Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yoshon 101

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 7:40 pm
Sorry to start a new thread, the others are old. I went to yoshonnetwork.org and it looks amazing. I would like to find a site where I could enter a product and it would tell me when the deadlines are, like Costco bread flour. I think it's called Con Agra. I entered it in the yoshonnetwork.com search engine, got to a page that said "read more" and nothing's happening.

If anyone has any advice, tips, etc. for a yoshon newbie please share them. And yes, I stocked up on oatmeal already. TIA!!!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 7:57 pm
Yoshon Network kind of merged with yoshon.com (same people just was 2 separate sites) -- yoshon.com is the right place to go. You sometimes need to click on additional info on the actual page.
Is this what you are looking for? It may not be up to date for this year as the Guide to Chodosh has only released very preliminary information about buying deadlines, not actual dates.
http://yoshon.com/brands/bakin.....lour/

If you need any more help, I am a co-director of The Yoshon Network, and can speak to the people who made the site.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 7:58 pm
Depending on where you are located, my tips would differ. Where I am, I'm the only person who keeps yoshon, and as such there are some things impossible to get yoshon, like bagels. Larger communities with a nice sized yoshon keeping population may find bagel stores with yoshon bagels that they don't need to stock up.

working hard

Post Mon, Jul 25 2016, 9:55 pm
by the way, on Yoshon.com, the date codes are under the additional information tab.

As far as tips on keeping Yoshon, the Guide to Chodosh has a summary of Yoshon in the beginning of the guide. You can download last years guide from yoshon.com. That information is very helpful.

As far as actual product buying, a lot depends on your location. In Brooklyn and Lakewood, you can buy Yoshon all year long. Out of town, you may have to stock up.

Many items have Hashgocho for Yoshon. Those are the easy ones. Others you need to read the date codes.
If you have specific questions you can ask me or you can email the Guide to Chodosh at yherman20@gmail.com

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:47 am
Thanks. Yoshon is available year round if you want to pay more. I'd like to know when to stock up. I've heard e.g. that it's oatmeal time now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:27 pm
It's everything time right now.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 7:46 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's everything time right now.

Do you mean it's time to stock up on everything?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 7:52 am
I got an email recently that chodosh season is going to start a bit early this year? Is that true?

working hard

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:34 am
Yes. The chodosh harvest of oats has already begun. Wheat and barley are beginning within a few days.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:05 pm
Yes, it's time to start stocking up (you're not too late, but unless you like to stock up like 50 lbs of pasta and flour and bread and bagels and granola bars and barley, etc etc on the same day, it's time to start!)

In the midwest, freshly baked goods can become problematic by the mid-end of next week according to the preliminary info!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:25 am
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figure this one is short enough. How do I find out if it's too late to stock up on an item, like Grape Nuts cereal? It's not showing up anywhere yet. TIA.

ddmom

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 11:38 pm
Anything before expiration date of Aug 15th 2020 should be yoshon from what I've seen on star k quick list!(post cereals/wheat ingredients)

alef12

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:23 am
Oats may be chodosh as of packing date of August 2 from what I've read

(Not makpid on Yoshon but keep aware of this so I can tell my customers who ask, when my products may begin to possibly contain chodosh)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:21 am
ddmom wrote:
Anything before expiration date of Aug 15th 2020 should be yoshon from what I've seen on star k quick list!(post cereals/wheat ingredients)

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen