Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which candidate will most Chassidishe Rebbes endorse?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Which Presidential candidate will most Chassidishe Rebbes endorse?
Clinton  
 37%  [ 35 ]
Trump  
 62%  [ 59 ]
Total Votes : 94

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 4:18 pm
Maya wrote:
The Satmar KJ endorsed Hillary in the primaries, but that's because most of his Chassidim are registered Democrats.

I can't imagine that the askamin in a Chassidus would endorse a candidate without asking for the input of the rebbe.

How do you imagine the 'asking for input' process works?

When I picture it, I imagine the askan comes in and presents the 'facts' he chose, calculated to persuade the rebbe to okay his decision.

If they even bother.

Maya

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 4:22 pm
youngishbear wrote:
How do you imagine the 'asking for input' process works?

When I picture it, I imagine the askan comes in and presents the 'facts' he chose, calculated to persuade the rebbe to okay his decision.

If they even bother.

I don't know specifically, but something that will at the very least make the rebbe aware of whom they plan to endorse.
You don't think so?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 4:47 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
If NY is solidly Hilary, which I think it is there is no reason to specifacly court the Chasidish vote because of the electorial college.

Exactly! Which is why I believe the OP is nothing more than a rabble rouser as indicated by another poster. Everyone knows that in presidential elections it's always the Dems that win NY.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly! Which is why I believe the OP is nothing more than a rabble rouser as indicated by another poster. Everyone knows that in presidential elections it's always the Dems that win NY.

Yups, though you never know in this wacky election which refuses to follow conventional wisdom or norms. Crazier things have happened already in this presidential election...

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 5:34 pm
Maya wrote:
I don't know specifically, but something that will at the very least make the rebbe aware of whom they plan to endorse.
You don't think so?

Right, but I doubt the rebbes form opinions based on ideology. I think they look at results and nod along to what the askanim tell them.

There is one point I did hear, which is that some of them believe it is important to support people who have helped in the past even if it is obvious they will lose the election, simply to show loyalty to those who help.

sneakermom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 5:37 pm
Wrong thread

samantha87

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 7:21 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
If NY is solidly Hilary, which I think it is there is no reason to specifically court the Chasidish vote because of the electorial college.

And, there is no benefit to endorsing a losing candidate. It's also hard to imagine any rebbes endorsing Trump because it would disgust the local Democrats and the rebbes need their institutions to have good relationships with local office holders who in N.Y. tend to be Democrats.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
I cant wait for the answers, and poll results.

Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to help the OP.

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 8:30 pm
Maya wrote:
Unfortunately, it's the truth.

Many things can be true, I think in an electoral system that specifically allows for lobbying by corporate and private interest groups, that an unsurprising number of people will vote for whoever will get them more

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
Trump cuz they wont want to hear a ladies name all over. and they would want to avoid her picture plastered everywhere.

for the faint hearted, I am kidding. LOL

This is a good point, what will frum publications do if we have a woman president? I guess they've erased her from pictures before...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
Trump 9
Clinton 3???? HUH?

Those who predict that Chassidishe Rebbes will endorse Trump, specifically which Chassidishe Rebbes are you thinking of?

Good to hear your voice again. I still can't figure out how this thread is justified.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 9:52 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
This is a good point, what will frum publications do if we have a woman president? I guess they've erased her from pictures before...

When the Ami was interviewed in the Forward, Rechy Frankfurter said that if Hillary wins, they will re-evaluate their no-women image policy.

Just another reason I want Trump to lose. Wink

freedomseek

Post Wed, Jul 27 2016, 11:16 pm
Why in the world do you even care who they endorse and if they do?!?

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 4:33 pm
If Hillary wins..... who will the Rabbi's pose for in a picture at the white house ceremonies? LOL

sourstix

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 4:44 pm
uch its nauseous to see what america is producing for presidential candidates. there are so many good people I would vote for but this is :banging head

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:01 am
I remember my lite MO shul endorsing openly someone (obviously right wing lol Jews) at the last election - it's not only chassids

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:10 am
Considering how many Chassidim are anti Zionists, it's no surprise that they would vote for Hillary. They'll throw Israeli Jews under the bus, as long as they can still get their government programs.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
Considering how many Chassidim are anti Zionists, it's no surprise that they would vote for Hillary. They'll throw Israeli Jews under the bus, as long as they can still get their government programs.

A. Hillary is not anti Israel.

B. Chassidim don't actually give a darn about a president's views on Israel. It's the lowest on their list of priorities.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:21 am
Maya wrote:
A. Hillary is not anti Israel.

B. Chassidim don't actually give a darn about a president's views on Israel. It's the lowest on their list of priorities.

Agree! Programs Programs Programs.

busymom

Post Sun, Jul 31 2016, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
I am very chasidish. And I'm 'into' politics. And I have never, ever heard of a chasidish rebbe endorsing a presidential candidate. Skver endorsed Hillary for senator.

Furthermore, not all chasidish sects endorse political candidates. Most of the time it's actually the chasidish mosdos that endorse candidates; it hardly ever comes directly from the Rebbe. And even then, it is usually city and state candidates, not presidential candidates.

I agree with the bolded. Askanim may make recommendations during LOCAL elections (like Skver for Hillary as Senator), but I never heard of an endorsement coming from a rebbe during presidential elections.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics