Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 22  23  24  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:25 pm
BRHS class of 2008
Any1 else from my class on here?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:37 pm
I went to tomer devorah. I was very good at camouflaging myself to fit in both then and now. If I met staff from the school, they'd probably be happy with how I turned out. Of course they have no idea that while I was in school I was reading library books and listening to radio songs and using the internet, and they'd have no idea that now I lean more towards MO than heimish/chassidish.

So am I a product of the school? I guess, in that they taught me all the ins and outs of how to camouflage myself well to fit in when I need to. But am I a typical student of the school? Um, no not really, and I wasn't then either. I'm way too independent, mistrustful, cynical, anti-establishment and anti-authority to ever be a good sheep in the flock.

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
I can't explain bec I know too much. But those that know enough about technology would know this. For those who don't know what I mean make sure your wifi is protected. Make sure others that try to access wifi from you can't.

WTH

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:01 pm
amother wrote:
I went to tomer devorah. I was very good at camouflaging myself to fit in both then and now. If I met staff from the school, they'd probably be happy with how I turned out. Of course they have no idea that while I was in school I was reading library books and listening to radio songs and using the internet, and they'd have no idea that now I lean more towards MO than heimish/chassidish.

So am I a product of the school? I guess, in that they taught me all the ins and outs of how to camouflage myself well to fit in when I need to. But am I a typical student of the school? Um, no not really, and I wasn't then either. I'm way too independent, mistrustful, cynical, anti-establishment and anti-authority to ever be a good sheep in the flock.

You're my kind of gal:) cheers to the black sheep.

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:05 pm
This thread is very interesting. I like it!! Smile

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:11 pm
Zehava wrote:
You're my kind of gal:) cheers to the black sheep.

Lol thanks. For what it's worth, I'm not disparaging the white sheep at all. They are safe, comfortable, many of them are smarter or more accomplished than I am, they have each other, they fit in and they know their place in the world. Those are a lot of positive things which lead to very happy lives.

Most of the attributes that make me the way I am are not necessarily positive attributes. But I work with what G-d gave me.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:

I went to a different school, but this sounds like me.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:22 pm
I've been a "black sheep" my entire life, and I think we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that those who are happier and more easygoing are stupid.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Lol thanks. For what it's worth, I'm not disparaging the white sheep at all. They are safe, comfortable, many of them are smarter or more accomplished than I am, they have each other, they fit in and they know their place in the world. Those are a lot of positive things which lead to very happy lives.

Most of the attributes that make me the way I am are not necessarily positive attributes. But I work with what G-d gave me.

While it's totally fine not to disparage the white sheep don't disparage yourself either.
I bet you are stronger than the lot of them. I bet you are a fighter, and I bet you got through some things that would fell those white sheep in a moment.
I bet you are wiser too. And more empathetic. I'll bet that you see more, feel more, and overall your world is richer and more nuanced than theirs.
I'll bet you are amazing just the way you are.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:26 pm
sequoia wrote:
I've been a "black sheep" my entire life, and I think we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that those who are happier and more easygoing are stupid.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:27 pm
sequoia wrote:

Not stupid. But being forced to swim against the tide our entire lives does give us somewhat of an edge if only through sheer experience.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:27 pm
Zehava wrote:
While it's totally fine not to disparage the white sheep don't disparage yourself either.
I bet you are stronger than the lot of them. I bet you are a fighter, and I bet you got through some things that would fell those white sheep in a moment.
I bet you are wiser too. And more empathetic. I'll bet that you see more, feel more, and overall your world is richer and more nuanced than theirs.
I'll bet you are amazing just the way you are.

Hug

Thanks for this post.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Im from satmar bp. Very average students I guess. I wear palm tights with seams a and covered shwitel. Im proud of my education. I have masters degree. Send my children to satmar and have a very filtered internet.. I had to request permission for imamother.lol.
Nobody knowa qhat I have or wht I do.its between me and Hashem. Im trying to make him happy..

Which college/university accepted your high school diploma from Satmar?

Zehava

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
Hug

Thanks for this post.

My pleasure. Always lovely to meet a fellow black sheep and it hurts when we internalize society's perception of us.

cnc

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
Which college/university accepted your high school diploma from Satmar?

Maybe she got a GED.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
Any satmar bp girls on here? Wave Wave

I am

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:38 pm
cnc wrote:
Maybe she got a GED.

That is what I did when no one wanted to accept my wonderful high school diploma from Satmar. But I am curious to hear from amother herself about her experiences with it.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:39 pm
Where did the amother colors go?

relish

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:41 pm
sequoia wrote:
Where did the amother colors go?

They got used up!

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 9:55 pm
sequoia wrote:

Thanks for this. I find that a lot of "black sheep" tend to think that the "happy go lucky, go with the flow" types are just smiley robots without brains. I appreciate you pointing out that it's not true. I am very much the easy going type, but I am far from a mindless sheep. I am not at all the classic bais yaakov type, but I did just fine in my bais yaakov school. Not because I didn't have my own opinions, rather because I didn't care to share them. I'd rather just smile and go with the flow. I did my own thing when I wasn't in school.
Page 12 of 24   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 22  23  24  Next Recent Topics