pm
The date trees in my neighborhood aren't nearly ripe, they won't be until almost October - so I assume the ones you have are from last year. Check the box for a heksher.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:49 pm
Whoa, here in the UK we always buy without a hechsher. There are no dates with a hechsher to be found! I generally make sure not to buy Israeli produce but bought this in error. I know I need to maaser but if it's from shemita I cannot use it at all.

Obviously I now realise I'll have to give it a pass. Thank you so much for all your input I really appreciate it!

water_bear88

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:09 pm
But AYLOR what to do with it! Like if b'dieved you may be allowed to eat it if it's shmitah, and how best to dispose of it if you're not allowed to eat it.

myname1

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:21 pm
If you post the company or some other info from the box, I can see if it is the same as some of the dates I have in the house. I was thinking it could be they don't put the hechsher on for exporting, even on the off chance that it's from the same place. Then we could probably contact the kashrus organization here to ask about it.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
Whoa, here in the UK we always buy without a hechsher. There are no dates with a hechsher to be found! I generally make sure not to buy Israeli produce but bought this in error. I know I need to maaser but if it's from shemita I cannot use it at all.

Obviously I now realise I'll have to give it a pass.
Thank you so much for all your input I really appreciate it!

That's not quite right. The *problem* with shemitta produce (kedushas sheviis) is not in eating it - sheviis can be eaten - but in disposing of the leftovers, so once you've bought it, *not* eating it would be the problem. You can't just throw it out. And if it's sheviis, you wouldn't need to take terumos and maasros at all, but if not, then you would. I think it's best to call your LOR to clarify what you should do with it now.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
That's not quite right. The *problem* with shemitta produce (kedushas sheviis) is not in eating it - sheviis can be eaten - but in disposing of the leftovers, so once you've bought it, *not* eating it would be the problem. You can't just throw it out. And if it's sheviis, you wouldn't need to take terumos and maasros at all, but if not, then you would. I think it's best to call your LOR to clarify what you should do with it now.

I know what I'm doing as we've had a similar scenario in the past. Sheviis may not be eaten out of Eretz Yisroel so the only option is to leave it until it rots. Once completely rotten it can be disposed of. Obviously this is the psak we were given, everyone has to ask their own Rav.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:58 pm
If the dates are from an area of E"Y far to the South, shmita may not be relevant.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:06 pm
DrMom wrote:
If the dates are from an area of E"Y far to the South, shmita may not be relevant.

Interesting to know, however since it just says 'Israel' there's no real way for me to verify that.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 1:00 pm
Post a picture of the box; anything south of Beer Sheva is not a problem. Also, dates come ripe around the end of August/beginning September so yes, IF they are from North of Beer Sheva and IF you don't hold by heter mechira then they would have kedushat shevi'it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions