Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Are you happy with your kids school?
Previous  1  2

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:34 pm
My kids are in Ybh in Passaic and we are thrilled - warm, positive, upbeat and supportive environment and our kids WANT to go to school each day (even the ones in middle school).

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:08 pm
op. It's so personal. I have a kid that went to two of the schools mentioned due to moving which was in part due to lack of a school that we like where we were Wink enough said.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 10:28 pm
From my experience with both MO and more right-wing schools, I think the degree of warmth (or lack thereof) has a lot more to do with the specific school than with which "category" the school falls into. There are MO schools that focus on warmth, and there are those that do not. The same is true of the more right-wing schools.

My daughters have been in two different Bais Yaakov schools (we moved), which are pretty different from each other, but we have been very happy with both of them, so, yes OP, it is possible to like your children's school. Of course, there are things in each school that I didn't/don't love 100%, but overall we have been very happy, and my kids are happy to go to school and have positive feelings about school.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 11:28 pm
My girls are in BY of the Lower East Side and they love it. It is an amazing school and they love going, even in older grades.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 11:43 pm
I can only speak from my own experience, as my kids aren't in school yet. I went to Prospect Park (Flatbush, Brooklyn) and it fits your criteria- warm and attentive to students; middle of the road yeshivish. I don't think I jumped out of bed to go to school each morning- especially in the older grades- but I did enjoy a lot of my classes. The high school has a reputation for being more academically challenging than the elementary school. I think it is one of the more academic-oriented high schools in Flatbush. My parents were very happy, and I thought it was good. Feel free to let me know if you want more detail on the pros and cons, and I will PM you.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
Clifton Cheder in Clifton/Passaic NJ. The school itself espouses right wing education, however the parent body are a very diverse type (within regular orthodox circles, modern orthodox families don't send there)

How nice to know that I am not "regular" Orthodox. Please watch out how you label other Jews.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 1:15 am
Highly recommend Bnos Malka Academy in Queens (NY). Smaller size school, very interested in maintaining a warm atmosphere. Like every school in the world you"ll have individual kids having individual issues or disagreements with other kids, but overall I found the administration to be AMAZING and the teachers really wanted to help the kids.

The school is an all girls school, not sure how I'd categorize it (when did all the labels seem to grow subdivisions???). Certainly Orthodox, maybe Orthodox with yeshivish leanings? The girls dress in uniforms, there's a focus on mitzvot and derech eretz, but at the same time there are kids who have TVs and watch movies (Some do, some don't).

And yes, English academics are stressed as well. Link for them here -

http://www.bnosmalka.org/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children