Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Social skills book
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:58 am
Anyone knows the Jewish book "super social skills" by s. Licht? Is it good for a 7 yr old? I couldn't find reviews on it? Anything else to build social skills?

redheaded

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 11:41 am
honorable mentschen by genendel krohn.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 3:19 pm
superflex is great.

sped

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 4:17 pm
I would suggest that you read "It's So Much Work To Be Your Friend", by Rick Lavoie. It is an excellent, clear and practical guide to all the different things that go into good social skills.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 5:43 pm
Thanks. I was wondering if anyone has this book. It's a Jewish author

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 6:05 pm
I'm a social skills therapist. I'm currently in the midst of creating a book for middle to upper elementary students.
Which specifics would you like to see/read in the book.
Your details would be very appreciated!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 6:15 pm
Thanks so much. I am looking for a book that geared towards adhd children. Has short attention span. And pictures that portray the message. Like the short stories that are in pictures form and there is pop up with short comments in it. Let me know if you know what mean. I would love for him To learn how to follow rules. How to understand other people and give others space. To get it when someone says no and not keep nagging. And boundaries. I know I am saying a lot I don't mind if it's a whole bunch of short stories and it divided into different books in a series. And a dvd to see it live. So it's more tangible with guidance questions for parents how to engage in it and questions for the child so they get it better and parents can figure out if the child understand s it. Not sure if I'm clear.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 7:58 pm
Bais Faiga in Lakewood has a "friendship" program for the 2nd graders. One teacher published a book with all the social skills spelled out in comic form (only 1 or 2 scenarios on a pg). I was really impressed with this book. It was written well and the graphics are great too. The importance of having the right social skills is what helps children to have friends. For example, there is a pg with a girls checking if her face is clean, her hair is neat before she approaches her friend. Also a scene with a girl who wants to go over to a group of girls who are talking but she is not sure what to do. (teaches not to interrupt, speak in a soft voice....)

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 8:12 pm
I know the book you are talking about. Firstly there are 4 stories so it deals with 4 situations. The stories are longer than I would expect a kid with a short attention span to be able to follow. Some of the stories are cute (like the one with the phone call) but others are meh.

I like books by Julia Cook. They aren't expensive - maybe 6 - 8 dollars each and are written in part prose part rhyme so the kids can follow along. Most of them have a "mantra" or a catchphrase that the kid can repeat along with you every time you say it. You can get them all on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Julia-Co.....2-ent

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 8:39 pm
Someone should write a detailed, blow by blow book for those of us with ASD still trying to figure out the nuances of social skills

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Faiga in Lakewood has a "friendship" program for the 2nd graders. One teacher published a book with all the social skills spelled out in comic form (only 1 or 2 scenarios on a pg). I was really impressed with this book. It was written well and the graphics are great too. The importance of having the right social skills is what helps children to have friends. For example, there is a pg with a girls checking if her face is clean, her hair is neat before she approaches her friend. Also a scene with a girl who wants to go over to a group of girls who are talking but she is not sure what to do. (teaches not to interrupt, speak in a soft voice....)

What's the name of this book, where can I find it ?

cholenteater

Post Thu, Jul 28 2016, 10:27 pm
This may be a good book to help him learn about personal space. Personal Space Camp

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/.....3x696

There is another book that goes along with the one above that has activities to help practice the skills.

http://m.target.com/p/personal.....aw.ds

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 12:39 am
Thanks so much. Ds has language that is not age appropriate. He speaks like an adult. His rebbe told that to us and I realized myself. He very much wAnts to be like an adult. So sometimes he'll say stuff like that are not age appropriate and other s think it's chutzpah. Any books to help
Him speak appropriately?

cholenteater

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 5:23 am
Another thing- do you have an ipad/smartphone /tablet? If so there are apps that can help with social skills. They go through common scenarios and what are appropriate reactions. For a visual learner, it can really make a difference. I can post the links here (if applicable to you).

ETA or windows 8 and above that allow for downloading apps.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 7:38 am
amother wrote:

My DD was just in 2nd grade in BF. I didn't know about this program.

It happens that my DD is struggling a bit socially - but not at all for any of the reasons you mention here. She's put together enough, and she's totally not shy. She's just more of a strong personality, and she needs to learn to tune into others more when it comes to friendships.

I'm following this thread - I'd love to get her some books that could help her.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 8:31 am
cholenteater wrote:
Another thing- do you have an ipad/smartphone /tablet? If so there are apps that can help with social skills. They go through common scenarios and what are appropriate reactions. For a visual learner, it can really make a difference. I can post the links here (if applicable to you).

ETA or windows 8 and above that allow for downloading apps.

I'd love to look at these if you could post the links. thanks!

cholenteater

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:02 pm
http://www.additudemag.com/sli......html

The above link has a list of some apps that can benefit children with ADHD as well as any children who need some brushing up on social skills. You can look in the Google play store - search social skills app and many will come up.

https://play.google.com/store/.....20app

You can read the descriptions to get a feel of what the app offers. I suggest before purchasing an app to Google reviews- check out the free ones and see if they meet your needs.

If you can purchase a low cost tablet (there are some as low as $20!) that you can fill up with apps, it will make it easier than giving your phone/ computer.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:15 pm
I did get the super social skills book. its a good book. I will probably read it to him many times until I think he got the message. I think it will be a good idea to get my hands on as many books as I can on this subject. its a good start.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 17 2016, 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:15 pm
im not sure I even want my ds on the computer or on my phone. so I would love to see if there are any dvds that are on this subject.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 17 2016, 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total

cholenteater

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:21 pm
You can use this app-
https://play.google.com/store/.....edule

to make a visual check list of things you child needs to do, as a supporting tool to whichever skills you are working on. It is an app used for a visual schedule, however you can make it a list of things your child needs to do such as- if you are working on personal space, then each check box would be one detail of personal space skills. This can help him practice and he can check off each box. When all the boxes are checked off, you can give a reward. Then you can reference back to the list while you are out- you can say are you ready to get a check? (Or other words etc.) Which can cue him to remember whichever steps you are working on.

Another app is talking Tom (or whatever version you want), where you talk into the phone and it repeats back to you in a funnier voice/high pitch voice. This can help your child hear what he sounds like in a playful way. You can pretend he is talking to the rebbi and when he hears how he sounds, you can point out what needs to get fixed, model (say it the correct way) to the phone and he will hear it the correct way. Then have him imitate what you said. Give descriptive praise- I like how you put your voice lower by this word.... (Be specific! Which word did he use? Instead of which word?) I like how you used different words to say what you wanted to say...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics