Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Why can you make a hefsek on shabbos?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 1:34 am
I've been wondering about this for a while, but it was brought to the forefront of my mind this week as I prepare to go to the mikvah m"s.

Why are we allowed to make a hefsek tahara on shabbos? Isn't that the very definition of hachana? By making an HT we are literally planning on doing something the next motzai shabbos.

Similarly, why are we allowed to do bedikos on shabbos? It's not quite as perplexing because it's something most women do daily for a week so it's not quite the same as the HT. Still wondering though.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 1:43 am
Because Taharas HaMishpacha and getting to mikvah on time is HUGELY important and a BIG mitzvah. And it's not prep, because if you didn't do it that day then you would have to start again. It's part of the process itself.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:49 am
I agree that TH is a big mitzvah, but it's not exactly in the aseres hadibros like shabbos is.

Any other answers?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 10:54 am
Hachana for any mitzvah is permitted on shabbos

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:05 am
amother wrote:

True.

You are even allowed to pledge money to tzedaka on shabbos, and discuss practical arrangements for a trip, etc., if it's for the sake of a mitzvah.

losingweight

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:55 am
Great question op. I don't have an answer but I do know that many poskim don't allow a kallah to toivel on motzei shabbos for this reason. That the hefsek was made shabbos. But us married women are different. There is a waiting husband and we start at the immediate end of the period.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:

Not quite true.

The answer to OP's question is that making a HT is its own discrete mitzvah.

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
I've been wondering about this for a while, but it was brought to the forefront of my mind this week as I prepare to go to the mikvah m"s.

Why are we allowed to make a hefsek tahara on shabbos? Isn't that the very definition of hachana? By making an HT we are literally planning on doing something the next motzai shabbos.

Similarly, why are we allowed to do bedikos on shabbos? It's not quite as perplexing because it's something most women do daily for a week so it's not quite the same as the HT. Still wondering though.

By contrast you are allowed to perform a bris milah on Shabbos--cutting, drawing blood etc. Mikvah should also be a problem on Shabbos, but it was considered to be such a special mitzvah, that it is docheh Shabbos.

From a spiritual perspective, being intimate and creating a new neshama that is destined to come down "b'shaa tova" and denying that only because of "shabbos" is "playing with fire" and waiting could mess up HaShem's plans.

The only times that tevila is pushed off l'halacha are when relations are forbidden--I.e. yom kippur and tisha b'av.

Also I believe others mentioned, that the hefsek isn't a preparation for mikvah, it is only ascertaining if the bleeding stopped--as its' name implies--you are "checking". As long as you don't actually "plan" something you are allowed to do something that is "preparation"--I.e. taking a nap, getting dressed, prepare food, "put something away"--I.e. into the freezer on shabbos.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:

You can do a hefsek on Yom Kippur, even though washing is prohibited. That's how important TH is in Halacha

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 3:01 pm
It may feel nice to talk about "special" mitzvos and "important" mitzvos but halacha doesn't work that way. There is a clear hierarchy that determines what halacha takes precedence over what, when, and why (ex. d'oraiysa vs d'rabbanan; lo saaseh vs asseh etc.)

miami85 wrote:
Also I believe others mentioned, that the hefsek isn't a preparation for mikvah, it is only ascertaining if the bleeding stopped--as its' name implies--you are "checking". As long as you don't actually "plan" something you are allowed to do something that is "preparation"--I.e. taking a nap, getting dressed, prepare food, "put something away"--I.e. into the freezer on shabbos.

That's not entirely accurate. You wouldn't be allowed to get dressed on Shabbos specifically for an event after Shabbos. You cannot prepare food on Shabbos for after Shabbos, which is why we make an eruv tavshilin for a Shabbos that immediately follows a yom tov. You can put something away in the fridge or freezer to prevent spoilage, which is an issur d'oraiysa. It may be questionable to take a nap on Shabbos specifically to be rested for after Shabbos if you don't normally do so.

Again, the reason we are allowed to make a hefsek tahara on Shabbos is because it is its own mitzvah. It is one step in the process of going to mikvah but it is an independent mitzvah in its own right.

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:21 pm
Because the rules are made by MEN. Smile

WastingTime

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 11:47 am
I don't think its hachana. Hachana is doing something now for after Shabbos. The hefsek tarah can only be done now. You are not doing a hefsek tarah now so that you don't have to do it after Shabbos.
Maybe you can't watch what you eat on Shabbos because you are preparing that the scale won't go up on Sunday?
I dunno- sounds like you're thinking too hard ;-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions