Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Just got my driver's license - when to start bringing kids?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 10:25 pm
I passed my test last week and have been out 4 times by myself. I'm 30 and for various reasons it took me a while to do this. I have been enjoying driving by myself - it's scary but I'm definitely gaining confidence and skills.

I originally thought I would take a good few months after passing to drive by myself before thinking about bringing my kids with me. But now my husband has gone away for a few days and left the car, so I'm wondering if it's crazy to take them on short drives to the park etc?

The alternative would be staying home or taking an uber to places. My kids are little and are quite happy playing at home all day and riding bikes outside, but I like them to have time outside the house.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 10:32 pm
I would wait until you are totally confident. Its a whole 'nother ball game driving woth kids. Its not about 'having' them there. But more about the distraction you will have when the fight/cry/nag. You need to be fully confident in uour drivijg skills before adding children to the mix.

Disclaimer, I'm not a driver. But husband is do this is from my observations as a passenger.
Just my 2 cents.

And congrats and happy safe driving!

Ahuvah2

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:57 pm
Get some more practice first.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:10 am
if you got your license, you should be able to drive ... just don't jump onto highways if you are not comfortable

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 5:40 am
I spent 2 weeks driving around town by myself every day before I felt ready to bring the kids. It's not a hard and fast rule, but the important thing is to drive somewhere in the neighborhood every day to build that confidence. It shouldn't take too long, especially around the neighborhood, where you'll become familiar with the route really quickly. Maybe today, practice driving to the park, then tomorrow you'll feel confident to take the kids along the same route.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:04 am
I recently got my license as well. I drove with six kids in the car first day. I think you need to just jump in and do it. you know how to drive, stop second-guessing yourself. you'll be ok.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:57 am
Just want to add- if the kids start whining and fighting, you can always pull over. If you're just driving around the neighborhood, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a safe place to pull into, until you're ready to keep going. They'll learn pretty fast not to bother you while you're driving.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 10:07 am
The morning after DD passed her road test, my younger DD missed the camp bus. Well, it's not for nothing that I'm paying double car insurance since adding her to my plan.... She happily runs my errands for me, including transportation! I'm liking this....

kollel wife

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:07 pm
Most females I know, do not feel 100% confident to drive alone after passing the driving test. Until now there was always someone in the car with you. I'd first drive alone until I feel confident, or perhaps take only a very short trip with the kids. By the way, it's broiling outside anyway. So you and then might not enjoy getting out as much as you think you will.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:23 pm
The only way to build confidence is to do it. Take them somewhere close by and using roads that you're comfortable on.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:31 pm
drive the route you will be taking alone first, so you are familiar with turns, etc.

rosey

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 12:38 pm
When I learned to drive my instructor spoke to me nonstop. At the time I thought he was just very talkative, but now I think it was good, since I can tune out anything when I need to. Maybe put on the radio while you drive to get used to sound, if you don't do that yet.

Also when there is too much going on I often say "Mommy has to concentrate now, I'll talk to you in a minute" if I need to focus on my driving. That may not work in the middle of a fight, but you never know.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 11:48 pm
OP here - thanks so much for all the responses. I took my kids out on a short trip to the park and BH it was fine! Yes, the baby cried but I managed to stay focused on the road. I appreciate all the support from everyone here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics