Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Renting a Camper

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 7:23 pm
I'm thinking of renting a small camper for just the two of us. It wouldn't necessarily be a long trip but more to avoid having to stop at public restrooms. (I know, sounds a bit nuts...) And to have a refrigerator for all my special foods... We might even stay in a hotel somewhere, depending on how the trip went.

Anyone having done something like this that can tell us pros or cons?

Jeanette

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 7:32 pm
I've looked into it and theoretically it could be a lot of fun but the costs of renting the camper, gas, etc exceeds the costs of hotel rooms and may even be more expensive than flying.

Last edited by Jeanette on Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:16 pm
Do you know approx numbers? I'm planning to call tomw but just wondering what you found out.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 8:23 pm
This was a few years ago but the total costs were well over $2000 for two weeks. But then we were looking into a larger one that could accommodate our whole family.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 24 2016, 11:14 pm
the point would be moot if you stay in a hotel

for way cheaper you can bring along the foods you need in coolers

and bring a package of toilet paper & toilet seat covers with you to enable public bathroom use with ease [yes it's nuts to rent a camper for a porta-potty]

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:01 am
Greenie, you don't understand. I have this recurring nightmare where I go into a ladies restroom. Usually it's a wedding hall with fancy decor. But the first stall has no seat. The second stall is clogged. The third one they didn't flush. etc. etc. Meanwhile I wake up almost...

So it's a pretty serious phobia. And often when we stop on the highway - a lot of it is true! Once I actually went into a porta-potty at a rest stop!

So I think it's either this idea or stay home.

And why I would stay at a hotel anyhow - because I'm kinda scared of rednecks in a trailer park where we could stop... yeah, I guess I need some therapy. So there's goes the vacation fund!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 2:11 am
If you're flexible about where you're going, try this:
http://thriftynomads.com/rv-relocation-deals/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics