Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I'm sick of the profiling in the stores
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 9:52 am
Maya wrote:
Yes.
Besides, on the flip side, it costs $10 a week to upkeep your nails. You don't have to be exactly rich for that.

Remember one of those tuition threads where people of modest means who treat themselves to Mishpacha subscriptions were lambasted? I don't think it's worth $520 a year to look put together for the times I might want to step into certain stores. And some people don't care about their nails. I really wouldn't want to go somewhere that would require me to visit a salon, even occasionally.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 9:57 am
Sometimes, I'm in a store and the saleslady is helping someone else. I don't want her to disappear after she's done helping the other customer, and I also feel funny trailing after her.

So I'll say, Excuse me, Do you have xyz? If she then decides to go the extra measure and actually show me where it is--while the first customer is waiting for her--I'll tell her to finish up with that customer first.

By the same token, a saleswoman can smile at a new customer walking in and say, I'll be with you in a moment.

That's just courtesy.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
I'm not the amother who wrote about madmen so you read the wrong "last paragraph".

Regardless, what you say in theory sounds nice but that's bad business to lose out on the bigger sale. Especially since if you're obnoxious to the wealthy lady because she walked in the door second and as you said "so sad, too bad, let her go." Trust me she is running and not coming back. Ever.

Again, I believe all should be treated equal but when that isn't possible you do need to decide.
There's a reason I started off my first post by saying that I was getting myself in trouble. I'm sure my view is unpopular but I speak from the side of the store owner.

Again - the woman who walks in second gets waitied on second. She is in a rush? Not mh problem. And I didnt say that I would be obnoxious to her. So sad too bad is what I think in my mind - to her, I say that Im sorry but this woman was first. Please browse and I will be with you in a minute. And if she is so self important that she thinks she is more important than her fellow jewish woman, I dont want her dirty money.

If you are the owner, and you are stupid enough to only have 1 person working at a time, and you are stupid enough to hire a worker who cant help 2 people at one time, well then, I cant imagine you have very good business sense in the first place, and I cant imagine your shop will be very successful. Its likely one of the places thats being bashed right here on this very thread. People talk. So lets say that Mrs. Wealthy leaves and never comes back. Great. She tells her wealthy friends that she got "bad service" - but they dont care because they know she is a self intitled brat who feels the world needs to bend over backwards for her. Yes, thats the typical behavior of someone who comes in to a store and expects to be waited on first. But Mrs. $15 top feels amazing and posts the name of the shop on imamother - thats free advertising. For example, if I ever go to Lakewood, I know now to find Styled Child and go there because they will be nice to me. I read the name on this very thread.

ETA - look at what Watergirl posted about her mother in law. So you, as the store owner, would abandon that woman, who came into your store FIRST, because she looks blah and looks like she is there to waste your time. You make a $2000 sale with Mrs. Money, and you loose a HUGE sale from her mother in law. And you claim in your quote above that its bad business sense to loose out on the bigger sale? How the heck do you know anything? I hope you really arent a business owner!

I recently needed to do a tiny repair job on my carpet in a rental apartment. I called a company who came on a recommendation. They knew it was a TINY job - $200 only. I was shocked when they sent 4 workers to the job. I actually called the owner to thank him later and I asked why he took my tiny job so seriously. He could have sent those same 4 guys to a much more lucrative job! He said, "a small job in a rental today will be a big job when you are zoche to own, if you are happy with our service". Guess what - I've told countless people to hire them based on the excellent workmanship, professional attitude, and price. But YOUR company would likely skip over me if someone better came along. Hows that for business sense?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 11:45 am
pointyshoes wrote:
I saw that too! She was in Switzerland and there was a handbag for like $800,000 or something insane and the woman wouldn't show it to her because she's black so she thought she couldn't afford it.
Which is strange because if I would work in that store, I wouldn't think that anyone could afford a handbag of that price no matter the color of their skin!

Oprah, turned it in to a race issue.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ent.....24327

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Then you have clearly not read this thread at all if you are saying this. Read my previous post. How do you have the right to decide based on looks who to help? If you (the woman in your hypothetical - I know youre not talking about yourself here - I hope) dont help everyone with the same attention, you may very well loose customers.

Lets say you help the person who walks out with a $15 top. Youve lavished attention on her just as you would have with a wealthy looking lady. She leaves feeling great, tells her friends, they now come to shop too - and that includes wealthy woman. Also, she may come back when she has serious money to spend...

You're onto something here.
I'm a trained sheitelmacher and I once heard from a (non-Jewish) celebrity hairdresser that every customer has to be treated like the Queen Bee.
When the ladies go out to lunch, there's one lady that's the Queen Bee and everyone wants to know where she got her hair and nails done and where she shops.
Now you have no idea which lady sitting in your chair today is the Queen Bee so you treat them all like they are. And that my friends, is business

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:45 pm
I've rarely been ignored in a store. But I don't shop in expensive boutiques. On the contrary, I like being left on my own to browse rather than being hovered over.

One exception that happened just a few days ago - I was actually ignored in Walmart. I just wanted to know in which aisle to find something.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:48 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I've rarely been ignored in a store. But I don't shop in expensive boutiques. On the contrary, I like being left on my own to browse rather than being hovered over.

One exception that happened just a few days ago - I was actually ignored in Walmart. I just wanted to know in which aisle to find something.

Ah Walmart....

I was once shopping in Walmart, and was looking for a specific item. I saw what looked to me like a salesperson. She was wearing the Walmart blue-top uniform, and she was wearing a tag necklace, but it was turned backwards, so I approached her with my question.

You would've thought I was the stupidest person on the planet. She started screaming at me that she's on break now, don't I see that her tag is turned backwards? That means she's on break, and I'm disturbing her break!

I mean, how dumb can I get, not knowing that if the tag is turned the wrong way, that means the employee is on break!

Duh!

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 1:53 pm
Wow, Chayalle - that's totally crazy!

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 2:05 pm
A Walmart employee was rude to me because I couldn't immediately understand what she said due to her very heavy accent.
But that's Walmart. You don't expect better.

debsey

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 2:55 pm
Maya wrote:
A Walmart employee was rude to me because I couldn't immediately understand what she said due to her very heavy accent.
But that's Walmart. You don't expect better.
in theory, Walmart's willingness to hire diverse people, including developmentally delayed adults, is great. As the mom of an autistic son, I applaud it. In practice, it sometimes gets sticky, like the time a woman insisted to me that Walmart doesn't carry diapers! I finally asked her for the baby aisle, and she directed me to the toys! But it's Walmart, and one thing they aren't is snobby. Occasionally ride, but never snobby.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 3:19 pm
OP

Maybe the salesladies really were scared of hurting you.You say you dress simply and don't usually buy in such stores or look like the type of person who does. Maybe they really didn't feel comfortable with showing you clothes and then having you embarrass yourself by admitting you can't afford it.

I'm sure they had such experiences in the past.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 3:26 pm
debsey wrote:
in theory, Walmart's willingness to hire diverse people, including developmentally delayed adults, is great. As the mom of an autistic son, I applaud it. In practice, it sometimes gets sticky, like the time a woman insisted to me that Walmart doesn't carry diapers! I finally asked her for the baby aisle, and she directed me to the toys! But it's Walmart, and one thing they aren't is snobby. Occasionally ride, but never snobby.

I don't shop at Walmart except in dire situations because of their wages policies, but I did not know about their hiring policies. Thank you for making me aware of that.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 3:45 pm
I went on before pesach to buy a yarmulka with a name on it for my son. This was a store that I had never been to before but specialized in that. They said deadline to have by yom tov was 1:00 I was there at 10.
I went in the sales lady was helping someone buying a bunch of yarmulkss. I need one and knew what I wanted.
After 15 minutes of standing there totally IGNORED I asked for some help. She called total he back asking if someone can help a customer. One girl answered no...too busy sorry....just like that.
Then someone else came and took my order. The promised it before yom tov.
Never got a call it's ready.
I lost receipt and couldn't find number ANYWHERE. 2 days before yom tov I called the store next door to ask if they had it and they gave it to me. There was a message that we are closed for yom tov. They also said they have an online site. I went online and emailed them for my yarmulka. (It was a really big deal to my son and matched ALL his new outfits)
3 hours before yom tov I get an email back. Saying....
I just came to the store to get something and see ur email. U can come in next 10 minutes to get it. I emailed back I live 25 minutes away...which is the truth and maybe since they didn't ever answer the phone or em6me back they should deliver it. They said no and they r leavibg in 5 minutes and will put it on the store door. If I want it I should come get it.

Dh ran out to get it.
I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER GO BACK TO THAT STORE.
And not because of the fact they didn't call me...the attitude was horrible.

The next time I got a custom yarmulka I went to their competition in a house and paid more. And I am happy I did. They dont deserve the business.

debsey

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 4:36 pm
Maya wrote:
I don't shop at Walmart except in dire situations because of their wages policies, but I did not know about their hiring policies. Thank you for making me aware of that.

Yes, I shop in Walmart because of that policy. Was made aware of it by an autism parenting group I belong to.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:
I went on before pesach to buy a yarmulka with a name on it for my son. This was a store that I had never been to before but specialized in that. They said deadline to have by yom tov was 1:00 I was there at 10.
I went in the sales lady was helping someone buying a bunch of yarmulkss. I need one and knew what I wanted.
After 15 minutes of standing there totally IGNORED I asked for some help. She called total he back asking if someone can help a customer. One girl answered no...too busy sorry....just like that.
Then someone else came and took my order. The promised it before yom tov.
Never got a call it's ready.
I lost receipt and couldn't find number ANYWHERE. 2 days before yom tov I called the store next door to ask if they had it and they gave it to me. There was a message that we are closed for yom tov. They also said they have an online site. I went online and emailed them for my yarmulka. (It was a really big deal to my son and matched ALL his new outfits)
3 hours before yom tov I get an email back. Saying....
I just came to the store to get something and see ur email. U can come in next 10 minutes to get it. I emailed back I live 25 minutes away...which is the truth and maybe since they didn't ever answer the phone or em6me back they should deliver it. They said no and they r leavibg in 5 minutes and will put it on the store door. If I want it I should come get it.

Dh ran out to get it.
I WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER GO BACK TO THAT STORE.
And not because of the fact they didn't call me...the attitude was horrible.

The next time I got a custom yarmulka I went to their competition in a house and paid more. And I am happy I did. They dont deserve the business.

No way I would drive 25 minutes each way on an Erev pesach to deliver one yarmulke. I don't care if I'd lose that customer forever.

zzzz

Post Fri, Jul 29 2016, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
No way I would drive 25 minutes each way on an Erev pesach to deliver one yarmulke. I don't care if I'd lose that customer forever.

You missed the point. It was all the events that led up to customer having to ask to deliver it erev pesach that shows a total lack of respect towards customer and no customer service at all.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jul 30 2016, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:

Ur right and I wouldn't either except that they not only lost me but I have a big family and no one will shop there now....and again if they would have been courteous and apologized I probably would be ok. U r allowed to mess up but not that many times on one order.

happy12

Post Sat, Jul 30 2016, 11:15 pm
Regarding the yarmulke. You went on one of the busiest times of the year. They were right to serve the other lady first even if she had a larger order. She was there first. The only thing the store may have done wrong was not call you that the order was ready unless their policy is not to call.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Jul 30 2016, 11:23 pm
I have an online shop with online chat. it shows me how much is in the customers cart- so say there are 3 ppl asking for help at once you can help the highest value shopper first.
Not designed by any frum person, this is a universal feature of most online chat software I looked into. So, if you want instant help...Load up your cart!!!
Or in a store, start pulling expensive garments...and then ask for assistance LOL !!

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Jul 30 2016, 11:25 pm
happy12 wrote:
Regarding the yarmulke. You went on one of the busiest times of the year. They were right to serve the other lady first even if she had a larger order. She was there first. The only thing the store may have done wrong was not call you that the order was ready unless their policy is not to call.

You are right. They had every right to serve other lady first but it was a packed store and one sales person. I had no problem waiting and waited for a good 20 minutes before saying something but the attitude was horrible.
They did promise to call when it was ready and if it was such a busy time of year...don't close 2 days BEFORE yom tov. I tried calling...I passed by a couple times as I went to other stores nearby to shop for yom tov.
It was just the attitude of we don't care about the customer.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics