Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Redesigning a small laundry room

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:30 pm
I need to redesign my 'new' laundry room to make it practical.

It's a nook between kitchen and garage, kind of a 7.5' deep space with a small window at the end. When you look into it the left wall has a hookup for a sink (I took out the old ugly one), washer, dryer. The wall opposite the machines has a closet with sliding doors, hanging rod and a bunch of small shelves in the sides of the closet, perpendicular to the rod.

I've just had front-loader machines installed, and I can say they're huuuge, or just the room is actually quite narrow. The front of machines sticks out past the window a bit. To open machine door, I need to make sure the closet door is slid open to the other side so I bend down and step back into the closet. I have a nasty feeling it's gonna be inconvenient. Pedestals are expensive, and I was hoping to be able to fold on top of the machines.

I also thought to install a wire shelf above the machines for drying some items but not sure now. Should I replace the closet sliding door with an accordion door and keep it open when I do laundry so I can bend down and step back into the closet?
Also keep the accordion door open when stuff is drying and close it when done?

What kind of shelf to put above the machines for folding and possibly ironing? (I have to double check the height to see if it's not too high for me to do either one, I'm 5'2")

Any advice?

sariti

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:36 pm
Look on houzz.com they have great ideas

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:55 pm
sariti wrote:
Look on houzz.com they have great ideas
m
Thanks I looked there, on Pinterest and other places. Their pics look nice but aren't necessarily practical if used in a household that generates lots of laundry.

That's why I specifically want feedback from imamothers who do tons and tons of laundry, folding, need space for drying more than 3 hang-dry items at a time etc, and more than 1-2 small sorting baskets. some real-life tips how to use a small space like and have a smooth flow of laundry.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:57 pm
I can't exactly picture ur setup. But keep in mind that the front loaders need to be let left open until they are completely dry otherwise you get a nasty mildewy buildup in the door. One thing they never show you in all the pretty ads for them. So make sure whatever you do. You have room to leave the doors open

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 8:30 pm
Kumphort wrote:
I can't exactly picture ur setup. But keep in mind that the front loaders need to be let left open until they are completely dry otherwise you get a nasty mildewy buildup in the door. One thing they never show you in all the pretty ads for them. So make sure whatever you do. You have room to leave the doors open

Thank you for the reminder about leaving the doors open, it's the first time I'm going to be using top loader.

The setup is such that when you face the machines, you have a row of sink-washer-dryer.

And on the wall behind you there is a built-in closet with sliding doors.

The wall to the right has a small window, and there is no wall to the left, as there is a small space/ walkway going out to the kitchen, garage and outside.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 9:02 pm
aren't sliding doors hidden similar to pocket doors ... just leave those open [unless I am misunderstanding]

how about some sort of pull down hanger shelf to hang stuff http://www.improvementscatalog.....C0Jlw

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 11:09 pm
greenfire wrote:
aren't sliding doors hidden similar to pocket doors ... just leave those open [unless I am misunderstanding]

Sliding doors have a rail on top, two doors sliding from side to side, and only one half of the closet can be open at a time, or both doors hanging in the middle.

Eta: cool drying rack, but what I need is a long rod or shelf to hang stuff on hangers, like skirts, dresses, Shabbos pants.

lfab

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 9:55 am
My mother has something like this in her laundry room that she uses for hanging clothes to dry.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Clo.....96402

I also saw this idea https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini.....f.jpg which I though could be a nice useful touch if your kids are somewhat older and can fold their own laundry. Then you can just sort into separate bins and each child folds their own. You can just replace the shelves on the side of the closet with something like this.

ETA: Regarding the closet doors, you could just remove the doors and hang a curtain up instead. This way you don't have to always be opening/closing the doors but can just sort of back into the closet without even opening the curtain.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 11:57 am
lfab wrote:
My mother has something like this in her laundry room that she uses for hanging clothes to dry.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Clo.....96402

I have that and it works except after Tisha B'Av, Succos and Pesach. Then I put drying racks in the bathrooms but that is only three times a year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry