Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Weekend getaway, help me pack good Shabbos food

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:30 am
I want to get away for shabbos & Sunday to nice private beachfront hotel, I'm planning a romantic setting. Just dh & me. There's no kosher food around that area. Can you help me with good food ideas to pack along for shabbos & Sunday.
Thanks

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 8:35 am
Where are you located? Can you buy a shabbos travel package for two?

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 8:35 am
I can tell you what I would bring a long.
Shnitzel, rice, pre checked lettuce in a bag, hardboiled eggs, challah.
Things that are ok to eat room temp, or can be reheated easily on Shabbos, I.e. Dry food.
Are you planning to take a long a crockpot.
I've made frozen meals in crockpot liner bags, and cooked them there. Keep them in a cooler and refrigerate as soon as you get there. They'll slowly defrost in the fridge. You can put it up before shabbos.
I would bring along milk, cheese and yogurt.
Fruit, salad veggies, tuna, mayo, cereal, snacks, etc. you can get there at any supermarket, Walmart, target, etc.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 8:42 am
Otherwise, bring challah, avocado to mash for guacamole, fish, soup (warm in knotted bag in crockpot) and grilled chicken to serve at room temperature Friday night.
Shabbos breakfast can be cheese snack and canned ice coffee.
For shabbos day bring more challah, guacamole, fish, eggs, lettuce mix and dressing, cold cuts cholent for crockpot (leave out water and only add when you get there and put up the dish).
For Saturday night you can bring a macaroni cheese salad and some cut up vegetables.
Sunday morning string cheese, hard eggs, crackers.
Sunday afternoon prepared tuna from container, pickles and bread to assemble into sandwiches.
Enjoy!

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 10:54 am
Challah or rolls
Tuna and Mayo
Lox
Cold Cuts
Cold Schnitzel
If you have where to warm something up, a small potato kugel

Lots of fruits and vegetables
cakes, cookies, pastries
Cereal and milk
Pitta bread
Cream cheese/Hard Cheese

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 8:03 pm
your favorite foods! seriously I dont think my food preferences would help you. it doesnt have to be regular shobbos fare, just delicious and special

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:14 pm
It's easy to do though a bit of a shlepp. A crockpot can work out well if you want hot food by day.

N'sMom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:29 pm
I agree with Naomi2. Dh and I used to go away to the Jersey shore together and we basically took our favorite things and a few luxury treats that weren't usually in the budget. Don't forget a good bottle of wine and some nice rolls. And have fun.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:35 pm
Are you flying or driving.

If driving, you can use a cooler and a crockpot or even a hot plate unless forbidden by the hotel. With ice from the hotel, food will keep well.

Miri7

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 5:14 pm
DH and I usually just pack our favorite foods up in a cooler. We eat lots of salads, make sandwiches, then have some fancy extras. We will often splurge on fancy cheeses and have cheese wine and fruit for lunch. Gazpacho if it's going to be hot.

We just have fruit and yogurt for breakfast. We also bring iced coffee drinks.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 01 2016, 5:30 pm
We only stays at places with kitchens and I bring a small cutting board and knife, a small hot plate, a small pot and a ladle: challah, chicken or butternut soup, rosemary lamb chops,
Roasted potatoes,
Roasted asparagus, ( berries that we buy near our Shabbat destination). Shabbos morning we have blondies and iced coffee ( we buy the almond one) then for lunch we have curry lemon schnitzel, green beans and sweet potatoes. Fruit for desert For shalosh suedos we make a quinoa salad with baby tomatoes,cucumber, avacado, hearts of palm, olive oil, salt and lemon juice. Then we have the hot soup after Shabbos. Sunday is deli and bread ( freeze before Shabbat so it's not stale) with avacado and tomato slices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics