Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Please explain the concept of bitul

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:28 am
Please can you clever people explain this to me. I'm not talking batel bshishim or bitul zman or anything like that. Rather, I mean the whole idea that you should be COMPLETELY batel to the will of HKBH. And that leads to the greatest joy. Now I do get that as soon as you say you are doing anything to increase your joy rather than in order to serve the Creator then you are not really serving the Creator. But to me this whole bitul concept evokes feelings of darkness and sadness, and being walked all over by other people. The very opposite of light. The sort of thing where you think you are doing something really great for a while, and then you realise it is really something terrible. Is it just that I am totally evil or am I getting something else wrong? I'm not even exactly sure what the question is. Can you "enlighten" me?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:07 am
Do you have access to the book The Six Constant Mitzvos? It's put out by Artscroll, written by Rabbi Yitzchak (?) Heimowitz, based on the shiurim of Rabbi Yitzchak Berkowitz. I think you'll find it interesting and helpful.

trixx

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:42 am
http://chabad.org/search/keywo.....s.htm

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 1:16 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Please can you clever people explain this to me. I'm not talking batel bshishim or bitul zman or anything like that. Rather, I mean the whole idea that you should be COMPLETELY batel to the will of HKBH. And that leads to the greatest joy. Now I do get that as soon as you say you are doing anything to increase your joy rather than in order to serve the Creator then you are not really serving the Creator. But to me this whole bitul concept evokes feelings of darkness and sadness, and being walked all over by other people. The very opposite of light. The sort of thing where you think you are doing something really great for a while, and then you realise it is really something terrible. Is it just that I am totally evil or am I getting something else wrong? I'm not even exactly sure what the question is. Can you "enlighten" me?

Why don't you think the Creator wants us to be happy? Imagine if you give your child a gift and he just mopes around or uses it begrudgingly. That's not what you want to see. You want a sincere thank you, and not just a one-time think, and geshmak in enjoying the gift.
Hashem WANTS to see us enjoy the great gifts He's given us. He wants us to connect all the gifts in serving Him. If we get pleasure from something, e.g a strawberry milkshake (leftover ice cream is defrosting now) can you tell Tongue Out savor every bite, appreciate the gadlus of what we call nature (think Rabbi Avigdor Miller) and let it nourish you to be more an upbeat servant of our Creator.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics