Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
OT specializes in sensory in Lakewood

yblybl

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:25 am
Does anybody have any experience with or know of an OT in Lakewood that specializes in a child suffering from a severe case of sensory issues?
my son is 8 years old and very badly needs help. the small sensory issues that we thought we can ignore and he would grow out of with time are becoming more and more pronounced and affecting his daily activities.
I am at a loss of where or who to turn to.
does anybody have any advice for me?

Last edited by yblybl on Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:33 am
My son also had serious sensory issues when he was 8. That's when it became more noticeable. I don't live in Lakewood but I used an excellent sensory OT in my neighborhood. I paid out of pocket but was reimbursed 70% by insurance after the deductible was met. I also did lots of other things - swim lessons are great for kids with sensory issues so we do that every summer. I also started martial arts training recently and my son loves it - it makes them feel more macho and really gets them in touch with their bodies (as much as a sensory kid can be in touch with his body Smile). Other things I do are: compliment the areas where he does succeed, such as reading. If your son doesn't read then he should start because it's very calming for sensory kids and helps them do well in school. I also encourage things like magic tricks, Harry Potter, Lego, and some video games like MineCraft in moderation. Sensory kids seem to like these things. In terms of eating - you can PM me Smile Also because my son has younger siblings I often put him "in charge" which helps him connect with his surroundings. I also ask him to polish silver for Shabbos or put away laundry and sometimes I give him "points" for doing chores and when he gets enough points he gets a deposit into his bank account. Feel free to PM me ... by the way the majority of the sensory boys do fine, they get married and have good jobs and they don't get caught up in the narishkeit that other boys might. However, it is important that he maintain a good self esteem and not get bullied. I also spend money on getting my son good toys and nosh so that people will want to come play at our house, and I also made him a very nice birthday party - just do as much as you can afford or creatively come up with.

Another thing that I learned is to encourage him to be friends with other sensory kids or less "cool" kids. Why should I force my son to strive for a club that is not a good fit for him? We stopped Little League after one season because it was the worst fit for our family (for this kid at least) and I don't bother making play dates with the cooler kids in his class. Just try as much as possible to value the great things he brings to your family. You can PM me about other issues such as medical - we have worked on these as well.

Last edited by self-actualization on Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

yblybl

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:42 am
thank you so much for the information you provided.
I am able to relate to alot of what you are saying.
I'd still appreciate any other feedback from anyone else that may have information on this topic.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 12:38 pm
wow.... self-actualization, this sounds like my son! Only difference is that my son has extreme anger outbursts and takes out a lot (often gets physical) with his younger siblings. He has also resorted recently to acting very immature, saying inappropriate words.

yblybl- you should specify in the subject line - Lakewood.

I have gone to the children's hospital for specialized services. They have experienced OT's. They do not all specialize in sensory so you have to make sure that the therapist you get is one who specializes in sensory issues.

Also, which insurance so you have? For private pay there are more choices.

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 1:35 pm
Also I read lots of books on this subject and the one that I liked the best is "Raising a Sensory Smart Child" by Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske.

yblybl

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:04 pm
I am willing to pay whatever it'll cost to get this treated properly. and like you were saying- it is getting so frustrating because its effecting his physical outbursts with his younger siblings!
I cannot ignore this anymore. its just not fair to the younger ones. (and to himself)

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:09 pm
I think both Ruchie Cohen and Leah Gross are OT's in Lakewood with knowledge/experience in sensory issues.

balibusta

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:36 pm
Sensory therapist OT in lkwd thats takes jersey care??

galbis

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:13 pm
Here are some names of therapists in Lakewood who specialize in sensory difficulties: Rivky Fishman, Leah Gross, Sylvia Hershkowitz, Zahava Deutsch/Aviva Aberback, Leah Gross, Ruchie Cohen, Brainbuilders has many therapists specializing in it as well.
I doubt any of them take Jersey Care, but many take other insurances. You can also ask these therapists about catastrophic, which is where you can get reimbursed if you spend a certain percentage of your income on therapy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics